Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Advice on how to block telemarketing/annoying calls...

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Am I right in thinking there is a free and no-strings-attached website/service you can register your phone number on to block those bloody annoying telesales types?

Thanks in advance.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Yep, I believe its called the TPR (telephone protection register) google it and have a look at the site, I've joined and its stopped a lot of calls.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Yep, I believe its called the TPR (telephone protection register) google it and have a look at the site, I've joined and its stopped a lot of calls.

Great. Thanks [MENTION=20792]spongy[/MENTION]

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
I tend to save my aggression up just to release on these wankers, especially if there's 2 weeks between Albion games. Let them give it the large 'my name is...I'm calling from.....' then tell them to do a f***ing large one in no uncertain terms. If that don't work, come on NSC and vent your spleen :)

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
They will keep calling you until you say:

'Put my number on your don't-call list'

Your number is like gold dust to them. Be very selective who you give your personal information to, the worst are the charities, the companies hired on their behalf make millions! All off the back of disasters and treading a fine line between bulling and persuasion.

Or
STOP spam & cold callers: How to stop the junk, incl free 'no cold callers' sign...

STOP SPAM CALLS TO MOBILES & LANDLINES

It is illegal for UK companies to call any individual who has indicated they don't want the calls.

To do this, you simply join the Telephone Preference Service register. It takes about 28 days after registering for calls to be stopped, including both automated messages and live calls.

Web: TPS Online. You can also use this to stop distressing calls to a deceased relative.
Phone: 0800 398 893

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
TPS is the Telephone Preference Service , it will reduce the number of calls once you register. Ofcom need to tighten up the regulations because there has been a substantial increase of nuisance telemarketing calls over the last 18 months as companies blatantly ignore the rules regarding opt outs (PPI refund claim , personal injury claim) plus the use of call centres abroad telemarketing under the guise of surveys to find out personal information.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Or just have some fun with them.

I'm having a great time with the solar panel cold callers at the moment. I let them go through all their sales pitch, before calmly informing them I live in a ground floor flat, and no, I don't own the roof.

I'm sure one day, I'm going to let the rep come round :)

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
How can marketing texts stop? I seem to get 2-3 a day with PPI refunds etc. texting back stop doesnt stop them.

judewri

Oct 7, 2003
west sussex
I've got a " true call box" first seen on dragons den - does the trick - only let's through the calls you want - no more sales calls for me - highly recommended !!!!!!!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I often wind them up. One of my latest is after they say calls are recorded for "quality and training" purposes I warn them I tend to swear a lot. then as they go through thier patter I keep saying "f**k **f" , "c**t" , "b*ll*cks" etc until they hang up.
Another good one, if it's a woman calling, is to try and get her off script and chat her up.

A couple of years ago mrs H said I had gone over the top after I told a local double glazing firm that if their bloke knocked my door I would kill him and eat him.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Calls from india can be quite interesting as they like football. They're also very proud of their country. I always ask where they're calling from, i tell them i've been to india and loved it, we chat a bit about the country. Then i ask about football. I had quite a long chat last season with "Bob" from Bombay who had enjoyed the Liverpool Albion game. This seems to work, either they get irritated that i won't talk about the call and hang up or like Bob they don't seem to worry about being recorded for trainingpurposes and we chat about the Albion!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I often wind them up. One of my latest is after they say calls are recorded for "quality and training" purposes I warn them I tend to swear a lot. then as they go through thier patter I keep saying "f**k **f" , "c**t" , "b*ll*cks" etc until they hang up.
Another good one, if it's a woman calling, is to try and get her off script and chat her up.

A couple of years ago mrs H said I had gone over the top after I told a local double glazing firm that if their bloke knocked my door I would kill him and eat him.

:bowdown:

I now want to cancel TPS.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
We've been on the telephone preference service for a few years, but still get at least 5 marketing calls per week, they swiftly apologise and hang up when you tell them you're on it.
This one guy from a 'Windows' calls us every few days (I swear it's the same guy, but I'm not too adept at telling Indian accents apart) trying to tell us that our computer has a virus, it throws them if you just ask lots of questions, like "Which computer? We have 6." or reminding him that Windows isn't actually a company, Microsoft is.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
We've been on the telephone preference service for a few years, but still get at least 5 marketing calls per week, they swiftly apologise and hang up when you tell them you're on it.
This one guy from a 'Windows' calls us every few days (I swear it's the same guy, but I'm not too adept at telling Indian accents apart) trying to tell us that our computer has a virus, it throws them if you just ask lots of questions, like "Which computer? We have 6." or reminding him that Windows isn't actually a company, Microsoft is.

I let them talk for about 5/10 minutes and then say I have a MAC..

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

The last part is a well known scam, they try and get you to download software then allow them to access your computer remotely. They're a disgrace, they know full well they're trting to con people and it's not on.

Atleast with telemarketing calls you're not being intentionally conned. Unfortunately for me, the only work I can get at the moment is phone based. Luckily I am on an inbound contract at the moment, but I work in an office where they do all market research on behalf of the Carphone Warehouse and Tesco.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
These calls can be a opportunity to exercise the stress of a day at work, as long as you don't get offensive you can have fun with them remember for them time is money. Always a winner to say you need to turn the kettle/cooker/Hoover etc off first put the phone down and get on with what ever go back after 30 minutes and they have hung up. With PPI text messages we have found a way to stop them when you get one offering a certain amount of cash reply stating some else has offered you more cash and they need to up their offer, so far not one as come back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here