[Albion] AEK Athens - ticketing process, tiers and all that jazz

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Last time I went I used Uber and freenow taxis. Really easy. The centre is not that big. Don't envisage too many issues. And I don't think we will be bussed around
What I mean is

Place de la joliette to velodrome was 5km

Cruyff arena to dam square is 10km but one metro line

Opap arena to acropolis/city centre is 12km and 20 stops on a bus etc etc

Not sure uber will be a possible option post game

If the arrangements were that easy or cut and dried we would known before today I'm sure. That we didnt until now indicates a level of uncertainty from those organising (i suspect on the home side). That may well permeate down to the matchday experience. As it is i understand we will have some form of bus experience

As i say i have no doubt it will be another great trip

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Got a hotel Monastiraki square. Looks a decent central location near bars and handily near the buses. No idea if any good having never been before ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've tried to research recent British visitors to AEK Athens to see what the score was, and there's nothing much out there.

Leicester were the last visitors, but that was in October 2020, when Covid was doing its thing. I can't see any indication Leicester fans were allowed to travel.

Prior to that it was Celtic in August 2018. I thought I'd be able to find some details or Celtic fan vlogs but I've failed so far.

If you've read this far, thank you, as I've provided absolutely no value whatsoever.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
The club have published AEK info...
  1. Ticket collection will be situated a short walk from the Melina Mercouri Monument, where there are plenty of bars and restaurants.
  2. 15 minutes walk from the monument is where we are advised the meeting point for the shuttle buses will be.
  3. We await confirmation from AEK Athens but understand shuttle buses will take supporters to the stadium from outside Panathenaic Stadium (this is NOT the home of Panathinaikos, but the location of the first Olympic Games, also known as Kallimarmaro).
  4. We expect shuttle buses will leave in one large convoy at 4.45pm, through central Athens to the stadium.
  5. Expect a hold back of at least 45 minutes post-match in the visitor supporter seating.
  6. Street crime, including pickpocketing can take place in Athens. Be vigilant, take sensible precautions and have valid travel insurance. For safety advice please click here.
Getting picked up for an Albion game from outside the first (modern) Olympic stadium. How fantastic.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Can I defer to those of you who know their onions and get some kind of idea whether me (Tier 3) and my son (Tier 2) are likely to get tickets come Monday? He's doing my head in.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
The club have published AEK info...
  1. Ticket collection will be situated a short walk from the Melina Mercouri Monument, where there are plenty of bars and restaurants.
  2. 15 minutes walk from the monument is where we are advised the meeting point for the shuttle buses will be.
  3. We await confirmation from AEK Athens but understand shuttle buses will take supporters to the stadium from outside Panathenaic Stadium (this is NOT the home of Panathinaikos, but the location of the first Olympic Games, also known as Kallimarmaro).
  4. We expect shuttle buses will leave in one large convoy at 4.45pm, through central Athens to the stadium.
  5. Expect a hold back of at least 45 minutes post-match in the visitor supporter seating.
  6. Street crime, including pickpocketing can take place in Athens. Be vigilant, take sensible precautions and have valid travel insurance. For safety advice please click here.
Shuttle buses.

I have collapsed into a state of PTSD.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Can I defer to those of you who know their onions and get some kind of idea whether me (Tier 3) and my son (Tier 2) are likely to get tickets come Monday? He's doing my head in.
People in Tier 2 should have a very good chance as long as you get on at 9 and move quickly.

It's a bit unknown beyond that, I think, which doesn't help you a great deal, I appreciate. If you won't go without him, then you just need to sit on your hands and hope there are tickets left for Tier 3 when you can buy together. If there are tickets left, move like lightning!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Shuttle buses.

I have collapsed into a state of PTSD.
Whilst I know the specific details have not been firmed up yet, there's no mention of it being "mandatory" to use them yet.

A single convoy is interesting.

In Marseille they had 21 buses, but they were working in smaller groups. I think our convoy to the ground was made up of five coaches.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
People in Tier 2 should have a very good chance as long as you get on at 9 and move quickly.

It's a bit unknown beyond that, I think, which doesn't help you a great deal, I appreciate. If you won't go without him, then you just need to sit on your hands and hope there are tickets left for Tier 3 when you can buy together. If there are tickets left, move like lightning!
Thanks!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think it could be more like 700 left for Monday. We've seen with both the other games that almost all tickets are sold when a new window opens.

It again shows lots of people pre-registered who didn't go on to buy. Maybe there should be a financial commitment involved in pre-registration?
Why?

All pre-registration does is set the points limits based on a sub-set of fans who registered instead of based on 23,000 or so STHs. The pool is already smaller. It makes no difference whether you then fail to buy, in fact, it gives lower tiers a chance.

I pre-registered for both Ajax and Athens before the points bands were known (as pre-registration creates them). However, I only have three days leave I can use this year and was only ever going to do one of them. Once I'd got my Ajax ticket (I was T1) I was never going to get an Athens one. It means two tickets left over for people with fewer points who can build up their total. I fail to see why any Albion fan would think that would need legislating against.

Plus you'd be asking for a financial commitment from people with no chance of buying or who were in a mad scramble like for Ajax!

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
No alcohol in ground but free to smoke/vape.

An hour convoy through central Athens - lovely!
You don't have to get the busses though.

After Marseille I can't understand why anyone would want get on a bus laid on by the club especially several hours before kick off when you can't get a peeve at the ground.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Scores on the doors people?
Whilst I know the specific details have not been firmed up yet, there's no mention of it being "mandatory" to use them yet.

A single convoy is interesting.

In Marseille they had 21 buses, but they were working in smaller groups. I think our convoy to the ground was made up of five coaches.
That's good.

I've got some Greek mates I'd like to spend time with. Making our own way there, or at least having the choice. Would be great.

EDIT: 750ish left. I'd say, with a healthy dose of optimism for someone in Tier 2, that they should be OK, there might also be some left for Tier 3, but not many.

1697802758293.png

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports