Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Advice please - Learning Guitar (BASIC)

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Hi all,

I was given an acoustic guitar for Christmas which I was delighted about. I had an old electric one knocking about but never bothered plugging in so thought best to switch to acoustic and actuallytry learn the damn thing.

I am BASIC BASIC level. Think basic......I'm below that. I can probably play 10/15 or so chords, did the standard learning Wonderwall (just the chords, I make up my own strumming patern). I can probably tell you 5 of the chords I'm playing. Learnt a few songs to pick at but not even skilled enough to use a plectrum. All finger picky twangy things.

I need some guidance on where to even start. There's a world of apps, free and priced, all saying they are the best way to learn. I don't even know where to start. Do you have any good recommendations for apps etc to try and get me going?

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Personally (been playing for 18 years now) I would avoid all the apps/courses entirely. It sounds like you're doing this for personal enjoyment and are committed to learning so probably best to continue with that as the driving force rather than getting things technically perfect. No need to learn all of your scales if you're never going to use them.

Find songs you like, learn the chords to them using Ultimate Guitar, start slowly and keep practising. Once you feel comfortable with chords, do some reading. Find out why those chords work and learn how to read tablature as a next step - find the songs you like, learn the melodic parts using tabs on Ultimate Guitar, start slowly and keep practising.

Rinse and repeat, and gradually you'll get better and understand them more clearly. If something is too hard, don't feel indebted to spending months learning it, put it aside for when you've developed a little more and revisit it. Stick with the stuff you want to play though - it gets boring otherwise. Be patient as well and build up those calluses!

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
I've only been playing for a few years, but I always liked Justin Guitar on YouTube when I was starting out. Good selection of songs to play at various levels, and breaks them down in a helpful way.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Personally (been playing for 18 years now) I would avoid all the apps/courses entirely. It sounds like you're doing this for personal enjoyment and are committed to learning so probably best to continue with that as the driving force rather than getting things technically perfect. No need to learn all of your scales if you're never going to use them.

Find songs you like, learn the chords to them using Ultimate Guitar, start slowly and keep practising. Once you feel comfortable with chords, do some reading. Find out why those chords work and learn how to read tablature as a next step - find the songs you like, learn the melodic parts using tabs on Ultimate Guitar, start slowly and keep practising.

Rinse and repeat, and gradually you'll get better and understand them more clearly. If something is too hard, don't feel indebted to spending months learning it, put it aside for when you've developed a little more and revisit it. Stick with the stuff you want to play though - it gets boring otherwise. Be patient as well and build up those calluses!
Brilliant advice, Listen to the songs you are practicing too. You'll learn loads and put how songs are put together.

Then you can dip in and out of youtube videos for technique and theory stuff.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL

This is great advice. Ultimate guitar is absolutely your best friend and if you're unsure, the pro version is quite handy. I write tabs on there myself.

Playing songs like seven nation army can really build your confidence, even if basic. As mentioned, learning to read a tab is necessary for this.

Learning how to change between them is very important. I'd start with 5 major chords, E, G, C, A, and D personally.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
I've only been playing for a few years, but I always liked Justin Guitar on YouTube when I was starting out. Good selection of songs to play at various levels, and breaks them down in a helpful way.
Second recommendation for Justin guitar here. Just work slowly through his stuff. He's great and very quickly gets you into playing basic versions of songs and good habits and his demeanour is very relaxing.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Once you have learned something make sure you practice it repeatedly.

My dad taught people the guitar for around 40 years and his number one instruction to his pupils was to practice what they had learned as often as possible before the following lesson.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Hi all,

I was given an acoustic guitar for Christmas which I was delighted about. I had an old electric one knocking about but never bothered plugging in so thought best to switch to acoustic and actuallytry learn the damn thing.

I am BASIC BASIC level. Think basic......I'm below that. I can probably play 10/15 or so chords, did the standard learning Wonderwall (just the chords, I make up my own strumming patern). I can probably tell you 5 of the chords I'm playing. Learnt a few songs to pick at but not even skilled enough to use a plectrum. All finger picky twangy things.

I need some guidance on where to even start. There's a world of apps, free and priced, all saying they are the best way to learn. I don't even know where to start. Do you have any good recommendations for apps etc to try and get me going?
I’ve had one for years but wish I had been able to afford lessons when I was younger. I would put myself considerably below you in the skills department. All is not lost. Enjoy Wonderwall, it’s a great song.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I’d agree with Justin Guitar. He has a lot of basic stuff to start with.
I’ve been playing for 13 years. Just keep practising and you’ll get better. Play the stuff you like, and enjoy.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Thinking back nearly 40 years I did it something like this...

#1 make sure it's in tune everything you play it.
first up play 'Wild Thing' by The Troggs for 15minutes a day (A,D and E)
Once that's going well 'Sweet Home Alabama for 15 minutes a day (D, C and G)
And then (This can be tricky) play something with F in it for 15 minutes a day ... I learnt with the introduction to Bowie Queen Bitch (C, G F) and then moved into the whole song (chorus is B and D)

That's got most of the chord shapes covered and you'll find other common chords (Am, E etc.) easy to pick up

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
For tutorial stuff I would agree that Justin guitar is pretty good. I also really like Andy Guitar although a lot of electric stuff.

For guitar tabs I like the android app Songsterr.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Thinking back nearly 40 years I did it something like this...

#1 make sure it's in tune everything you play it.
first up play 'Wild Thing' by The Troggs for 15minutes a day (A,D and E)
Once that's going well 'Sweet Home Alabama for 15 minutes a day (D, C and G)
And then (This can be tricky) play something with F in it for 15 minutes a day ... I learnt with the introduction to Bowie Queen Bitch (C, G F) and then moved into the whole song (chorus is B and D)

That's got most of the chord shapes covered and you'll find other common chords (Am, E etc.) easy to pick up
The first song I learned to 'play' was 'leaving on a Jet Plane' it was a 3 chorder. Neither me nor my parents had it on tape or vinyl so I never knew how it actually went so I developed my own assumptions off 3 chords. A few years later I heard it for the first time on the radio. I was like, 'I don't know who this Denver geezer is but he's murdering leaving on a jet plane'

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
seems easy to follow, loads of free tuba lessons
It's very good, but I thought he wanted to learn guitar...?

200.gif

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
How do you quieten down a guitarist ?
Put a sheet of music in front of them

How do you get them to shut up ?
Put notes on it

Good luck and have fun :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here