Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adam Chicksen

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I just want decent competition for places, if Chicksen is the best left back at the club then he plays. If he isn't then he needs to work hard to improve until he's there on merit. This seems to be working pretty well at the moment given his improvement this season.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I thought he generally acquitted himself well last night - especially given the lack of cover he had in front of him & the predictable 2 on 1's that ensued. I rate Ward, but as others have already said: competition for 1st team places can only be a good thing. He (Chicksen) has certainly made some real progress since the last time I saw him.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Similar to Dunk when we moved to the Amex, not the ideal situation to be thrown into but Chicksen looks like he could get better with experience and I wouldn't be too fussed if he and Maksimenko were all we had.

However Ward is potentially my player of the season so would be over the moon to see him sign permanently

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
If it doesn't cost much, I'd like to get Ward in on a two year deal and phase Chicksen into the first team over the next couple of years

Hasn't Ward got another year on his contract at Wolves? Read a quote from him in the Argus recently which in 'footballer speak' implied he would go back to Wolves if they are promoted (which they stand a good chance of being).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He was good getting forward but sadly he lacked the ability to defend. It was obvious after the first 5 minutes that any goal for Hull would comd from their right hand side as both our left sided players in Chicksen and Lua Lua were poor at defending and we had no other left sided defending midfielder to cover them.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I thought he had a good game. Quick and good at getting forward. Poor final ball, but he wasn't the only one.

Tired noticeably late on, but Kaz was shattered too (I thought he should have been replaced sooner) but remember who he was marking.

A good prospect, and good competition for Ward, who I really hope we can keep next season.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
If it doesn't cost much, I'd like to get Ward in on a two year deal and phase Chicksen into the first team over the next couple of years

Agree with all of this. There's been some good posts on this thread, but Ward has been so consistent this season, and haas noticeably got further forward a lot more in the last few home games.
But, we look nicely covered at left back at the moment.
Which leads on to another question: if Ward gets injured, who plays at left-back: Calderon or Chicksen?

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
Thought he slotted in seamlessly when he came on at Blackpool and been impressed with him since. Will only get better with Upson in close proximity talking him through games.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
On the strength of that showing he has a long way to go before he can be considered 1st choice. While I agree with those who say Lua Lua did not help him, his positional play against the overlap was appalling. Time after time he failed to come out to close the winger before an unchallenged cross was delivered into the box, clearly fearing the overlap. However, what is the point in preventing the overlap if you don't put any pressure on the ball?

For their goal, although you cannot say he was at fault, he did not track back inside or anticipate the ball reaching Sagbo if he had he could possibly have affected his finish. Going forward he did pretty well, would agree with that, but he is very much a work in progress IMO.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I was really impressed with him last night. Massive potential as he has the basics and, just as importantly, the commitment.

I think he's going to be a very good player for someone, hopefully us.

sahel

Jan 24, 2014
I thought he struggled, part of the problems with Lua Lua were his own positioning issues. As the full back he has to take control of the situation, not leave it to the winger. First half especially he gave them too much space out wide and was happy to let Lua Lua close down when it should have been himself.

Jury is out for me, but as others have said, he does show a lot of promise.

He had a really difficult time in the first half because Lua Lua drifted inside all the time. I wonder if that was under instruction. If so it was poor tactics. It left Chicksen exposed and did Lua Lua no good either

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
He's got the potential to be a superstar, just needs some experience. I'd be looking to sdnd him on loan for the remainder of this season.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
he is coming along nicely

Agreed - he is doing alright. I rate Ward highly, but if he does not extend his time with us, it will not be the end of the world.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Players like him, Dunk, JFC, March even Ince to a lesser degree can't always play every game but need rotating it seems. Every club seems to do it and have to say if Dunk plays 10 odd appearances seems to do well then soon as strings a couple of 90 mins together some massive mistake happens. Could be coinsidence not sure but whatever happens with a host of players like that coming through I don't think we should panic if we don't pay an aging, above average Championship player 4 times what he's worth just because he's been here for a year on loan.

Maybe you'd take a quarter pay to stay somewhere but doubt many in any walk of life would unless no1 else would have you, and someone in the Champ will spunk a load of wedge over Ward.......... as it were in the summer

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here