Advice on Notice periods at work - what are the options?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
I have just been hauled into his office and been accused of letting the cat out of the baf - I have not said a word to anyone.

Although they might not want you to let colleagues, clients, suppliers, etc. that you had handed your notice in I very much doubt there is any policy or your contract to say you can't?

kjgood

It Depends

Ideally you should see your notice period out and be proactive and enthusiastic to the last day. Benefits of this include:

A chance of your current employers speaking well of you especially if your trade involves a tight knit community where people move around between a few companies.

If things dont work out in your new company, theres a chance you may be able to go back.

Your new company if they are worth working for will recognise your loyalty and sense of fair play to your current employers. Remember someone will think if he did it to them, will he do it to us?

You may get a free party if you have been there for a while and are well respected.

Consequences:

The opposite of the above, plus they may chase you for damages.

thony

Jul 24, 2011
Hollingbury
You are contractually obliged to serve your notice period (unless your employer agrees otherwise). However, what would happen if you were to break your contract and leave early? What would your employer do about it? In practise, most companies will do nothing because the cost of pursuing you outweighs the benefit. Many employers will climb down from insisting the full notice period is served if this simple reality is pointed out to them.

This ties in with the advice I got from a recruitment agency when I wanted to leave a previous company. The recommendation was to hand in my notice, stating the date I wished to leave, and that then left the ball in their court as to whether they wanted to ask me to work a longer notice period. In my case, it became moot because I was offered redundancy before I had to hand my notice in.

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
Turning to the great and good of NSC.

A new opportunity has come up that on so many fronts is a much more attractive option than where I am.

I handed in my notice to much gnashing of teeth - 8 week notice period.

Tried to negotiate a shorter exit - I am not going to a competitor.

I am now being handed down nightmare projects to do, a complete disaster for the next 7 weeks or so is looming. I have 9 days holiday to take it down to about 6 weeks but even this feels like a lifetime.

What are the ramifcations of forcing an earlier exit......I have no idea but cannot face the thought of 7 weeks like the last one!

Any advice or thoughts really appreicated.

Are there no office party's or lunchtime drinks planned that enable you to get bladdered and dance semi-naked on your desk?

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
oh dear - that takes me back. What an epic Chirstmas party night that was - I still remember thinking after the third or fourth Stella by 11am that it probably wasnt going to end up as a good day.

Since then I have never attended a Christmas party. Although that job was one I was glad to leave I think the level of behaviour sank so low that night that I couldnt handle the shame again. It was the Sunday dreading coming in to work to find out the extent of the trouble I was in that stands out.

I have told work here that ideally the sooner the better and that I would like to be free by mid-September but my boss seems to be in the mind-set of 'you've caused me a problem so i will not make this easy.'

I cant bring myself to say that I shan't make an effort but deep down it's difficult to keep the focus and the two hour each-way commute when you know that it's not part of the long-term future.

I dont know why they dont just cut their losses but seems it will be a war of attrition.

If a month after I had handed my notice in I simply walked - what would happen?

If you do not serve your notice period a company can sue you for losses. But, and this is the clincher, they then HAVE to PROVE that they have suffered material loss by you leaving and because of this most companies will not sue. I am in a similar position right now and check with the company solicitor, a friend as it happens, as to whether they would sue me.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Guess its a bit late now, but it would have been best if you had not told them where you were going which you are well within your rights to do, and when asked if you were going to a competitor advise that you would rather not say, again within your rights and would not be lying.
They would of course take this as meaning you were going to a competitor and get shot ASAP but at the same time your conscience would have been clear having not lied to them.

This what i did some 20 years ago and got 3 month garden leave.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If you contract states 8 weeks I think your options are only negotiate, I am on 12 weeks notice and they are very strict where we are.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Work out the notice period , it will prove to yourself on a personal level you can handle the shit that is flung at you until you leave. Leave a month early and you're a wimp.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Be excellent. Have pride in honouring your contract. Work not even a second more than your contracted hours, and basically ignore any shit from the boss.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports