[Albion] Adrian Thorne - RIP

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
5 goals to secure our first ever promotion - what a legacy! If only for that one night, he'll have had memories that lasted him a lifetime. Sad news, condolences to all. RIP.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Legend as highlighted.

5 goals as [MENTION=12935]GT49er[/MENTION] pointed out, what a performance.

RIP

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing

Just had a look at this and was struck by the video footage of the promotion match in 1958 , seeing the Goldstone packed to the rafters with lads sitting on the edge of the pitch during the game . Also the people on the house roof and the copper inconveniently walking across in front of the camera as a goal was scored !
The five goal hero said modestly in his interview about it being a team game , seems a shame he apparently was not given a continuous run in the side later .
RIP Adrian Thorne for ever an Albion legend .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I can't read the original post since the NSC upgrade now blocks me from peeking at posts by people I have on ignore :facepalm:

But....good thread, and RIP.

Why was such a prolific scorer not picked, and nudged outof the club?

Calling the old timers! [MENTION=12935]GT49er[/MENTION]

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Club legend, sadly passed aged 84.

Before my time, but I've heard so much about him.

I can't read the original post since the NSC upgrade now blocks me from peeking at posts by people I have on ignore :facepalm:

But....good thread, and RIP.

Why was such a prolific scorer not picked, and nudged outof the club?

Calling the old timers! [MENTION=12935]GT49er[/MENTION]
Not quite sure who you have on ignore, but two relevant posts quoted so you can now look at them (yes, I know, it's a bloody nuisance now that you can't check on posts from users on ignore).

With regard to your other question, you have to remember that Albion's next league game was a 9-0 (or was it 9-1?) defeat. Pretty much the whole team needed upgrading - including unfortunately young Thorne. The jump from the third to the second division was bigger than we thought and we were badly caught out - pretty much like Saward's team in 1972, although the 58-59 team did manage a pretty remarkable recovery to finish mid-table.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
I was eight years old watching a match at Hanbury Park Stadium, Haywards Heath when the 6-0 win against Watford was announced over the loudspeakers to huge cheers that I remember as if it were yesterday. The win to get us out of the old Third Division (South) for the first time ever, the score and Adrian Thorne's five goals are a major and indelible part of our history. A Brighton boy, too. RIP. Sad news.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
Not quite sure who you have on ignore, but two relevant posts quoted so you can now look at them (yes, I know, it's a bloody nuisance now that you can't check on posts from users on ignore).

With regard to your other question, you have to remember that Albion's next league game was a 9-0 (or was it 9-1?) defeat. Pretty much the whole team needed upgrading - including unfortunately young Thorne. The jump from the third to the second division was bigger than we thought and we were badly caught out - pretty much like Saward's team in 1972, although the 58-59 team did manage a pretty remarkable recovery to finish mid-table.

Quite understand about the following season after promotion ( by the way the 9-0 was that boro and Brian Clough ? ) but he did go on to play in 3 more seasons including being club top scorer with 16 in 60/61 according to the article and was a local boy so still a shame he left / was allowed to leave .

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Never seen that footage before, great stuff!

RIP Adrian.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Quite understand about the following season after promotion ( by the way the 9-0 was that boro and Brian Clough ? ) but he did go on to play in 3 more seasons including being club top scorer with 16 in 60/61 according to the article and was a local boy so still a shame he left / was allowed to leave .

Yes, it was the Brian Clough match at Middlesbrough. Didn't realise Thorne lasted that long with us - but I was a 9 year old boy from a family that didn't go to football matches, with only Sports Report to rely on for information, plus the national dailly paper that Dad bought (which even then concentrated mostly on the 1st. division) - and, surprisingly, the BBC West of England service which covered Brighton! Just a brief report on 'Sport in the West' at 6.15 on a Saturday night - required ear to the speaker, and a lot of crackle to try to blank out to hear it!

Last edited:

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I was 14 when I went to this game. The only way I managed to watch was by climbing on the top the shooting gallery that was made out of railway sleepers, at the side of the South stand and below the old wooden West stand. This wooden stand strangely burnt down that night and the first stage of the West stand we all remember was built in pre season. Great game and night that has lived in my memory all these years
RIP Adrian

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Lovely to see that short clip of him scoring. Is he the last Brighton player to score five in a match?

Before my time, but will always be remembered by Albion fans for that game. RIP

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
My parents were too worried about the potential crowd size for the Watford game and wouldn't let me go to the game. I guess they were right but I was an upset 11 year old so stood in the back garden of our bungalow in Greenfield Crescent and imagined I could hear numerous cheers emanating from the Goldstone area. It was a shame as I'd seen most other games that season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports