According to reports, AC Milan have....

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
the point being.. someone quoted he won x number of successive championships as a reason to why he was world class.. which to me makes no sense...

No one said "look how much he's won, THAT'S why he's world class" - it was part of a large amount of evidence that point towards Ibra being world class, which is unquestionably is.

Igor Gurinovich?

Mar 27, 2006
Southampton
No one said "look how much he's won, THAT'S why he's world class" - it was part of a large amount of evidence that point towards Ibra being world class, which is unquestionably is.

and i dont agree with the fact that titles mimic ability. otherwise lets look at Wes Brown,.. 8 titles? world class.. there may be lots of other evidence about whether he is or isnt world class but this isnt one of them imo.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
and i dont agree with the fact that titles mimic ability. otherwise lets look at Wes Brown,.. 8 titles? world class.. there may be lots of other evidence about whether he is or isnt world class but this isnt one of them imo.

Wes Brown didn't win 8 league titles in a row though did he? That suggests that Ibrahimovic plays a big part in some of the best teams in the world. Agreed, ON IT'S OWN the stat doesn't make him world class, but it is a useful stat in the context of the discussion.

A lot of people in England seem to know very little about the Spanish and Italian leagues. Ibrahimovic is a PHENOMENAL player, regardless of whether he could "do it against Stoke" or any of that bollocks.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Even though he's not world class?

Yes, even though he is not world class, I'm sure he will be excellent playing in the French first division.

Messi & Ronaldo are world class. Ibrahimovic is very good, but not. You're entitled to think that Ibrahimovic is as good as Messi and Ronaldo. I'm entitled to think he isn't. It's an opinion.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yes, even though he is not world class, I'm sure he will be excellent playing in the French first division.

Messi & Ronaldo are world class. Ibrahimovic is very good, but not. You're entitled to think that Ibrahimovic is as good as Messi and Ronaldo. I'm entitled to think he isn't. It's an opinion.

I think about 1% of people would agree with your definition of world class. You mean "best players in the world ever".

Do I think Ibra is as good as Messi or Ronaldo? Not quite. Is he world class? Unquestionably.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Messi and ronaldo are superstars, not world class to me world class is a stage lower, Ibrahimovic is definitely world class, look at his consistent scoring of 30 goals + pet season in highly competitive leagues, a fantastic player who, not meant in a derogatory way, is unlucky to be born Swedish as he will never have proper international success

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
I think about 1% of people would agree with your definition of world class. You mean "best players in the world ever".

Do I think Ibra is as good as Messi or Ronaldo? Not quite. Is he world class? Unquestionably.

Like I said. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. By world class I mean the best at what they do in the current time. In terms of football there are only two players on the planet that are in the same league, and that's Messi and Ronaldo.

I don't think there are any other players like them at the current time.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Like I said. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. By world class I mean the best at what they do in the current time. In terms of football there are only two players on the planet that are in the same league, and that's Messi and Ronaldo.

I don't think there are any other players like them at the current time.

So for you there are only 2 world class players in the world right now? Not really a "class" then.

Igor Gurinovich?

Mar 27, 2006
Southampton
Wes Brown didn't win 8 league titles in a row though did he? That suggests that Ibrahimovic plays a big part in some of the best teams in the world. Agreed, ON IT'S OWN the stat doesn't make him world class, but it is a useful stat in the context of the discussion.

A lot of people in England seem to know very little about the Spanish and Italian leagues. Ibrahimovic is a PHENOMENAL player, regardless of whether he could "do it against Stoke" or any of that bollocks.

useful perhaps, evidence, not in my book. at no time have i stated whether or not i think he is world class, but the fact that hes won 8 titles in a row is immaterial, neither Messi or Ronaldo are being judged on their honours, so why should it matter for Zlatan.

perhaps, i assume you arent making a suggestion about my knowledge of the european game? or are you suggesting winning the Spanish title against sides like Xerez or Getafe is far harder than beating Stoke in the EPL?

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
So for you there are only 2 world class players in the world right now? Not really a "class" then.

Of course it is. A class is a set or category of things having some property or attribute in common and differentiated from others by kind, type, or quality. Messi and Ronaldo are separate from every other footballer on the planet because their quality is different, better.

We're just going around in circles. Call it what you will; superstars, world class, fanny-f***ing-tastic. It doesn't matter: Ibrahimovic is not as good as those two, period. If you want to separate them another way, do it. I will separate them as world class, and very good.

It's all semantics at the end of the day, but we can all agree, he is not as good as those two.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Of course it is. A class is a set or category of things having some property or attribute in common and differentiated from others by kind, type, or quality. Messi and Ronaldo are separate from every other footballer on the planet because their quality is different, better.

We're just going around in circles. Call it what you will; superstars, world class, fanny-f***ing-tastic. It doesn't matter: Ibrahimovic is not as good as those two, period. If you want to separate them another way, do it. I will separate them as world class, and very good.

No one anywhere on this thread has said that Ibrahimovic is as good as Messi or Ronaldo.

Fair enough, the rest of us on the planet will continue to use World Class as we do.

Do you use any other phrases differently to the rest of the world?

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
Messi and ronaldo are superstars, not world class to me world class is a stage lower, Ibrahimovic is definitely world class, look at his consistent scoring of 30 goals + pet season in highly competitive leagues, a fantastic player who, not meant in a derogatory way, is unlucky to be born Swedish as he will never have proper international success

This. Anyone who says he isn't world class are deluded. He would walk into most of the top teams in the world.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
useful perhaps, evidence, not in my book. at no time have i stated whether or not i think he is world class, but the fact that hes won 8 titles in a row is immaterial, neither Messi or Ronaldo are being judged on their honours, so why should it matter for Zlatan.

perhaps, i assume you arent making a suggestion about my knowledge of the european game? or are you suggesting winning the Spanish title against sides like Xerez or Getafe is far harder than beating Stoke in the EPL?

It's not immaterial, as it helps to build a case. Someone who has won many many major trophies is more likely to be world class than someone who hasn't. If someone said Messi was SH*T, you could quite easily use his goalscoring "stats" as an example of him not being sh*t. Of course Messi is partly judged on his honours, one BIG argument from people is that he will NEVER be as good as Maradona until he wins Argentina a World Cup. I don't actually agree with that specific point, but it is certainly a logical one to make in an argument, and reasonable enough evidence to use.

Nope, I was making a general statement about thickets who don't rate the likes of Ibrahimovic because he "couldn't do it on a wet Wednesday in Stoke", which is obviously utter bollocks.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012

According to Wikipedia he has only managed to score 30+ goals in one season. His average a season for the 9 years in 'highly competitive leagues' is 18. Just a little overstatement.

(this assuming his record on Wikipedia is correct)

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Nope, I was making a general statement about thickets who don't rate the likes of Ibrahimovic because he "couldn't do it on a wet Wednesday in Stoke", which is obviously utter bollocks.

Hopefully that wasn't aimed at me. I never stated that.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Hopefully that wasn't aimed at me. I never stated that.

It's aimed at anyone who would think such a thing. Not aimed at anyone in particular.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports