Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Adam Webster - our next England centre back

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Phew, you’ve taken a risk saying that with some on here. Webbo has clearly lost confidence and has not flourished under RDZ, but he is the chosen scapegoat for this season, even though he hasn’t played regularly.
He will, I am sure, move on to pastures new. At his age, he should be at his peak as a CB and have a good few years in front of him, but he needs to be playing regularly and I am sure that will be at another club and not at the Albion.
But as we’ve said a number of times, he needs games, not chopping and changing. He is our quickest CB, and comfortable striding forward with the ball, so actually should suit our style.

Where he has lost it a little for me, is when he tries to force a pass. It’s almost as if he’s trying too hard.

He did it once towards the end in the second half, and there was an audible groan from the west upper. However, there was a pass on, they just shut the lane at that precise moment…… it happens.

As per my post, the cross field pass by JPvH prior to our goal, gave my heart more of a palpitation…. Especially when their player headed it…

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
I can only recall one JPVH error. To me he took on the Dunk role well.
He was okay, but did make errors as I said. We need to focus on where our strong points are supposed to be under De Zerbi, which are creativity, possession and sticking in the onion bag. Ultimately we looked short on two of these of late in the Premier League. Perhaps we need to blame others or even the manager? Webster should not be the person to take on today poor performance.
I think we target individuals way to quick, I have heard groans in concourse when certain players are named on the team sheet, what a negative way to support your football side.
Sorry I just don't agree with bashing Albion players when they put on the stripes and want to play for us.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Both in the first half, but aren’t we rotating?

(In terms of ‘errors’, that’s one more than Webbo) 😉😃 - also an understudy….. 😂

Thought Igor did well though, and again IMO, is probably our second best CB after Dunk.

I don’t post against Webster generally, but today was interesting. Without Dunk we could tangibly compare and contrast ‘the other three’. Imho he made innumerable errors, the first pointlessly taking out a SUFC player going absolutely nowhere (where the subs warm up) first half. Giving a hitherto shite SUFC 5 minutes of avoidable pressure, a team of set piece merchants revelling in long throws, a freekick and corners into the mixer. Then selling himself upfield or un-pressured passes to them killing our attacks.

Not you, but there’s a nsc thing of never being allowed to deem a player as not being up to the level required if we want to progress. Two obvious examples were Maty Ryan and Sanchez (before the Selhurst howler) … woe betide anyone who said they had failings and weren’t good enough. Then when our managers then swiftly deemed the same, 99% agreed with them.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don’t post against Webster generally, but today was interesting. Without Dunk we could tangibly compare and contrast ‘the other three’. Imho he made innumerable errors, the first pointlessly taking out a SUFC player going absolutely nowhere (where the subs warm up) first half. Giving a hitherto shite SUFC 5 minutes of avoidable pressure, a team of set piece merchants revelling in long throws, a freekick and corners into the mixer. Then selling himself upfield or un-pressured passes to them killing our attacks.

Not you, but there’s a nsc thing of never being allowed to deem a player as not being up to the level required if we want to progress. Two obvious examples were Maty Ryan and Sanchez (before the Selhurst howler) … woe betide anyone who said they had failings and weren’t good enough. Then when our managers then swiftly deemed the same, 99% agreed with them.
I though we did fine today, and if there is a weakness it is not spotting a Fati run, and opting for a safe ball.

But it is still a learning curve.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I though we did fine today, and if there is a weakness it is not spotting a Fati run, and opting for a safe ball.

But it is still a learning curve.

My match overview: we were by far the better team until Dahoud’s red, should’ve made and scored more. They were the worst PL visitors since say Wolves. After HT I thought Pedro and Mitoma upped our game, I loved that 24 minutes.

Lallana and Webster didn’t impress me, whilst I thought Igor, Gilmour, Adingra, Pedro, Mitoma, JPVH had excellent games.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Good point in first half, I’d forgotten that, should have been a row Z job. The player did look off the pitch though.

I simply don’t agree with you re innumerable errors 😃

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
by no means a bad player. but he has one big error in him each match. happened in the first half today, similar situation to when he let antonio in behind and he ended up giving away a stupid free kick.

his progressive carrying is a great asset but defensively he is bang average and not someone who i have trust in to defend well all game. at some point with him there will be a lapse, there nearly always is. he struggles to deal with big, physical forwards, and to be honest, defensively he is the opposite of what we need right now. to repeat, he’s a pl standard player without question, but what we need in the team is stability and defensive reliability. he offers neither.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

Or Steele 😉

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My match overview: we were by far the better team until Dahoud’s red, should’ve made and scored more. They were the worst PL visitors since say Wolves. After HT I thought Pedro and Mitoma upped our game, I loved that 24 minutes.

Lallana and Webster didn’t impress me, whilst I thought Igor, Gilmour, Adingra, Pedro, Mitoma, JPVH had excellent games.
Yep. What you said.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think he is the sort of player that needs to play regularly to perform at his best, and he's just not getting the chance.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Huge questions to answer for Webby. Can he up his passing? Can he be more consistent with his defending?

As things stand, he's blatantly out of the door next summer or maybe even Jan if we can get someone.

But he's answered questions before. I agree with the run of games point. He simply must stay fit now. Van Hecke and Igor are kicking on and Webby is slipping down the order

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here