[Albion] Abdallah Sima

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Christ almighty! - another football 'expert' who can't even spell the player's name! How deep a level of disrespect is that ..................................... send him to Houghton at Nottingum Forrest, why don'tcha ...........................

I thought that was Hughton :)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Yeh, I should of known better! - always new it was Hewton! :lolol:

Even though I know you’re joking, it still hurts my eyes to read the italic part…!

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Christ almighty! - another football 'expert' who can't even spell the player's name! How deep a level of disrespect is that ..................................... send him to Houghton at Nottingum Forrest, why don'tcha ...........................

Oh lor' - if only we signed this fvckin' wonderkid Connelly. Let's face it, for some lazy posters who can't be bothered to spell our players' names there was just one good reason for getting rid of Jahanbakhsh, and it wasn't that he wasn't good enough! And no, in cases like the one I've quoted, don't come flailing in with the dyslexia defence - it doesn't apply; just disrespect and laziness.

Why are you focusing on spelling when the central point being made is 100% correct!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Why are you focusing on spelling when the central point being made is 100% correct!?

The poster loses marks for criticising Gross at right wing back. He plays that position brilliantly in our system. Zeqiri (no u in there) is a young kid who has barely played, his loan spell makes a lot of sense. I would have liked to see a striker come in as well, but Maupay, Welbeck and Connolly are what we are going with. Locadia is still here too, on big wages, so we shouldn't just ignore him - we're not Man City who can have players being paid but with no interest in using them.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The poster loses marks for criticising Gross at right wing back. He plays that position brilliantly in our system.

I have to disagree about 'brilliantly'. He has done his best as a stand in, but at RWB he is a weakness waiting to exploited. Everton's first goal could be seen as a direct result of an out of position Pascal not having the pace to get close to Demari Gray. Gross is great delivering forward balls, but he's not a defender. The return of Lamptey or Veltman to that position should make us much stronger in defence and allow Gross to play in midfield where his lack of pace is not so much of an issue and where his creativity can be most effective.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I have to disagree about 'brilliantly'. He has done his best as a stand in, but at RWB he is a weakness waiting to exploited. Everton's first goal could be seen as a direct result of an out of position Pascal not having the pace to get close to Demari Gray. Gross is great delivering forward balls, but he's not a defender. The return of Lamptey or Veltman to that position should make us much stronger in defence and allow Gross to play in midfield where his lack of pace is not so much of an issue and where his creativity can be most effective.

We have plenty of weaknesses waiting to be exploited, every team does. When we come up against natural wingers we struggle, it's always been the case. Most teams don't play with them and we could maybe have done something to try and limit the exposure but our manager chose not to. Given the options available, Gross was the best and I think he's been excellent in the role overall. Naturally, I would rather see Lamptey in the side and Gross playing where Lallana has been but we have to live within the confines of the squad availability.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
When we come up against natural wingers we struggle, it's always been the case.

Far more likely to happen when we have two central midfielders playing at WB though, isn't it? It was obvious that Rafa had done his homework on us and knew to use the wings.

If Lamptey and March/Cucu had been playing, it wouldn't have been anywhere near as effective and likely would've led to a completely different match.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Far more likely to happen when we have two central midfielders playing at WB though, isn't it? It was obvious that Rafa had done his homework on us and knew to use the wings.

If Lamptey and March/Cucu had been playing, it wouldn't have been anywhere near as effective and likely would've led to a completely different match.

To be honest, I don't think Rafa did any homework at all. He picks his team and the team he played against us was how they played previously and will continue to play. His tactics are easy, wingers cross the ball for DCL to score. That's it, tactics done.

Why are we getting into the realms of fantasy? Lamptey couldn't play, Cucurella wasn't even our player yet. Obviously those two would make us stronger, no question about it. But they weren't available, it was the match it was. Did we lose because Gross was at wing back? No. Have we won matches with him in that position? Yes - this season. That's all I'm getting at there, he's done well in the position.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

Not sure I'd say he was any genius for that.

We could of got something out that game with wing backs though. The entire first half both wingbacks were in acres of space constantly but we just never got them the service or when we did they didnt have the speed and skill to hurt everton.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Given the options available, Gross was the best and I think he's been excellent in the role overall.

I don't want to derail the thread, but I don't think that Graham Potter agreed with you. He changed things at half time, playing the second half with a back four with Webster at RB and Gross pushed into midfield. As a result, Gray was less of a problem in the second half. Unfortunately, the absence of a Ben White to provide natural cover for Solly's injury meant that Joel Veltman had to play at left back in the 4. He seemed to struggle in the position, not only approaching the tackle on Coleman from the wrong side, but slowing up and wanting to come inside on his right every time we had potential for an overlap. I'm guessing that a tendency to want to do the same thing may be one of the reasons why Karbownik has been loaned out with a potential sell on. I heard Cardiff fans saying that they were impressed with him in the cup game, but Warren Aspinall on the radio was consistently mentioning how much his right footedness slowed progress.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I don't want to derail the thread, but I don't think that Graham Potter agreed with you. He changed things at half time, playing the second half with a back four with Webster at RB and Gross pushed into midfield. As a result, Gray was less of a problem in the second half. Unfortunately, the absence of a Ben White to provide natural cover for Solly's injury meant that Joel Veltman had to play at left back in the 4. He seemed to struggle in the position, not only approaching the tackle on Coleman from the wrong side, but slowing up and wanting to come inside on his right every time we had potential for an overlap. I'm guessing that a tendency to want to do the same thing may be one of the reasons why Karbownik has been loaned out with a potential sell on. I heard Cardiff fans saying that they were impressed with him in the cup game, but Warren Aspinall on the radio was consistently mentioning how much his right footedness slowed progress.

Well, yes - Potter changed tactics as he always does. The game wasn't going very well, there's no argument about it at all - it was a game we lost in the first half and then confirmed it in the second. But that wasn't because Gross played at right wing back. It didn't help, but it wasn't the only reason we lost the match. We had a few players out injured or in the case of Cucurella, not yet signed. We had what we had, we put out a good team which on another day might well have won the game. On this day, it didn't. Potter did what Potter does and changed tactics, it wasn't enough on the day - we move on. My point has been that Gross has done well for us at right wing back and at times he's been brilliant in that position - getting assists and creating chances. We really couldn't have asked for more from him in that position and I think it largely suits him.

Would I prefer to see Tariq Lamptey play there? Well, obviously. But he's made of glass now.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
The poster loses marks for criticising Gross at right wing back. He plays that position brilliantly in our system. Zeqiri (no u in there) is a young kid who has barely played, his loan spell makes a lot of sense. I would have liked to see a striker come in as well, but Maupay, Welbeck and Connolly are what we are going with. Locadia is still here too, on big wages, so we shouldn't just ignore him - we're not Man City who can have players being paid but with no interest in using them.

In summary. It was lunacy to loan Zeq and Sima. Now AC is injured, which only emphasises just how stupid we were. AC should have been loaned ONLY IF we brought in a striker.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

Spot on

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
We have plenty of weaknesses waiting to be exploited, every team does. When we come up against natural wingers we struggle, it's always been the case. Most teams don't play with them and we could maybe have done something to try and limit the exposure but our manager chose not to. Given the options available, Gross was the best and I think he's been excellent in the role overall. Naturally, I would rather see Lamptey in the side and Gross playing where Lallana has been but we have to live within the confines of the squad availability.

Hmmm. So Potter made a clear mistake pitting Gross against Gray. He tried to correct his mistake, but Velts clearly not match fit.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

Spot on

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
To be honest, I don't think Rafa did any homework at all. He picks his team and the team he played against us was how they played previously and will continue to play. His tactics are easy, wingers cross the ball for DCL to score. That's it, tactics done.

Why are we getting into the realms of fantasy? Lamptey couldn't play, Cucurella wasn't even our player yet. Obviously those two would make us stronger, no question about it. But they weren't available, it was the match it was. Did we lose because Gross was at wing back? No. Have we won matches with him in that position? Yes - this season. That's all I'm getting at there, he's done well in the position.

We conceded because Gross was playing RWB. His replacement then got out of position and gave away a silly penalty.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Well, yes - Potter changed tactics as he always does. The game wasn't going very well, there's no argument about it at all - it was a game we lost in the first half and then confirmed it in the second. But that wasn't because Gross played at right wing back. It didn't help, but it wasn't the only reason we lost the match. We had a few players out injured or in the case of Cucurella, not yet signed. We had what we had, we put out a good team which on another day might well have won the game. On this day, it didn't. Potter did what Potter does and changed tactics, it wasn't enough on the day - we move on. My point has been that Gross has done well for us at right wing back and at times he's been brilliant in that position - getting assists and creating chances. We really couldn't have asked for more from him in that position and I think it largely suits him.

Would I prefer to see Tariq Lamptey play there? Well, obviously. But he's made of glass now.

You are being far too kind to Potter and Gross there. Potter put him at RWB in a game against a winger who had approximately twice his pace. Big mistake by Potter. I am sure Gross did his best but, really, he was hung out to dry

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
You are being far too kind to Potter and Gross there. Potter put him at RWB in a game against a winger who had approximately twice his pace. Big mistake by Potter. I am sure Gross did his best but, really, he was hung out to dry

And you are being far too critical as per....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports