Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Advice please regarding data recovery memory stick.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

I have been unable to access my data on my recovery stick.

It has a bloody years critical work on it (I know I should have backed up etc !)

I friend has had a look and it seems that the solder has perished and he will try to solder it for me, however he is not hopeful.

I have been online and there seems to be lots of 'Data Recovery' companies that claim to be able to solve this problem and recover my data for me.

Has anyone had to use these and has anyone got any recommendations ?

Better still are there any companies here in Sussex that might have the expertise to recover this data ?

Thanks, fingers crossed.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I friend has had a look and it seems that the solder has perished and he will try to solder it for me, however he is not hopeful.
Most data recovery requests are to recover deleted data. But you're saying that's not your issue, you have a physically broken stick. When you put it in a PC, it doesn't look blank, but the PC doesn't recognise it at all I assume.

Decide how much your data is worth to you before you let an unhelpful friend have a bash at it.

Wondergull

Nov 24, 2004
Brooklyn, New York
I dropped my external hard drive with all my music and photos etc. When I plugged it in my laptop didn't find the device. I took it to a local computer shop (I live in London though) and they were able to copy all of my data over on to a new external hard drive so maybe contact a local shop? I would suggest you do that before your friend gets the soldering iron out though

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Does the machine recognise it and show it as an empty drive or just fail to recognise it ?
If the former, Try it in a Linux box or a mac. If the second one, heck, it's only a year.

Also try uninstalling the device driver - it may be the driver has corrupted.

There are programs about that claim to recover stuff from USB sticks and some will show you what's there before you buy, have a look on majorgeeks.com

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Cheers guys,

My mate does ITC for a living but not the recovery bit.

My PC recognised the device but when I went to open it, it prompted me 'insert disc in F drive'.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
In that case it sounds like the File Allocation Table is screwed; did you remove it before unmounting it ?
This means the data should be recoverable but don't let anyone at it with a soldering iron until everything else has been tried, too much heat can fry a chip.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Give Diamond Computers a go if you want a local data recovery service.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here