NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I used to have a serious problem with cocaine. I'm four years clean now. Owe a lot of that to support from people on NSC who helped me get through it. You're amazing people! Thank you.

Now I f'ing hate that stuff, the smell of it (like walking into a room when it has just been painted), what it's doing to mates and I'm very rarely on the club scene now. I don't know the damage its done to my heart but if it stops JUST one young person from trying it, my post will have been worth it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
But stopping smoking completely is total abstinence. My question is could someone just have a few fags from time to time and never take it up regularly again.

Good Q. I have 2ish or none a day, 10 a week typically. When Mrs Tackle is away (shhhh!) it may be a binge. I did a quiz once: 'do you spark up first thing' etc etc and scored 0/10 in the addiction test. As for booze, well, I have a wine lake, and take aregular dip. Am I well? Yes. Am I functional? That'll be for you to decide. Do I give a shit? Not at the moment.

Never smoke before 5. Never drink before 6 unless its match day. But . . . . I keep a close watch etc etc.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=j...efox-b-ab&gfe_rd=cr&ei=7TgNWICDGaj38AflirKoBQ

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
But stopping smoking completely is total abstinence. My question is could someone just have a few fags from time to time and never take it up regularly again.

Yes - I do.

Used to smoke 20 a day (more if I was drinking / clubbing) and stopped completely when my son was born nearly 10 years ago. Went halves on a pack of 10 two years ago after a day on the lash at my mate's White Collar Boxing fight and sat up smoking with the same friend this summer after a BBQ when we stayed with them at my mum's place in France. Other than that haven't touched a fag or vape in 10 years.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I used to have a serious problem with cocaine. I'm four years clean now. Owe a lot of that to support from people on NSC who helped me get through it. You're amazing people! Thank you.

Now I f'ing hate that stuff, the smell of it (like walking into a room when it has just been painted), what it's doing to mates and I'm very rarely on the club scene now. I don't know the damage its done to my heart but if it stops JUST one young person from trying it, my post will have been worth it.

It's a pleasure to read your recovery story. I also hope it can play it's part in inspiring people to avoid drugs. There is still too much glorification of drugs culture in the media (and NSC) and much like a few decades ago with cigarettes it is this normalization that encourages new stories of addiction.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Highly dubious about "alcoholism". Drinking a lot does not make you an alcoholic. It's an illness which needs to be treated, and everyone is different in terms of actual treatments.

More to do with pumping a tour I think......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
It's a pleasure to read your recovery story. I also hope it can play it's part in inspiring people to avoid drugs. There is still too much glorification of drugs culture in the media (and NSC) and much like a few decades ago with cigarettes it is this normalization that encourages new stories of addiction.

I don't think Phil Collins can go back to drinking three glasses of wine a day and say he hasn't got a problem with alcoholism. The cliché of 'a slippery slope' is never more so than here. Until he's honest and seeks help he'll end up back at platform zero.

Ta for your kind words. I had to change my mobile number, move away from the area and WANT to change. Never, ever got into debt though. I also went to CA meetings with people I met on here. As I said, if I walk into a freshly painted room I have to get out of there as it makes me feel sick. I enjoy a pint at the football but nowhere else hardly these days and the temptation has lessened the longer I've gone without using over the four years.

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
I smoke and believe me it's bloody difficult to stop and even when I have managed it it never left me and it only took a crisis to throw me back in. And yes, I do know it's killing me.

For god's sake man get a backbone transplant.
I was a thirty to forty a day man until September 13th, 1993 (not that I'm counting :lol: ) when I just decided to stop. It's a little bit of shredded plant leaf rolled up in a piece of paper, why would you let that rule your life? (for those unsure this is a rhetorical question)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was a thirty to forty a day man until September 13th, 1993 (not that I'm counting :lol: ) when I just decided to stop. It's a little bit of shredded plant leaf rolled up in a piece of paper, why would you let that rule your life? (for those unsure this is a rhetorical question)

Please don't ever become a social worker.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Smug
adjective: smug; comparative adjective: smugger; superlative adjective: smuggest
having or showing an excessive pride in oneself or one's achievements.
synonyms: self-satisfied, complacent, self-congratulatory, superior, puffed up, pleased with oneself, self-approving

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I wouldn't say I have any addictions but I am unable to stop once I've started. Having "a beer" seems pointless to me. If I'm going out for a drink I'm going to drink a lot more than one. Usually.

