Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adam Virgo as pundit - poll

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I think that WA gives a better in sight to the game on the radio.

I'm sure he does give some good insight but I can't understand what he's talking about half the time.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I thought he was very good on BBC Sussex and I actually understood what he was talking about. My only criticism was his continuous use of "as I said" at the start of a sentence he clearly hadn't said, but I can live with that.

EDIT: just read Zebedee's comment, glad it wasn't just me that got annoyed by that!

Annoyed me too, but that's just a rough edge that can be fixed. Otherwise, did a good job.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Listening to Virgo who by the way is very good , i thought we had signed a new team to be honest ,so i much prefer our Wozza line ups any day of the week .

Kooshack
Cauldron
Gear
Al Hab
Loopez
Frosty-Caskett
Bloodclot
Crufts
Luluooha
Aloha
Mackerel-Smiff

KLUNK

Mar 30, 2010
East Sussex
I just wish he wouldn't preface nearly everything he says with the words "as I say" or "as you say." It gets really irritating after a while.

Byrne is guilty of this as well. Annoys me too. Often when they say "Like I say/said..." they haven't mentioned whatever they are referring to in the first place!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
He was fine on TV, although his repetition of "the football club" was slightly annoying. Without exaggerating, I reckon he used it about 8 times within 40 seconds before the game.

"Well it's been a difficult time for the football club but everyone at the football club is working hard and getting used to the changes made by the people running the football club...."

I just wish he wouldn't preface nearly everything he says with the words "as I say" or "as you say." It gets really irritating after a while.

Annoyed me too, but that's just a rough edge that can be fixed. Otherwise, did a good job.

Byrne is guilty of this as well. Annoys me too. Often when they say "Like I say/said..." they haven't mentioned whatever they are referring to in the first place!

You get annoyed/irritated? As in properly cross?

Blimey.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I thought he was good, articulate, and clear, and an improvement on Aspinall (and not just because he seemed to have no problem pronouncing players' names).

As far as his verbal tick is concerned ("As I said...."), there are far worse ones out there. Personally I find Johnny Cantor's incessantly starting sentences with "To be fair...", much more irritating.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Speaks well for a footballer. Could have a future. One complaint though, way too negative about the Albion and their chances. Its Seagulls Player Adam!

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Like him a lot as a pundit.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Apologies if this is already buried somewhere in another thread. Listened to some of the game on the radio whilst out and about on Saturday. I thought he did a good job - what do you think? In fact I think I will add a poll.

......Or I would if I could find the "post a poll with this thread" button. Where has it gone.

Anyhow questions like

1. Sign him up - the new Jimmy Hill?
  2. OK - give him time.
  3. Bring back Warren Aspinall!

Maybe not quite the new Jimmy Hill, but l thought he made a pretty good fist of it for someone with (presumably) little 'punditry' experience. Hope he gets the chance to do a few more games this season. Please don't bring back Warren Aspinal!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I think that WA gives a better in sight to the game on the radio.

He seems to be more tactically aware of what is going on during the game than Johnny Byrne but what will win fans over is Virgo as a summariser/pundit/commentator is more articulate.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Virgs for hoime games, Aspinall for away. Johnny Byrne has had his day - move on.

One criticism of Virgs is that he uses too many stock football cliches.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I enjoy Warren's contributions, if he was more articulate he would be a fantastic co-commentator. As it is I don't care if he can't pronounce the names properly, I know who he is talking about and he is breath of fresh air in amongst what is often waffle from the others. He tells it like it is and seems to know exactly where we are going wrong, or what we are doing right on the pitch. I find his contributions interesting.

I am finding JB more and more dour.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Thought he did a good job in the Watford game.

After his splendid visual description of the Albion Roar team on Twitter, I'll back him on anything.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Excellent in the studio for the Watford game.
Very comfortable and looked like he'd been in the game for years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here