Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Abdallah Sima

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
To think signing one striker is enough to propel us almost half way up the table is such a basic premise.

Signing one striker doesn’t guarantee success, but it will give us a much better chance of achieving it. As it stands, we’re definitely weaker up front than we were last season. Arguably Maupay could continue to find form, Welbeck could stay injury-free and Connolly could become half the player he thinks he is, but that’s a big risk!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Where would Leeds be without Bamford?
Where would Palace be without Zaha?
Where would Southampton have been without Ings?

Yorkshire.
Not quite London.
Hampshire.

Me and my O-level geography are always happy to help.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Where would Leeds be without Bamford?
Where would Palace be without Zaha?
Where would Southampton have been without Ings?

You kind of prove my point with your Palace and Southampton examples - even with those players they still finished 14th and 15th last season.

And with regard to Leeds, the question is where would they be without Bielsa?

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
"Simply not good enough". Very funny and needy.

Who made you the judge of what is good enough? Are you Potter, Ashworth or Bloom?

For all you and we know, Potter may be perfectly happy with what he has now it looks like Cucurella is joining as he gives us multiple options and the fact we generally just play with one central striker anyway.

Everyone in football knows getting a good striker is really difficult, and expensive. IF we are looking for another striker and IF we can't get our number one target (lets assume that is Nunez), then I would much rather we saved our money than waste it on a second rate option we're not as confident about and go with what we have.

So you’re happy with the current 3 are you?? , everyone knows we’re 1 decent striker away from a mid table finish, how many chances did we squander last season? Cannot rely on those 3 to push us up the table

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Signing one striker doesn’t guarantee success, but it will give us a much better chance of achieving it. As it stands, we’re definitely weaker up front than we were last season. Arguably Maupay could continue to find form, Welbeck could stay injury-free and Connolly could become half the player he thinks he is, but that’s a big risk!

But equally, we could sign a striker who: 1. Doesn't find any form; 2. Gets injured; 3. Isn't half the player we hoped he was.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
And you also have to consider loss of form.

I think he's started the season really well, but his form was abysmal for long stretches last season. This could easily happen again. It's very unhealthy to have players who are, in effect, undroppable no matter how badly they are playing

Spot on, asking for trouble based on his misses last season, very risky to rely on him

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
But equally, we could sign a striker who: 1. Doesn't find any form; 2. Gets injured; 3. Isn't half the player we hoped he was.

Yes but to say we’re going to rely on those 3 is very risky , I would have been happy to have kept last season’s squad and only add 1 decent striker - nothing else, good striker is a game changer - 5th on the XG table says it all

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
So you’re happy with the current 3 are you?? , everyone knows we’re 1 decent striker away from a mid table finish, how many chances did we squander last season? Cannot rely on those 3 to push us up the table

I am as it goes.

But IF we can sign a striker who is one of our main targets and our recruitment team and management are confident is better than what we have then great. But it's certainly not easy to do that and it certainly won't be cheap. I'd rather we signed no one than 2nd rate.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde

Yep.

As it stands we are weaker both in attack and defense. Big day needed or its been a balls up from the club.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Yes but to say we’re going to rely on those 3 is very risky , I would have been happy to have kept last season’s squad and only add 1 decent striker - nothing else, good striker is a game changer - 5th on the XG table says it all

Actually I think as we saw on Saturday, cover at full/wing back is more of a priority and it looks like we've done that.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
You kind of prove my point with your Palace and Southampton examples - even with those players they still finished 14th and 15th last season.

And with regard to Leeds, the question is where would they be without Bielsa?

I'd be quite happy with 14th and not really worrying about relegation personally. And Bielsa can set his team up any way he likes (much like Potter does), you still need someone good enough to put the chances created away. They had one, we didn't, which is why they finished higher up the table than we did.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

That is obvs true. But we are certainly short in striker dept as things stand. The latter is also true. Are you suggesting our pursuit of a striker this window is wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I am as it goes.

But IF we can sign a striker who is one of our main targets and our recruitment team and management are confident is better than what we have then great. But it's certainly not easy to do that and it certainly won't be cheap. I'd rather we signed no one than 2nd rate.

Oh I agree. Has to be better. But it is a must signing IMHO

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Actually I think as we saw on Saturday, cover at full/wing back is more of a priority and it looks like we've done that.

In one game I agree. Last season is the evidence we need a striker as the top priority. That is a whole season BTW!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'd be quite happy with 14th and not really worrying about relegation personally. And Bielsa can set his team up any way he likes (much like Potter does), you still need someone good enough to put the chances created away. They had one, we didn't, which is why they finished higher up the table than we did.

+ Raphinha - 6 goals, 9 assists from midfield last season.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

It's options.

Welbeck injured, Maupay hopelessly low on confidence, there is no option other than diving show pony AC. Loss of form, injuries, suspensions defensive weaknesses of opposition that could be exploited.

You need options, we dont have them in attacking areas to the same degree we do in other areas, and whilst it's a cliche, goals win games.

Yeah yeah we want more goals from MF etc, but it's the attacking options that should be expected to deliver the bulk of what's needed imho..... MF and defender goals are great but should be deemed as good bonuses rather than relied upon because the attacking areas are not strong enough or with enough depth.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here