But I don't wake up at 7am and think "I could go for a pint right now".

It isn't just beer I do this with. If there's a pack of biscuits in the house, and I know where they are, I'll eat them all in one sitting. Same with sweets.

I have definite self-control issues. It makes me think that should something terrible happen I could slip to one side and into addiction.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Smug
adjective: smug; comparative adjective: smugger; superlative adjective: smuggest
having or showing an excessive pride in oneself or one's achievements.
synonyms: self-satisfied, complacent, self-congratulatory, superior, puffed up, pleased with oneself, self-approving
That is very good and apt. Better than just throwing a different 4 letter word at burnee54.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I wouldn't say I have any addictions but I am unable to stop once I've started. Having "a beer" seems pointless to me. If I'm going out for a drink I'm going to drink a lot more than one. Usually.

It isn't just beer I do this with. If there's a pack of biscuits in the house, and I know where they are, I'll eat them all in one sitting. Same with sweets.

I have definite self-control issues. It makes me think that should something terrible happen I could slip to one side and into addiction.

I wouldn't worry, sounds normal to me and at least you are aware of what you're doing and not in some kind of denial

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Not all alcoholics are of the brown paper bag, first thing in the morning type. Compulsive problem drinking can be just as harmful. Look after yourself.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I was reading today that Phil Collins suffered from alcoholism, is now recovered BUT still drinks albeit in moderation (if you can call 3 glasses of wine a day moderate).

I have often wondered if anyone with an addiction can recover to control the issue and drink, gamble, take drugs "normally."

Is it really possible? Has he really recovered?

Yours curiously.

This is a weird one and like a few others I have had a few things that i would say were close to an addiction. But is it possible to just have an addictive personality rather than an addiction.

For me it has been cocaine and gambling. Coke when I was around 17-18 always said no when my mates did it but then one night said why not, within a few months I was ignoring friends from years ago to go out with new friends as I knew that they would have some. I ended up moving away for university, changing my phone number and removing a lot of people from MSN Messenger (those were the days) Have only touched it once since and even that was a long time ago. I lost some friends but know it was the best thing to do.

With gambling, I had some money problems and then won big on a football match, it cleared the debt but started the 'addiction'. I ended up having 5 or 6 betting apps on my phone and would budget my monthly spend with an assumed amount of winnings on football and online slots. I rarely matched this but on the occasion that I did I would justify it to myself. This went on for a few years, I now have deleted all bar one account and probably have a flutter 2 or 3 times a year and never more than £10 at a time. What I found really useful was playing the 'For Fun' slots on some gambling sites, seeing how quickly you can lose all that money hit it home massively and I started running a tally of the amount of times I would have walked away with a profit as opposed to carrying on and losing it all - the results were not pretty. I will play them a bit more regularly but just find it fun to gamble with fake money.

So - I would say that it depends on the addition and the person as to whether you can go from an addict to a doing something 'normally'. But also it may be a case that I was never addicted as such and just got into the habit of it through an addictive personality.

One of my young relatives was a confirmed alcoholic who was diagnosed when in hospital for a kidney related illness. He was put on a program by counsellor and has been told to not stop drinking but to reduce it to 3 or 4 standard measures of vodka a day rather than a bottle plus. That will eventually reduce but it would not work if he stopped altogether apparently

This made me think of a very interesting article I read on the BBC a few months ago. I have had a search and it is here for anyone interested - In essence it is an alcohol rehab centre that treats people by giving them wine.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-36717557

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Surely terms like alcoholic are still always going to be down to opinion? There must be many who have problems but may not be considered alcoholics? Anyway, that's a bit of a head ****!

Essentially yes I do believe you can fully recover from addiction. Just look at the amount of people who were addicted to smoking and stopped completely - case closed imo...

Someone once said to me that the definition of an alcoholic was when persistently your actions when drunk impinged on your sober life. I personally think that's a pretty good measure of where your drinking is at.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
This made me think of a very interesting article I read on the BBC a few months ago. I have had a search and it is here for anyone interested - In essence it is an alcohol rehab centre that treats people by giving them wine.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-36717557

yes I remember reading about The Oaks, they get homeless alcoholics off the streets, very interesting treatment and honest.

It's extremely dangerous for a longterm heavy drinker to just stop as they can have a fatal seizure

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here