Accusations & Trial by media (Schofield & This Morning)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Are accusations made on TV and social media right or wrong? Is the 21st century use of technology counter-productive to the proper course of justice? DON'T name names or accuse anyone. I am just after your thoughts on wether it is right to have trials by media. No I am not on a fishing trip just interested in what people think.

Camicus

David Cameron knew who it was before Phillip schofield showed him the card its why he instantly went on the offensive about a gay witch hunt. They held an inquiery in to the events and Wee willie hauge brushed it under the carpet. This goverment isnt going to haul <mod: names removed - find them elsewhere on the internet if you need to know!> up in front of a judge so I applaud Philip Schofield for making this public. He shouldnt have shown names on telly but he says it was an accident and there was no other way this would have seen the light of day.

Last edited by a moderator:

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I notice that Jimmy Savile's chauffeur has been arrested in connection with "allegations". Why are allegations sufficient to warrant an arrest in one case, but not in another?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I thought what they did on the television this morning was absolutely stupid and irresponsible. I had always quite liked Philip Schofield, but lost all respect for him when I heard what he had done. I am not a Cameron supporter - in fact far from it, but thought his response was broadly right. Was Mr Schofield expecting Mr Cameron to get the people whose name's he had trawled off the internet arrested purely on the basis of that.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I thought what they did on the television this morning was absolutely stupid and irresponsible. I had always quite liked Philip Schofield, but lost all respect for him when I heard what he had done. I am not a Cameron supporter - in fact far from it, but thought his response was broadly right. Was Mr Schofield expecting Mr Cameron to get the people whose name's he had trawled off the internet arrested purely on the basis of that.

after the minnie dowler business the media in the UK is still f***ing out of control and increasingly deranged. philip schofield ambushing the prime minister on f***ing This Morning. you could not make it up its that bonkers.

he should stick to hanging around the broom cupboard i find it terrifying that someone whos mates with gordon the gopher now fancies himself as an investigative journalist. Not only do we get the politicians we deserve we get the media. This country needs to grow up and fast.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I still think, all of the pantomime aside, the question is, why have the accused not been arrested or taken in for questioning?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I much preferred Andy Crane to Philip Schofield and sadly that more respectable presenter never had a career matching the smug, silver-maned beamer financially.
I don't read any Savile stories or feed off of the horrible rumours of other famed fops. I don't tend to want to be supposedly shocked or sickened in such a way, and certainly don't want to buy a magazine whose job it is to make me so. It doesn't seem very healthy to want to join a lynchmob just because someone somewhere must deserve a beating.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Totally agree with this. To be honest, one of my first thoughts was "Is This Morning struggling for viewers?" It had more than a whiff of publicity stunt.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Totally agree with this. To be honest, one of my first thoughts was "Is This Morning struggling for viewers?" It had more than a whiff of publicity stunt.

sadly for this country it isnt struggling for viewers. phillip schofield is indeed a complete publicity stunt.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Are accusations made on TV and social media right or wrong? Is the 21st century use of technology counter-productive to the proper course of justice? DON'T name names or accuse anyone. I am just after your thoughts on wether it is right to have trials by media. No I am not on a fishing trip just interested in what people think.

Definitely wrong. Some people do not question what they read, no matter where they read it.

As an example. in the course of one of my jobs, I am sent emails supposedly written by important people that are circulated around. The emails are often of a racist nature. I have yet to see one that is genuine. The important point, though, is that many people believe what is written in them and that they were written by the person that the email says it is written by. I know of someone whose reputation has been so sullied by emails of this nature, that they have spent a fortune trying to find the person who originally made the email up and circulated it, in an attempt to get them prosecuted and clear his own name.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
wrong. Scofield has the journalistic crededentials of a monkey so its definatly not his place. his 3 minutes research could through up any old name and he hasnt followed up the legitimacy of any claims against them. the problem here, as hinted at in the PM's responce, is that people who have long harboured secret but innocent private sex lives might be thrown into a mix with people with a much darker inclinations. ie if you've been in the closet, now you're on the list of speculative pedos.

further, if there is something to the list, its a matter for the police. its not the job of PM, any PM, to micro manage such matters - when did this start by the way? theres the police, courts, the various enquiries, the Home Secretary. where the PM needs to step in is if nothings happening, to ensure something does get adressed, and maybe consoldiated some of the enquiries (theres 10 apparently) where suitable.

also, people should be carefull what they write here for the sake of the board.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Is Andy Peters going to weigh in on the issue? And Sarah Greene. Time to wield out the big hitters.

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
I notice that Jimmy Savile's chauffeur has been arrested in connection with "allegations". Why are allegations sufficient to warrant an arrest in one case, but not in another?

I guess it has something to do with the level if evidence. If I allege that you have been involved in kidnap, drug smuggling and cruelty to Guinea pigs do you think the police should arrest you now?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Why did Cameron need to say 'gay witch hunt'? Why couldn't he have said 'witch hunt' (without the reference to gay people)?

I don't know any of the names. But the Prime Minister's response has hugely narrowed down the list of possible alleged abusers.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Shabby cheap sensationalism by Schofield, more akin to crap Jeremy Kyle style TV than any sort of proper journalism. More about him and his programme grabbing some cheap headlines rather than showing respect for due process. It's quite simple, if you want to make serious allegations then report it to the Police. Schofield had better be squeaky clean in future.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
sadly for this country it isnt struggling for viewers. phillip schofield is indeed a complete publicity stunt.

Is that rhyming slang? ???

I've always thought he was a good bloke, but that seemed a bit of a cheap stunt...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports