Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] abominable refereeing

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
As @Triggaaar alluded to, this thread flies in the face of those who say that teams only complain about the ref when they've lost. We were watching at home, so had the benefit of multiple replays and I honestly couldn't believe more severe action was taken. Unbelievable incompetence.

I don't get VAR – how come decisions can only be reviewed if they are on a certain part of the pitch (if I've understood that correctly)?

In terms of the on-field fella, how were neither of the big calls deemed as not red cards, when, say, sticking your arm up in the box and the ball hitting it is a straight red?

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Liverpool were a f***ing disgrace , Tommy Smith would be proud . I had a look at several other forums and none of them can believe they didn`t see at least 2 reds , again- dirty scum and the ref and VAR need bloody shooting . Anyone that thinks we would have been treated with the same lax attitude is kidding themselves .

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Liverpool were a f***ing disgrace , Tommy Smith would be proud . I had a look at several other forums and none of them can believe they didn`t see at least 2 reds , again- dirty scum and the ref and VAR need bloody shooting . Anyone that thinks we would have been treated with the same lax attitude is kidding themselves .
You know that when palace fans are saying there were several injustices against us , that there is a big problem.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As @Triggaaar alluded to, this thread flies in the face of those who say that teams only complain about the ref when they've lost. We were watching at home, so had the benefit of multiple replays and I honestly couldn't believe more severe action was taken. Unbelievable incompetence.

I don't get VAR – how come decisions can only be reviewed if they are on a certain part of the pitch (if I've understood that correctly)?

In terms of the on-field fella, how were neither of the big calls deemed as not red cards, when, say, sticking your arm up in the box and the ball hitting it is a straight red?
This isn't the case. VAR can give the ref an opportunity to upgrade a yellow to a red regardless of where it happens on the pitch. He gets called over to the pitchside monitor to have another look at the foul and decide whether it warrants a red.

This should obviously have happened for the Fabinho assault in particular, but unfortunately our officias are riddled with inconsistency and rank incompetence.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
This isn't the case. VAR can give the ref an opportunity to upgrade a yellow to a red regardless of where it happens on the pitch. He gets called over to the pitchside monitor to have another look at the foul and decide whether it warrants a red.

This should obviously have happened for the Fabinho assault in particular, but unfortunately our officias are riddled with inconsistency and rank incompetence.
Where did all the talk about it not getting reviewed/overturned because it didn't happen in the box come from, then? Maybe in the head of Clive Twatty Tyldsley?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
First one on Mac wasn’t eligible for VAR as outside the box
If he hadn't had the forearm smash to the throat, it could be argued it was a clear goal-scoring opportunity that had been denied. That is within the remit of VAR. This was a World Cup winner running through on goal - not Barndoor Billy.

And WTF was the lino doing? How did he not even flag for a foul? Incompetence or bias? It's one or the other and whichever way you odds it, he shouldn't be officiating at this level.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
If he hadn't had the forearm smash to the throat, it could be argued it was a clear goal-scoring opportunity that had been denied. That is within the remit of VAR. This was a World Cup winner running through on goal - not Barndoor Billy.

And WTF was the lino doing? How did he not even flag for a foul? Incompetence or bias? It's one or the other and whichever way you odds it, he shouldn't be officiating at this level.
Hopefully the oracle “Gallagher” can clarify on his “ref watch”

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Are the PGMOL institutionally corrupt or institutionally incompetent?
Offside/not offside? Does the lino raise the flag or keep it down?
Career damaging tackles/assaults may/may not be reviewed.
Handball is blown for, whether it's considered deliberate/not deliberate in a certain phase of play in a particular area of the pitch.
Referees advised by VAR to review on the pitch-side monitor or not depending on the direction of the wind.
It's all so wishy-washy and not just for us but for everyone. What a needless mess it's become.
The more they try to fix it before each new season, the more they mess it up.

Last edited:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
That comments section is amazing - I advise BHA fans to read. A lot of love and confirmation of the bias from the officials in neutrals opinions…
Thanks. I don't usually but I did this time. Amazing support. I particularly liked this standout:-

Comment posted by danumwhite , at 15:34 29 Jandanumwhite​

15:34 29 Jan
When Liverpool scored first, I thought ooh there could be a giant killing, but top level Premier League class told in the end.

:thumbsup:
:lolol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Are the PGMOL institutionally corrupt or institutionally incompetent?
Offside/not offside? Does the link raise the flag or keep it down?
Career damaging tackles/assaults may/may not be reviewed.
Handball is blown for, whether it's considered deliberate/not deliberate in a certain phase of play in a particular area of the pitch.
Referees advised by VAR to review on the pitch-side monitor or not depending on the direction of the wind.
It's all so wishy-washy and not just for us but for everyone. What a needless mess it's become.
The more they try to fix it before each new season, the more they mess it up.
I'm not usually one for "I told you so", but this is exactly what I said would happen with VAR when it was in its inception. From day 1 I believed this would cause far more controversy than it would ever solve, and now we are were we are. The worst aspect is not having the emotional release of fully celebrating a goal, because you know some herbert in a studio is desperately looking for a reason - no matter how tiny or minor - to get it binned off.

I f***ing hate VAR. I knew I would. And I always will.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
There have been analysis done on VAR decisions over the last couple of seasons. It shows there is no evidence of bias.

In 2020/21. ironically, It was Albion who benefited the most from VAR.
Meaning the matchday officials were giving fewer correct decisions to us during the game and thus creating more opportunities for VAR to get involved and overturn a decision in our favour. If they were getting most correct to start with, then VAR wouldn't need to be involved.

Why were there more decisions going against us requiring VAR to intervene to get the decision right? Surely it could easily be interpreted as the officials displaying an unconscious bias against us in the first place and siding with the bigger teams when it came to their decision making.

If they were already more generous in their decisions and gave far more benefit of the doubt to a (big 6 or even established over non established) side, surely they will need fewer VAR interventions in their favour and will therefore benefit from VAR the least

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Where did all the talk about it not getting reviewed/overturned because it didn't happen in the box come from, then? Maybe in the head of Clive Twatty Tyldsley?
You've answered your own question there: most people don't understand VAR's remit, and CTT falls into that category. VAR surveys 4 categories:
-- goals
-- penalty decisions
-- red cards
-- mistaken identity

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Perhaps not quite abominable today but...

What's happened to the rule about subs leaving the pitch at the nearest touchline?
Why do no refs in existence seem willing to punish time wasting at the first instance?

Am I being a miser on what should be a celebratory evening having bested a bunch of time wasting amateurs?

Answers on a postcard

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Perhaps not quite abominable today but...

What's happened to the rule about subs leaving the pitch at the nearest touchline?
Why do no refs in existence seem willing to punish time wasting at the first instance?

Am I being a miser on what should be a celebratory evening having bested a bunch of time wasting amateurs?

Answers on a postcard
Yep - him and the linos bought the free kicks and play acting all afternoon - piss poor.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Ref was really winding me up today pointing at his his watch every time they were time wasting. Just stick a bloody card up their nose and it would stop immediately. Can’t believe only 4 mins added on either.
Though, in a twist of justice, 4 minutes suited us down to the ground.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here