Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Abu Dhabi Europe ban lifted

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Well personally I'm not a fan of FFP anyway - all it does it perpetuate wealth for the existing elite.

Man City have broken into that elite by spending obscene money, but it isn't all on players wages - it also goes into local infrastructure creating local jobs. Put it this way, how on earth is any club supposed to compete with the old guard unless they have an injection of capital that temporarily outstrips wages?

Allowing unlimited spending can’t be the answer. Otherwise we will get more clubs bought up by the unlimited wealth of the Middle East and China and the consequence of sporting mismatches like Saturday night. We need more regulation not less and today’s decision is a bit of a disappointment in that regard.
I suppose we have to ask ourselves how would we respond if Tony ever sells out to one of these characters. Personally I would cancel my season ticket and watch non league football. Judging by Abu Dhabi FC’s desperate advertising for fans to fill their stadium I reckon a few of theirs feel the same. Their club has gone.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The sooner petrostates sod off out of football the better.

That's just not going to happen. The game's only going to get dirtier IMO. The days of clubs being owned by a mildy succesful local business man with a blond wife called Debbie are long gone.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
If you have access to that amount of money to be able to break the FFP rules, then you certainly have enough money to buy yourself out of the punishment.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
What a surprise, the petro dollar cheats got off. Football will just carry on eating itself...

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Allowing unlimited spending can’t be the answer. Otherwise we will get more clubs bought up by the unlimited wealth of the Middle East and China and the consequence of sporting mismatches like Saturday night. We need more regulation not less and today’s decision is a bit of a disappointment in that regard.
I suppose we have to ask ourselves how would we respond if Tony ever sells out to one of these characters. Personally I would cancel my season ticket and watch non league football. Judging by Abu Dhabi FC’s desperate advertising for fans to fill their stadium I reckon a few of theirs feel the same. Their club has gone.
This. If what happened to Man City happened to us I would have to very carefully consider my support for the club. It is all so false. Football needs regulation. Personally in the current circumstances, I'd like the bigger clubs to sod off so that the rest of us could have more meaningful and honest competition.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I can foresee a time, in the not too distant future, when 23 clubs in England are owned by super rich and the Championship is always won by the three relegated teams.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Real Madrid have been doing it for years.
PSG were effectively given a mild slap.

I was more surprised the level of charges brought (or should that be bought [emoji6]) in all honesty......

The inevitable European super league will happen. The rich will get richer.....

I’m glad that Man City are being treated the same as Real & PSG, that is a positive (although they should all be banned!!).

Anywho, if this means that they’re further inspired to aim for double figures against Plucky, I’m all for this ruling!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Oh I agree with the sentiment, but the way it is currently done essentially ensures clubs should act as if they know their place. I'd argue that improved due diligence would be a better way of resolving these issues. For example, is Man City spending billions really more of a scandal that what has recently happened to Wigan, where it seems they've possibly gone into administration as part of a wider far-eastern betting scandal?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
From those that know better than me - it looks like the judgement shows that UEFA methods for FFP are 'flawed' and could now open the floodgates for other teams

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Something that may solve this issue is salary caps. Obviously elite footballers won’t be in favour of that, but it would level the playing field virtually over night.

The problem as I see it is that the big elite clubs want to maintain there position at the top so would be against such wholesale reform of the game.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
This. If what happened to Man City happened to us I would have to very carefully consider my support for the club. It is all so false. Football needs regulation. Personally in the current circumstances, I'd like the bigger clubs to sod off so that the rest of us could have more meaningful and honest competition.

I think most of our PL games against Liverpool and Man U have been reasonably competitive. We have also had our moments against Chelsea. I cannot think of one game against Abu Dhabi that has not been ridiculously one sided (including the cup SF) and we decided not to bother with the home game last season. They are a joyless machine and it is not worth our while traveling to watch Brighton players on the same pitch as them. I would be quite happy to see them join a World Elite League with home games played in the Middle East.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Dug-And-The-Big-Bad-Dogs-Surprised-Gif-In-Pixars-Up.gif

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I’m glad that Man City are being treated the same as Real & PSG, that is a positive (although they should all be banned!!).

Anywho, if this means that they’re further inspired to aim for double figures against Plucky, I’m all for this ruling!

Well said - motion seconded [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
The decision beggars belief. What is the point in FFP? How can UEFA in the right minds ever be taken seriously again. Corruption from top to bottom.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
For those of us that can remember the Trevor Francis transfer at £999,999.99, they didn't want it to be a £1m, that transaction was the end of football as we know it. Football will fail spectacularly but until then we'll keep paying and watching.

Non-league isn't without it's problems, look at the SCFL and the clubs that get some local businessmen in for a couple of years who wants to buy success, gets bored and leaves, very few clubs even at that level have a squad playing for just the love of the game. That said non-league does have far more appeal for me these days and, if we hadn't already renewed, next season could have been my tipping point.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
RIP FFP.

The little value the system had has now vanished. Clubs will now spend to their hearts content knowing the punishment is merely to spend a little bit more.

Corruption at its very finest.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Well personally I'm not a fan of FFP anyway - all it does it perpetuate wealth for the existing elite.

Man City have broken into that elite by spending obscene money, but it isn't all on players wages - it also goes into local infrastructure creating local jobs. Put it this way, how on earth is any club supposed to compete with the old guard unless they have an injection of capital that temporarily outstrips wages?

It used to be simpler in the old days when the local butcher opened his 4th shop and then put 5 grand in and joined the board.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Cheats prosper. So City far from being innocent and found not guilty have basically got away with fraud on the basis of happened too long ago. And they didn't cooperate with the investigation. Add that to the £49 million fine in 2014 for the same thing and it must make City fans so proud. Seeing all the ex players revel in the decision make it that much more sickening

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here