Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adams vs McGhee

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Billy the Fish said:
The rumour was that we were offered 5 million by Everton a year before we sold him to Spurs. When we sold him we were desperate, everyone knew that and we got a shit price
Exactly. Not sure about £5m but we definitely knocked back bigger offers earlier than the Spurs bid. :(

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Billy the Fish said:
The rumour was that we were offered 5 million by Everton a year before we sold him to Spurs. When we sold him we were desperate, everyone knew that and we got a shit price

When EVerton made that offer we were going for our second succesive Championship. When Zamora went to Spurs we had just been relegated.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It seems clear to me why MM has more trouble enticing players here, we are a division above where we were when MA rebuilt his team, we have much bigger debts and we have sold all our best players and have only used a fraction of the money received to re-invest. MA was given the 2nd biggest budget in Div 4, didn't have to sell at any stage, and did very well with it. I have no doubts MM would do similarly well if he had the 2nd biggest budget in this division this year. Isn't going to happen so MM will continue to work with one hand tied behind his back a division higher than MM was allowed to operate with both hands free, hardly a fair comparison is it?

Last edited:

BarrelofFun said:
There seems to be this fascination with the Adams era and how things would be very different with him.

Adams was a decent manager, don't get me wrong - I was a big fan of his and gutted when he left us but he had one advantage over McGhee. Adams had Bobby Zamora! We were flying high and on the up with Bobby and without him we might well have been languishing in the lower reaches of League One or worse.

If you want to compare Adams and McGhee then you only have to look at their records at this level and above. I think you will find that McGhee stands out above Micky.

A lot of people seem to conveniently forget that we are now in our eigth season at Withdean and we have incurred more and more losses along the way as well as losing the backbone of our team.

We must focus on the positives. We have a group of bright young players who will only improve......

As for this "Adams attracted players....." McGhee has found us some decent signings - Frutos, Henderson, CKR etc. We are always going to be at the back of the queue with wages, and length of contract due to uncertainty of the stadium. We just have to bide our time and continue to develop our youngsters...

Gaining Falmer and the future is bright....

Oh and we will get Falmer! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Well said - if you are given £250,000 at League 2 level, that money should allow you to make an impact on that league. If you are given £250,000 at Championship level, it's a drop in the ocean in terms of you making any impact whatsoever.

That really sums up the respective fates of Adams and McGhee at the Albion.

The way that Adams has struggled near the bottom six with both Leicester and Coventry doesn't make me feel he would have done any better than McGhee if he had been manaaging our meagre resources.

Silent Bob said:
Utter nonsense.
The manager has nothing to do with the price a player is sold for, everyone, including Spurs, knew we got mugged over Bobby.

The manager has everything to do with how a player's value develops at a club.

There is a lot of bullshit spoken on here about McGhee develops talent poorly, but if you can think of a better example of a player's value being developed than Virgo's, out the door under Coppell, turned into a £1.5m player under McGhee, then I'd like to hear it!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Re: Re: Adams vs McGhee

London Irish said:
The way that Adams has struggled near the bottom six with both Leicester and Coventry doesn't make me feel he would have done any better than McGhee if he had been manaaging our meagre resources.

Along with what Icy said two very valid posts. Some people have been spolit by the notion that two Championships and a promotion in four years gives us a god given right to be a football powerhouse.

Adams lost his job at Leicester and just about survives at Coventry, two clubs who are definately bigger than us especially right now. Taylor did well at Hull with a club with a decent stadium and a much larger budget. Coppell likewise. I'd be a liar to say I have implicit faith in McGhee but what a shame it is that so many people lose perspective about our current situation.

I might add that ALL of Adam's predecessors have vanished without trace.

D

Deleted member 2719

London Irish said:
The manager has everything to do with how a player's value develops at a club.

There is a lot of bullshit spoken on here about McGhee develops talent poorly, but if you can think of a better example of a player's value being developed than Virgo's, out the door under Coppell, turned into a �1.5m player under McGhee, then I'd like to hear it!

I agree that McGhee did do well for Virgo but that was because he played him and he was a year older and stronger we all know what a difference a year can do for a player at that age.

Just watch CKR this year.

The question is how much Credit should go to the manager and how much credit goes to the developement of the youngster by the youth team set up???

D

Deleted member 2719

Re: Re: Re: Adams vs McGhee

bhaexpress said:
Along with what Icy said two very valid posts. Some people have been spolit by the notion that two Championships and a promotion in four years gives us a god given right to be a football powerhouse.

Adams lost his job at Leicester and just about survives at Coventry, two clubs who are definately bigger than us especially right now. Taylor did well at Hull with a club with a decent stadium and a much larger budget. Coppell likewise. I'd be a liar to say I have implicit faith in McGhee but what a shame it is that so many people lose perspective about our current situation.

I might add that ALL of Adam's predecessors have vanished without trace.

Just a question to MM fans.

Why is it no decent size club wants him?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Re: Re: Re: Re: Adams vs McGhee

Mouldy Boots said:
Just a question to MM fans.

Why is it no decent size club wants him?

Fair comment but that can be said of the vast majority of League One Managers. Also, he's still under contract with us so we can't realistically afford to get rid of him and any club that might be interested in his services would have to compensate us.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Re: Re: Adams vs McGhee

London Irish said:

I'm sure Coventry didn't finish in the bottom six last season; I could have sworn they had a great run towards the end of the year - and he got Leicester promoted to the Premiership!

I can't see that there's any comparison to be made between Adams and McGhee. The former created a team which is only now being dismantled, which played as a team and achieved great success. McGhee's only real legacy so far is a whole lot of controversy and disharmony. As I say, no comparison.

D

Deleted member 2719

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Adams vs McGhee

bhaexpress said:
Fair comment but that can be said of the vast majority of League One Managers. Also, he's still under contract with us so we can't realistically afford to get rid of him and any club that might be interested in his services would have to compensate us.

I pretty sure that why DK is keeping him purely on finace reasons.

But if he is a good manager that would be known in the game and we would be struggling to keep hold of him, remember this is his league and according to a few on here he probably has the best qualifications for the division.

So are all the clubs in this Division as badly off as us not to pay us any compensation for argueably the best manager in the division?

???

D

Deleted member 2719

Repugnant Toad said:
I'm sure Coventry didn't finish in the bottom six last season; I could have sworn they had a great run towards the end of the year - and he got Leicester promoted to the Premiership!

I can't see that there's any comparison to be made between Adams and McGhee. The former created a team which is only now being dismantled, which played as a team and achieved great success. McGhee's only real legacy so far is a whole lot of controversy and disharmony. As I say, no comparison.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Tooting Gull said:
Adams oversaw £100,000 being spent on Zamora.

McGhee did the same, for £150,000, on Turienzo.

End of thread.

Start of thread.

Dick Knight signed Turienzo.

[worms]

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003

Repugnant Toad said:

If McGhee was too leave now that is how people would look back at it.

Micky Adams is a Legend because he was the manager who turned us around from a poor League 2 side into a side pushing for promotion to the Championship.

However I don't think that has any much bearing on who is the better manager. I think there's a lot to be said for both.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
Carte Blanche for McGhee to underperform again....

Not if his team underperform as badly Sven's did in the World Cup, I'd want him out after 10 games.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Icy Gull said:
Not if his team underperform as badly Sven's did in the World Cup, I'd want him out after 10 games.

Underperform yes, but somehow still got results until the penalties, something McGhee teams did not seem able to do last year. As annoying as the Sven reign has been, in 15 years when people look purely at the stats it will somehow hold up fairly well, after all football is results driven.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
Underperform yes, but somehow still got results until the penalties, something McGhee teams did not seem able to do last year. As annoying as the Sven reign has been, in 15 years when people look purely at the stats it will somehow hold up fairly well, after all football is results driven.

You do realize if MM gets us promoted again this season the record books will show him as one of the most succesful managers this club has ever had, given the level he has managed us at?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Icy Gull said:
You do realize if MM gets us promoted again this season the record books will show him as one of the most succesful managers this club has ever had, given the level he has managed us at?

That has to be the World's iffiest 'If'
:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here