Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Advice for Lake District

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
My favourite is Wastwater - it's a bit off the normal tourist circuit, it can be a dark, portentous, broody place - superb for photography - and features some of the highest peaks and deepest waters in England. Not great for exploring with a buggy but limited exploration probably possible around the top end of the lake and you can get watered and fed at the Wasdale Head Inn. To complete your experience of the relatively wilder aspects of the Lake District return to civilisation via the Hardknott Pass.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Here's a couple of pictures I took when I was in the Wastwater iarea n February - they'll either convince you to go or convince you not to go!!

32C8D15D-B8EA-4AA5-9A35-7FF1A2A283A7.jpeg

F8E9A61A-0204-46AA-BA13-FE73F43ABDE4_1_201_a.jpeg

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Here's a couple of pictures I took when I was in the Wastwater iarea n February - they'll either convince you to go or convince you not to go!!

View attachment 151113

View attachment 151114

Looking really nice. Very British, arguably the one kind of environment I usually see from pictures over there that we really don't have over here afaik and something I'll be eager to explore when I finally get my arse over for a visit.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I am visiting my youngest daughter in Ulverston in a couple of weeks and am really looking forward to visiting the Stan Laurel Museum. He was born there and it celebrates the great man's life.

TNBA

TTF
Been there myself, Ulverston quite a nice little town and the L&H museum magical....it pissed down all day when we went !

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I had a Public Inquiry in Ravenglass many years ago, with a locum Solicitor helping me. The path in question was in Boot, so we all went there to look at it. The Solicitor then said 'what's the best way back to Kendal' and unthinkingly I just said 'Hardknott & Wrynose, just follow me - I'm going that way'. Got to Kendal, and he was still white and shaking - he simply said 'never do that to me again'. I simply had no thought that being a visitor to the area he wouldn't have automatically known what to expect, I assumed everyone knew - but he had no prior concept of hills or hairpin bends!!
I think every driver should do this once ...once is enough though and you should get some kind of badge or certificate for doing it !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here