Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Advice needed - Fencing job not completed as expected

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Was it a written quote? On the quote, does it say what fence will be used?
Basically if you've only verbally agreed the fence style then it will be difficult to get a resolution. If its written down then you have a legal contract.

Verbal contracts are legally binding.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

So what happens in arbitration when one says one thing and the other something else ?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
So what happens in arbitration when one says one thing and the other something else ?

It's up to the judge on who he believes (in small claims court anyway). Chances are he/she would believe you when you said you wanted a matching fence, as this is what any normal person would want.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Keep your fingers crossed it blows down on Monday, then claim on insurance.

Not sure house insurance covers fences, in fact I'm pretty sure that it doesn't

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Thanks for the feedback. The plan today is to take photos of both fences and write an email which explains that a) the job looks unfinished and b) it doesn't meet the requirements to look like the original fence and ask how he proposes to rectify.

The quote is by email and doesn't really specify much at all. I have calmed down slightly now and know that I probably wont be chasing a full refund, but will possibly withhold a portion of the labour. As the fence is feather edged it's my neighbour who has the joints, so it was always going to look different (on the other fence I have the joints), so as long as he can sort out the top then I suppose I probably wont notice too much difference.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

In principle they are, in practice, not a chance. A good solicitor can get a client out of most written contracts, verbal ones are virtually impossible to defend. It will go like this.
Did you agree to build a fence in the style of the old one?
Yes

Did you agree to build a fence in the style of the old one
No

Favour of the defendant, gullible customer to pay all costs.

Ask him nicely, if he doesn't change it chalk it up to experience and carry on with life.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Its a garden fence mate not a block of flats, also most smallish contractors these days ask for material costs upfront including myself, if the customer decide's to be smart at least your not out of pocket on the materials.

Disagree, I'm small builder and never ask for a deposit, if initial materials are substantial ie over £1000 then i would only ask for a contribution.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
A close boarded fence, will feature vertical boards on horizontal rails. The boarding can only be on one side, so depending which side your neighbour has the boarding, then your side may be opposite, not technically incorrect, so will not necessarily look identical.
But if you have a capping on your neighbours fence, and you asked it to look the same, then he should have fixed a capping to yours.
Obviously, the post tops should be cut off.
I would e-mail him with a photo of your neighbours fence, and one of his fence, and tell him the labour costs/outstanding balance will be paid when these points are finished to
your approval.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Sorry but this is bollocks, firstly a deposit preserves your capital and also it shows commitment from the customer.

Pretty much agree

Disagree, I'm small builder and never ask for a deposit, if initial materials are substantial ie over £1000 then i would only ask for a contribution.

In general i disagree.

Horses for courses, but clients :)rolleyes:) can be slow and forget to pay, and often have their own financial problems You dont want to stuck on the wrong end of a job chasing them up. I've even had them asking to pay the last bit over two months..

90% of my work is a £5-£10k job, excluding sanitary ware. All sanitary ware is paid 50% deposit, 50% day before delivery.
I ask for £200 in advance to 'hold' the date, and 25/30% of invoice total bank transferred on first day, with two 30% staged payments before and after tiling, and balance within 7 days of completion.

If it's a £100/£500 repair job, then always invoice afterwards.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Pretty much agree

In general i disagree.

Horses for courses, but clients :)rolleyes:) can be slow and forget to pay, and often have their own financial problems You dont want to stuck on the wrong end of a job chasing them up. I've even had them asking to pay the last bit over two months..

90% of my work is a £5-£10k job, excluding sanitary ware. All sanitary ware is paid 50% deposit, 50% day before delivery.
I ask for £200 in advance to 'hold' the date, and 25/30% of invoice total bank transferred on first day, with two 30% staged payments before and after tiling, and balance within 7 days of completion.

If it's a £100/£500 repair job, then always invoice afterwards.

A very fair way of doing things Rowdey, you have to look after yourself when running a business, i have been trading as a plumber for 11 years and keeping on top of getting paid is very important.
The debt collecting side of my business has only had to come out twice!! ( he is not a nice person)

Zen Frenzy

Jul 2, 2013
Withdean
We had similar problem earlier in the year. Job was done on bitter days in January and, to save time and get round tricky access on our side, one of the lads cemented in concrete supports on neighbour's side of the the fence. Cue much agitation and finger jabbing in chest from neighbour. My missus had already paid the bill in full whilst I was working away from home but the firm were great, understood the problem was theirs, and fixed at no additional cost. If they had said "tough s**t", not sure I would have had a leg to stand on as the job-spec had not been precisely defined. Lesson learned: always agree the detail upfront even if it makes you look anally retentive.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Not sure if you actually paid him for the materials or bought them yourself. If the former I would, in the first instance, ask for the receipt for the materials for your records prior to the (any) labour payment. There is a fair chance this may not be forthcoming & if so then you have a further issue & handily further grounds for withholding the labour payment with no argument from him as it is now his 'move '
If he can produce at least you know this was the correct cost & not a concern

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
The debt collecting side of my business has only had to come out twice!! ( he is not a nice person)

Back in 2004, i landed a £90k job refurbing a big flat in South Kensington. The client was a friends dad, and he held out on the last £20k..i was crapping it, and investigated a debt collector, but was told by a very big Greek friend, that it's a last resort, and you dont want to be either side of debt collector..

Nice work tho.. turning someone elses £20k into £30k just like that..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here