Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Adding a STH

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Understand from previous multiple threads on here that it can't be. Would need a new design and build completely.

30k suits us for now. Would hate to be in a soulless Emirates or LS type place full of empty seats or tourists.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Anfield's current and growing 54,000 and Spuds 61,000 on its way, are designed to maintain a vibrant atmosphere. Fans as close to the actual playing area as permitted by UEFA and other reg's. It works.

Arsenal, West Ham (for obvious reasons) and Wembley went for relatively huge distances from the first row of seats to the playing area, especially at the ends. God knows why.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It doesn't look like it would be easy to add more seats to me either - I'm just passing on what Natterjack said many years ago when the stadium was being built (before he was told off by the club for revealing too much information about the stadium). When I mentioned this in another thread several months ago, he also 'liked' that post, which gives me a smidgen of hope! His original suggestion was that the stadium could be expanded to 35K without major structural changes.

We added those seats when the corners were filled in.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I just don't see where an extra 4,000-5,000 seats could possibly be plumbed in, and I don't see them ripping out the existing 30,000 seats and compromising on the comfort to "squeeze us up". The stadium has had its planned expansion with the 2nd tier on the East and the corners being filled. The concourses and exits were designed and built to cater for the current capacity, and the club have said as much on several occasions when this question gets asked.

It would take a major structural upheaval (and HUGE costs). Not gonna happen IMO.

I am in seat 543. The one next to me is 538. That suggests that they could add up to 4 seats per row. I guess that equates to an extra 2000-3000 for minimal effort.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
According to Natterjack, who was a project manager when the stadium was being built, it can be expanded to 35K. Whether that would involve moving the seats closer together or something, I don't know. More recent suggestions from Barber indicate there may be scope to add a few more seats here and there, but not a lot.
Moving the seats closer together wouldn't work as more seats mean extra staircases etc. would have to be built.

May not be so much of an issue though for the pitch level stands ? ???

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Thats the difference some proper fans would put up with a couple of seasons of(an issue) if it meant other Albion fans would benefit:moo:

We already did that chap. For about 14 years or so, if you recall.

But you don't go to games anyway, so whats it got to do with you ? You don't have to put up with anything.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Transport queues, catering queues, capacity in the concourses etc. Never going to happen and pointless anyway. As someone else mentioned, how come with 6000 on the waiting list the tickets for all home games so far have gone on general sale? Watched a few matches in the Championship on TV, even top of the table games, swathes of empty seats. Our atmosphere at home games is immense because the stadium is rammed, would rarely be so with another 5000, even if it was feasible to do. Which it isn't.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Transport queues, catering queues, capacity in the concourses etc. Never going to happen and pointless anyway. As someone else mentioned, how come with 6000 on the waiting list the tickets for all home games so far have gone on general sale? Watched a few matches in the Championship on TV, even top of the table games, swathes of empty seats. Our atmosphere at home games is immense because the stadium is rammed, would rarely be so with another 5000, even if it was feasible to do. Which it isn't.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Possibly because many (not me) baulk at the idea of paying up to £50 for a single game. Whereas they now realise that £550 for 19 PL games is brilliant value.

Also, the tickets left on sale after everyone else has had their pick, are sporadic throughout the ground, often single seats and in the front few rows of the lower tiers.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Possibly because many (not me) baulk at the idea of paying up to £50 for a single game. Whereas they now realise that £550 for 19 PL games is brilliant value.

Also, the tickets left on sale after everyone else has had their pick, are sporadic throughout the ground, often single seats and in the front few rows of the lower tiers.

Fair point

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here