Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Abyss/Beak Breweries on a matchday

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Anyone been to either Beak or Abyss on a match day pre game?

Do they get horrendously busy? Will we be able to get a seat (indoors preferably looking at the weather)?

Thanks in advance

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Cheers to OP for the heads-up, genuinely never heard of either of those breweries before, despite Google saying they're both based in Lewes. I guess their beers never made it as far as the extensive local craft beer section of Preston Wines in Preston Drove, Brighton

*edit* heavy hint above to sales reps of both breweries ...:wink:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Given the early times I doubt either would be busy. Post match I’d expect them to be very busy though

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
dunno, and this is no help at all, but the Beak brewery is great - their beers are bloody lovely
They are both excellent and at 10-15 minute walk apart no reason why you couldn't do both on a matchday. Beak probably have the better beer (just). Abyss has the better taproom IMO.

Jul 7, 2003
Abyss has loads of inside space - don't know about Beak.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Anyone been to either Beak or Abyss on a match day pre game?

Do they get horrendously busy? Will we be able to get a seat (indoors preferably looking at the weather)?

Thanks in advance
I've done Beak before a 3pm Lewes match when Albion were playing at the same time and it wasn't that busy at all. I'd say that most Lewes drinkers on the way to the Amex will generally congregate closer to the Station.

Rooks v Corinthian Casuals this weekend and I may do the same now you've mentioned it.

Both great breweries!

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
There's been a few Albion supporters at Abyss before, it's got a lot of space and if cold won't fill up. I'd say Abyss is a lot better generaly(beer,taproom and location) but will also give a few more lower ABV beers, usually at Beak there's only one under 5.5

ManOnTheRun

Jul 7, 2003
West Hove
I have been to Beak pre-match and I think the relatively long schlep back to the station means that it doesn't get a huge amount of pre-football drinkers. The main problem I had was turning up to the game hammered as they had nothing lower than 6% ABV on tap! Not tried the Abyss taproom before a game.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
Done both, both brilliant, never had issues with space. Both will have decent pop-up food outside as well. On the Brighton side, UnBarred is equally as good. Just a 10-min walk to get a bus to the Amex.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Cheers to OP for the heads-up, genuinely never heard of either of those breweries before, despite Google saying they're both based in Lewes. I guess their beers never made it as far as the extensive local craft beer section of Preston Wines in Preston Drove, Brighton

*edit* heavy hint above to sales reps of both breweries ..

suggest you go a bit further up the hill to Quaff at Fiveways that sells them..

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Likewise and if they haven't made it to Brighton yet, they will be a complete unknown in my remote neck of the woods.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood

I don't venture too far into Brighton on matchdays any more, but I've definitely seen Abyss on at the Evening Star. Beak is the better known of the two and I can normally pick up a can or three at my local micropub. Their These Hills beer festival last summer was also incredible.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
The Pond near the station often has Abyss and Beak beers. The rotation is so quick but you will always find something decent there.
Also another vote for Unbarred, great beers and possible to get bus to Amex.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
They were both available in the beer shop at Brighton station the other day. And they Abyss draught at the Jolly Brewer the other day, with one of the main Abyss blokes drinking in there as well

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here