[Albion] Abdallah Sima

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
This guy was very good at Slavia Prague.. but this does feel like make or break. A good season in Scotland and his value could rise again

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Third.

....and are we really getting our £7M back in loan fees?

That's the question @Garry Nelson's Left Foot was posing, I think.

We certainly won't have recouped anything like that yet but time will tell. He just turned 22 last week.

Fingers crossed he has a break out season with Rangers or elsewhere. Then either he links back up with us or we sell him on.

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Third.

....and are we really getting our £7M back in loan fees? It hasn't been mentioned as a loan-to-buy, has it? - I don't think SPL teams (apart from Celtic) can afford £7M anyway.
No, they won't get it back off one loan but if, for example, there is a 500k loan fee then that's 1.5m we'll get paid over those three loans and then if we can sell him for say 1.5-2m then we've got half the fee back, paid minimal wages so haven't lost too much.

It is in isolation, but in the context of Albion transfer dealings a £7m 'loss' is a perfectly acceptable price to pay, tor the business model Mr Bloom wishes to follow.
Is it? I know(or think i know!) the model is buy low and take a 'punt' on young players with promise, knowing that some won't work out but I'd assume that the club would want to minimise each loss as much as possible.

That just seems sensible so if we can recoup as much of the outlay on a player that doesn't make it then we can put more money into taking more 'punts'.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
That's the question @Gary Nelson's Left Foot was posing, I think.

We certainly won't have recouped anything like that yet but time will tell. He just tried 22 last week.

Fingers crossed he has a break out season with Rangers or elsewhere. Then either he links back up with us or we sell him on.
Kind of. I was wondering how much, if any, of the original outlay we have made back through the loans.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I don't get why some think that we need to recoup more for every single player we sign.
If Sima goes to Rangers, it'll be his third loan, the others being Stoke (that didn't go well) and Angers which went better -- but 4 in 30 apps doesn't exactly promise him burning up the upper echelons of the PL and EL

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I don't get why some think that we need to recoup more for every single player we sign.
If Sima goes to Rangers, it'll be his third loan, the others being Stoke (that didn't go well) and Angers which went better -- but 4 in 30 apps doesn't exactly promise him burning up the upper echelons of the PL and EL

We're bound to make a loss on some players but it's the more than made up for by the successes. The fee for Ben White alone covered the outaly for Ally Mac, Caicedo, Mitoma, Enciso, Buonanotte, Sima and probably a few more too..

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Aside from the transfer fee we paid and any loan fees receive, there's no guarantee that we won't have been covering a %age of his wages.

A £7m acquisition at a Premier League club is going to be earning a decent amount, and it's not inconceivable that neither Stoke nor Angers would have been able to pick up 100% of his pay.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
This guy was very good at Slavia Prague.. but this does feel like make or break. A good season in Scotland and his value could rise again
A very good move. Beale (Rangers Manager) has cleared out a lot of players and is starting pretty much afresh. Beale is obviously a good manager and a season in the more agricultural SPL will help Sima's development in particular the physicality element of his game.

TNBA

TTF

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Kind of. I was wondering how much, if any, of the original outlay we have made back through the loans.
Aside from the transfer fee we paid and any loan fees receive, there's no guarantee that we won't have been covering a %age of his wages.

A £7m acquisition at a Premier League club is going to be earning a decent amount, and it's not inconceivable that neither Stoke nor Angers would have been able to pick up 100% of his pay.
I am as aware as anybody else that we can't expect to make a profit on every player who passes through our books - but we can't afford to lose too many either. It's increasingly looking likey that we won't recoup the £7M we spent on Sima (and if I'm wrong I'll be absolutely delighted) ... but also on the last few days a couple of bright sparks from our very good PL2 team of the last year or two have also walked on a free.
I realise the first team is now on a different level to what it was when we took them on as youngsters a few years ago, but we no need this to hapen too often. These two youngsters were not released at an early stage, but had come right through to the U21s and done well there - still a considerable investment (in real terms, if not in PL silly money terms) to wave goodbye too.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Seems an ideal next (and possibly final) loan! He’ll have to make sure he doesn’t get filmed doing karate in a Celtic kit tho.

Unless he absolutely tears it up, guess he’ll be sold for a fraction of what we paid as people predict. But if one or two like Gyokeres have sell ons and move for bigger money then that’s another chunk of the outlay back.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
He had limited opportunities to shine in France playing for a struggling team. He’ll get plenty in Scotland. Should be a great opportunity for him and if he does well we should be able to demand a reasonable transfer fee. Loans will often involve a loan fee which will assist in minimising our initial outlay on a player.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
The sort of player who could smash the SPL.

Good luck to him.

One of the highlights is him missing a clear chance, the ball bouncing off the keeper, into the defender’s face, and then scoring the tap in rebound. If I were compiling that I’d have not shown 90% of the clip…

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
SIMA LOANED TO RANGERS

Abdallah Sima will spend the 2022/23 campaign on a season-long loan with Glasgow Rangers.

The 22-year-old Senegal international, who signed for Albion in 2021 from Slavia Prague, spent last season on loan with French Ligue 1 side Angers.

His loan with Rangers will commence on 1 July, and be subject to international clearance.

Technical director David Weir said, “Abdallah had a really strong finish to last season in France, after initially being disrupted by injury — but he once again showed his ability when he did play, and the potential he offers.

“We are hoping he can get a good run of games with Rangers this coming season, both domestically and in European competition, and we will keep a close eye on his progress.”

Abdallah scored five goals from 19 starts with Angers last season; and the loan followed a similar spell with Stoke City in 2021/22.

He began his youth career in Senegal before a move to French side Thonon Evian. He joined Czech side FC Taborsko early in 2020, moving to Slavia later that year.

His 16 goals in 33 appearances in all competitions for Slavia in the 2020/21 season helped them reach the Europa League quarter-finals, and to a seventh league title.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Decent move that for sure!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports