Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Adam Webster *** Signed on 4 year deal ***

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Difference being that two of the three were/are in dire need of decent centre backs. We already have them and are weaker in midfield and attack so where’s the sense in breaking the record for a cb?

I dunno, a back three of Webster, Dunk and Duffy would be pretty solid. I don’t much rate Balogun tbh and wouldn’t be surprised if he left the club sooner rather than later. Not to mention, Clarke is still unproven above L1 so adding another centre back couldn’t hurt. I do agree that there are not pressing positions to strengthen though.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I dunno, a back three of Webster, Dunk and Duffy would be pretty solid. I don’t much rate Balogun tbh and wouldn’t be surprised if he left the club sooner rather than later. Not to mention, Clarke is still unproven above L1 so adding another centre back couldn’t hurt. I do agree that there are not pressing positions to strengthen though.

We also have Burn

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
We also have Burn

Of course, and if we play a back three we will need options to cover suspensions and injuries. Dunk, Duffy, Burn, Clarke and Bernardo (who could also be utilised as a left wingback) offer us a decent amount of cover. However, if we can add another young centre back who would improve on what we already have (thinking of Burn, Clarke and Balogun here) then we should be open to improving the squad even if defenders aren’t all that exciting.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
CH will be gutted we weren’t signing players like this last season rather than pissing about signing forwards :wink:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
My Ipswich supporting Son in law tells me we already have the better ex Ipswich trainee in Matt Clarke!

Cannot see this happening especially at £25 m

Spoke to a VP at our place who is a Pompey fan and he thinks it will take a while for Clarke to get used to the speed of the prem as he said that he is a good player but can be caught out by fast players. Which is slightly worrying.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Spoke to a VP at our place who is a Pompey fan and he thinks it will take a while for Clarke to get used to the speed of the prem as he said that he is a good player but can be caught out by fast players. Which is slightly worrying.

I've spoken to a couple who think he is nailed on to play for England

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I know a family of Bristol City season ticket holders and in their learned opinion he is shithouse.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Difference being that two of the three were/are in dire need of decent centre backs. We already have them and are weaker in midfield and attack so where’s the sense in breaking the record for a cb?
Yes hence my post we need a midfielder, RB and striker more than another CB we do like to collect them.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
just Spoke to a b city season ticket holder .

Says Webster is absolutely brilliant and would walk into our side ( lol )

Pacey , good on the ball and can play midfield .

Maybe potter thinking DM ?

Villa offered 15m . Sounds like ours if DUnk goes . Maguire / Dunk / Webster . Over the odds for all 3 .

He was borderline raving about him

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
There is no reason why we would be in for Webster (and for such an obscene fee), unless he is Dunk’s replacement.

Also note the Murray interview on the Argus website talking about “every player has his price” re Dunk.

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
I'm starting to think that it might be Duffy who is the one to leave by the end of the window. Excellent defender but not quick and not great on the ball. You wouldn't mind any him defending out wide in a back 3, or receiving the ball all the time in the middle of a 3.

Not discounting that Dunk to Leicester might happen, but people forgetting we have another good CB who may not suit Potter's style.... Besides scoring a million goals from set pieces of course.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
What does the squad need?
Right back, Central mid and Striker.

So, naturally, we're linked with paying £25M for a centre back. Of course.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Chris Hughton's stated aim was always to have cover for every position. If Potter agrees and we are intending to try 5-3-2/3-5-2 with three centre backs, we would need another in the 25 to ensure that cover doesn't have to come, in the first instance, from another position. The fact that we may want to change formations around means that we may want to shadow twelve starting positions instead of eleven to allow the choice between 4-4-2 and the new formation. Ignoring those young enough to not count in the 25 and without any further signings we currently have 26, but have too many right backs and too few centre backs. We expect one or both of Suttner and Schelotto to move on and probably Tomer too. If they all go and Izzy is out until Christmas, the gaps in the 25 will be at RB, CF & CB.

GK - Ryan / Button / Steele
RB/RWB - Montoya / Suttner / Schelotto
LB/LWB - Bernardo / Bong
CB - Duffy / Balogan
CB - Dunk / Clarke
CB - Burn / ?
CM - Stephens / Kayal
CM- Propper / Bissouma
AM/S - Gross / Andone
RM/RW - Locadia / Jahanbakhsh
LM/LW - Trossard / March / Izquierdo
CF - Murray / Hemed

(The above is very general and doesn't take into account that some players can play in multiple positions.)

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Chris Hughton's stated aim was always to have cover for every position. If Potter agrees and we are intending to try 5-3-2/3-5-2 with three centre backs, we would need another in the 25 to ensure that cover doesn't have to come, in the first instance, from another position. The fact that we may want to change formations around means that we may want to shadow twelve starting positions instead of eleven to allow the choice between 4-4-2 and the new formation. Ignoring those young enough to not count in the 25 and without any further signings we currently have 26, but have too many right backs and too few centre backs. We expect one or both of Suttner and Schelotto to move on and probably Tomer too. If they all go and Izzy is out until Christmas, the gaps in the 25 will be at RB, CF & CB.

GK - Ryan / Button / Steele
RB/RWB - Montoya / Suttner / Schelotto
LB/LWB - Bernardo / Bong
CB - Duffy / Balogan
CB - Dunk / Clarke
CB - Burn / ?
CM - Stephens / Kayal
CM- Propper / Bissouma
AM/S - Gross / Andone
RM/RW - Locadia / Jahanbakhsh
LM/LW - Trossard / March / Izquierdo
CF - Murray / Hemed

(The above is very general and doesn't take into account that some players can play in multiple positions.)

It also doesn't take into account the fact the we would have 6 centre halves and Murray and Hemed as main strikers

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here