[Albion] AEK Athens - ticketing process, tiers and all that jazz

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Got a hotel Monastiraki square. Looks a decent central location near bars and handily near the buses. No idea if any good having never been before ?

Yep, great spot. Straight from the Airport on the Metro - it was €9 in the summer I think

I know Athens fairly well - it's a great place, I would however echo the club's comments on pickpockets - especially on the metro.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Apparently there will be buses one single convoy from the original olympic stadium. Also when researching how to get into Athens from the airport there appears to be a decent metro system so I think getting around should be fine. I am really looking forward to this one. I've really only got one day there but am staying nearby to the acropolis and the proposed ticket pick-up site and possible shuttle departure point.
Yes good metro from airport, but not for me. First train from airport is 06.32 and I land at 03.50. Even with non EU line I can't see over two hours to pass through customs.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Yep, great spot. Straight from the Airport on the Metro - it was €9 in the summer I think

I know Athens fairly well - it's a great place, I would however echo the club's comments on pickpockets - especially on the metro.
Yes - still €9 (I was there a few weeks ago). The thing to remember with the Athens Metro is that the Airport services only run every half an hour, and I think stop around midnight. And on your return journey you'll probably find yourself at a Metro station (eg: Monastiraki) where there are loads of other services (ie, NOT to the airport) - so make sure you get on the right one!

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
I won't be getting shuttle buses or my mates similar to marseille if your not stupid it's fine no chance I'm risking getting buses

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
Are you able to pop round this weekend and take care of all my maths-related chores please?

I'll be watching the Man City game, so we could possibly combine the two.
Would love to help out young feller but i will be in Manchester (if trains are willing).
What i have done though as i was wondering about the difference between theoretical 1625 and actual 1580 was to count the seats in each block and i make it 697 in 46, 426 in 47 and 503 in 48. A total of 1626 so pretty much a done deal.
Block 47 was particularly difficult to count with it being such a v shape and every row having either 4 or 5 seats at each end which are blacked out and obviously not able to be used at all otherwise it would have been a lot more.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Would love to help out young feller but i will be in Manchester (if trains are willing).
What i have done though as i was wondering about the difference between theoretical 1625 and actual 1580 was to count the seats in each block and i make it 697 in 46, 426 in 47 and 503 in 48. A total of 1626 so pretty much a done deal.
Block 47 was particularly difficult to count with it being such a v shape and every row having either 4 or 5 seats at each end which are blacked out and obviously not able to be used at all otherwise it would have been a lot more.
I'm going to be checking your work, and if you've made a mistake I'm going to be FUMING.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Yes good metro from airport, but not for me. First train from airport is 06.32 and I land at 03.50. Even with non EU line I can't see over two hours to pass through customs.
We may be on the same plane! I was going to hang around the airport as I am only booked into the hotel for the Thursday. There is also an express bus service as well as cabs at the airport.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I won't be getting shuttle buses or my mates similar to marseille if your not stupid it's fine no chance I'm risking getting buses
And again in English please.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
We may be on the same plane! I was going to hang around the airport as I am only booked into the hotel for the Thursday. There is also an express bus service as well as cabs at the airport.
I'm the day before, fly out Tuesday, hotel from Wednesday.

Nicks

Just changed my booking on booking.com to a two bed apartment with breakfast from the Square we are going from etc.
Got two nights for two people at £139.00
Going to work out cheaper than Marseille I reckon

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
It's a long walk (20 mins) from the passport control to the metro.

Yes, cabs are plentiful, but not cheap - it's not a ten minute journey into central Athens and the metro is pretty good - I was last there in July and I think it was €9.00 to take the metro to Monastiraki or Syntagma (Blue line)

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Just changed my booking on booking.com to a two bed apartment with breakfast from the Square we are going from etc.
Got two nights for two people at £139.00
Going to work out cheaper than Marseille I reckon
Certainly cheaper to drink (away from the main tourist traps) and grab a Gyros for about €4.00 - again away from the main attractions.

One thing that central Athens has is a lot of roof top bars, some with great views over the Acropolis.

The Colonel

Sep 4, 2023
I land at 23:15. It says the metro runs until 00:30 but I'm guessing probably not from as far out as the airport. Can anyone who has been to Athens before tell me if I have any chance of making it or if I need to accept paying for a taxi?

So looks like there will be around 700 left on Monday morning as opposed the 350 Ajax scramble which proved poor odds for many of us. I thought there was an outside chance it might get beyond Tier 2 but on a knife edge now

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
I land at 23:15. It says the metro runs until 00:30 but I'm guessing probably not from as far out as the airport. Can anyone who has been to Athens before tell me if I have any chance of making it or if I need to accept paying for a taxi?
The last metro leaves the airport at 23:30. But the x95 bus runs all night (more or less every 20 mins) and drops you off at Syntagma. It'll take about an hour (compared to 40 mins on the metro) and costs €5.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports