Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Adam Webster is not a defender: discuss

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Well seeing as Burn didn’t replace Webster it’s a bit moot, isn’t it?

I'm not quite sure what Potter said pre- and post-match about Webster, who was on the bench. I think I saw a reference to a minor injury. Burn didn't directly replace Webster because there was a formation change, and White returned to CB, but Burn came in for somebody (which is unarguable) and the closest I can see is Webster (which is arguable).

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
6a00e550888f71883300e551c4f08f8833-800wi.gif

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Our best player tonight.

And incredibly unlucky not to score - deserved that goal.
As an outfield player? He did okay in my opinion. As a defender? No way. Directly led to us almost conceding a goal (slip) and was very, very fortunate not to give a penalty away with that reckless challenge in the box. I know slipping is largely unfortunate, but it just seems to be always him who things like that happen to!

Sadly I still do feel he's an accident waiting to happen. However, if Potter ever wants to do that (unwise) "CD at DM" experiment again, I'd volunteer Webster ahead of White.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
As an outfield player? He did okay in my opinion. As a defender? No way. Directly led to us almost conceding a goal (slip) and was very, very fortunate not to give a penalty away with that reckless challenge in the box. I know slipping is largely unfortunate, but it just seems to be always him who things like that happen to!

That slip nearly cost us the game.

It wasn't the slip itself but every other Premier League centre back in that position would have accidentally on purpose fallen on the attacker to bring him down. We are very un-streetwise in those sorts of positions. Look at Leicester last game, every time we broke through their backline, if they had a chance they brought us down.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It was good to see him marauding forward, and he was desperately unlucky not to score with his header that hit the bar. Maybe this back three is beginning to gel?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Following on from the Solly March edition of this question, I have been moved to add my own version.
This isn't about bedwetting. I just don't see what he brings to the team.
His passing is erratic.
Frankly he is no better than Duffy bringing the ball out.
He rarely wins a decisive header from defence.
He rarely wins a directed header in attack.
His tackles are often erratic and don't cleanly win the ball.
His long balls upfield rarely hit a Brighton player.
His positioning is dreadful in defence, rarely near a dangerous attacker.
Occasional tendency to dangle a leg indecisively near the ball to deflect it to no man's land.

I concede I don't like what he brings to the team, in fact I don't know what that is. For me, he is what Stephens or Barnes were to their detractors.
The BBC ranked his performance bottom apart from the subs against Saints which is where I place him most matches.
But interested to hear what others think.

I just thought I'd :bounce: this. My view on each point is:
1 agreed, but that's because he will often play first time passes. He was better today, but has been off it for the last three or so games he played
2 that is simply a laughable comment. He carried the ball the equivalent of seven pitches against Palace, which is more than Duffy managed in four years with us. He can do it effectively too: see tonight.
3 disagree, but he's no Duffy on that front -- then again, precious few are
4 he got three goals last season, two with his head, and he certainly set up Maupay vs Sheff Utd (a). See also tonight
5 don't feel qualified to comment
6 all our defenders long balls upfield rarely hit a player because there's usually no-one up there
7 nope disagree
8 ditto

Your more positive assessment was better but it missed out some key points, eg, his pace, which enables us to defend with a higher line, to cover for Dunk's lack of pace (ditto with Duffy).

May 5, 2020
Sussex
I was actually very impressed with Webster tonight.he works really well in a back three and some of his passing was really good.he had a few really fast quick passes in the opposition half when we attacked.really good to see him flying in for that header too.the slip could have been costly but the keeper done his job so no harm done.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
That slip nearly cost us the game.

It wasn't the slip itself but every other Premier League centre back in that position would have accidentally on purpose fallen on the attacker to bring him down. We are very un-streetwise in those sorts of positions. Look at Leicester last game, every time we broke through their backline, if they had a chance they brought us down.

he'd have then been sent of and people would be berating him for that instead?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I was actually very impressed with Webster tonight.he works really well in a back three and some of his passing was really good.he had a few really fast quick passes in the opposition half when we attacked.really good to see him flying in for that header too.the slip could have been costly but the keeper done his job so no harm done.

Agreed. He wasn’t the only player that slipped. It happens. He had a decent game.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
What a performance today!

Fantastic defensively and going forward. Man of the match by a distance though the commentators kept getting our centre backs mixed up all night and did again when he gave Dunk man of the match.

He’s becoming a really top class Premier League player and playing on the right of the back 3 rather than having to play on the left is making a massive difference to us.

He’s our best defender and one of our most important players IMO.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
What a performance today!

Fantastic defensively and going forward. Man of the match by a distance though the commentators kept getting our centre backs mixed up all night and did again when he gave Dunk man of the match.

He’s becoming a really top class Premier League player and playing on the right of the back 3 rather than having to play on the left is making a massive difference to us.

He’s our best defender and one of our most important players IMO.

Webster was excellent, but I thought Dunk was MoM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Webster was excellent, but I thought Dunk was MoM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dunk was immense but how on earth did he let the cross come in for their first goal? White was poor with the marking again but Dunk allows the situation to escalate again (see West Ham’s second).

EDIT: Dunk had Traore blocking him initially before he scored, brilliantly dealt with the thunder thighs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here