Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Adam Webster is not a defender: discuss

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
This time last year. All through December and into Jan (and for a few weeks at around the time this thread started). He was pretty bad and that's when the criticism really started a It's not all unjustified

Not villifying the bloke, there's been more good than bad, and the best is yet to come. But his progress has been far from linear

On this form, he is worth his place in the side. But he needs to keep to this level. Veltman has a strong claim to be a regular starter at centre back (clearly a much stronger CV than Webster) White will probably play the majority of his career at a higher level than Webster and so also has a strong claim for a centre back place. Burn won't think he's out of it

My opinion is Webster is slightly ahead of White at this moment, but it's tight for a place.

All the while Potter is fudging the centre back issue by playing them in midfield or full back, plus we're mostly playing 3 at the back, Webby is near assured of a place. Though If I was White, Burn or Veltman, i'd be demanding to the manager to play in my best position. Then GP has some decisions to make.

He was never as bad as made out....though certainly had a mistake in him...he’d come in to replace a popular figure in Duffy....first season in top flight football..who had even heard of him despite that he was playing in The Championship

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
One thing we all need as Albion supporters is patience. Especially at the moment! It'd be great if he slammed one tonight though

Not sure we'll get our strikers within 30 yards of their goal, let alone Webby :)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
a0e5f1f6d0e9cd2c6d5d1ae4f9cda428.jpg

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Yes, but the OP said that he's no better at carrying the ball out than Duffy no less. I mean Duffy, who was a brilliant backs to the wall defender, ideal for a CH-style organisation, imperious in the air, but just really not up to much with the ball at his feet and -- like Dunk, but quite unlike Webster -- very slow in both pace and turning circle meaning that it would have been suicidal to defend with a high line (thereby reducing our playing options).

seagullmouse

Jan 3, 2011
Webster is one of our best players of late.
- Comes out with the ball well as that graphic shows
- Wins a lot of attacking headers, unlucky to not have more goals
- Is actually fast for a big CB, quicker than Dunk, so can chase down some forwards

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It was this game last year, on precisely one of AW’s carries into the City half that Laporte picked up a bad injury when he fouled AW. He has done really well for us this season imo

Overall our best defender this season so far IMO. Even better if he starts putting a header or two away instead of hitting the bar. He’s getting closer.

He’s light years ahead of Duffy with the ball at his feet, tackles at least as well, and is quicker. Only area where Duffy has a clear edge defensively is in aerial duels - he seemingly virtually never lost one.

wrong thread

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here