Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Academy

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
I find it staggering that we have so few uefa pro b coaches in comparison to Germany - the sheer amount of money in the English league and so few coaches of British nationality...

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
"German football is booming, reaping the rewards of the strategy drawn up after their dismal performances at Euro 2000, when Germany finished bottom of their group. Forced into an overhaul of youth football, the DFB, the Bundesliga and the clubs decided that the development of more technically proficient homegrown players would be in everyone's best interests."

I wonder if we will see the above said about the FA and the Premier League in 14 years time? Somehow, I doubt it.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Maybe it's picking cautious Managers that's the issue. Woy sticking on endless non scoring creative midfielders, being too scared to pick Terry, wrongly picking Baines (where was he for every goal we conceded) instead of proven World class Cole. Everyone (FA and the Albion?) Want a yes man with no cojones for an easy life...Redknapp or Mourinho, with access to the same talent, would not have produced the earliest exit ever. A bad workman...

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
A note of caution.

Building a £20m academy won't generate 'local talent' for quite some time.
(I can see that being the next stick to beat the club with)

The club, I assume Burke, (the beatenest of a stick beaties) seems to have a keen eye at cherry picking Premier League youngsters, and developing them on.
I'd imagine the facility and a path to first team football is a great motivator.

But as for finding Billy Scrotum 'the Southwick rough diamond' kicking the ball around with his mates, the club is still a little way off.
But clearly heading in the right direction at an accelerated rate.

You may be correct in terms of recruitment strategy, but its a flawed one.

You're just pushing the Premier League model onto the 12 year olds squeezing out local talent.

The big clubs will not release genuinely Premier league potential youngsters, so the outcome is SIMILAR players getting the opportunity above those that have a long standing link to the area and club.

The model should, as I interpret the German one to be that the required skilled coaches develop youngsters, English, preferably local.

Personally if its a matter of hanging around the Premier League training facilities mopping up their released youngsters ahead of our own then it kind of demerits what the club should be striving to achieve, otherwise it becomes just a game of top trumps and football manager.

Ultimately there will be many clubs with similar training facilties, so at some point you going to have to get on and develop your own players from scratch.

The key has to be to develop, support and offer opportunity to players that have come to the club for nothing and then progress within the club, it takes hard and skilled coaching, more than anything the new training centre should reflect the quality of coaching/staffing within it.

It will at times be used to recruit and retain talent but the key to its success is how those coaches can produce a player that wasn't obviously a target for Chelsea at 12 years old.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Maybe it's picking cautious Managers that's the issue. Woy sticking on endless non scoring creative midfielders, being too scared to pick Terry, wrongly picking Baines (where was he for every goal we conceded) instead of proven World class Cole. Everyone (FA and the Albion?) Want a yes man with no cojones for an easy life...Redknapp or Mourinho, with access to the same talent, would not have produced the earliest exit ever. A bad workman...

Please tell me you didn't just link a man who scrapped out the Championship with one of the most expensively assembled squads ever with a multiple Champions League winner!
Roy (why the cheap play on his slight speech impediment?) was and is the right man for the job, experience of getting the most out of not the best players. Pre world cup most people were saying it was right to go with Baines and what other midfielders did he have?
The manager is not the issue, it is, or was, the coaching at youth level. Hopefully that is being corrected

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It feels as though the vast sums of money at play in the Premier League hinder English footballers' development rather than help it. Because the prize for being there is so great, clubs simply aren't prepared to take the long term risk of giving young English players a go when they have a gap in the team, but instead would rather take the short term approach of chucking millions on a better known imported player to fill the role (and to appease the fans).

Look at Palace. For years they've banged on and on and on about their Super Academy, producing as it has dozens of players who are the Future Of English Football. (Ignore for a moment the fact that those players would appear to constitute a failed Manchester United reserve, a player who was dropped by Nigeria at the World Cup because he was so crap, and seemingly the only young first team regular at Southampton not to make the England World Cup squad).

How many of Palace's fabulous academy starlets got a sniff last season as they aimed to stay up? Not one. Even Williams, supposedly up there with the best youngsters in the English leagues, ended up farmed out to the mighty Ipswich Town on loan. They simply could not afford to give any of those young lads a go, because the only thing they care about is staying in the PL (either that, or all their current academy crop are rubbish, I mean, I suppose it could be that).

The point being: clubs are far more concerned with their own status and position than in the long term development of the English game, and all the time they get paid £92 million a year for finishing 17th in the Premier League, that will never change.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here