[Albion] Aaron Connolly - Premier League 2 Player of the Season

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Sometimes you have to reach the bottom before can you begin climbing back up.

I’m a big believer in allowing people the chance for redemption but not in taking the piss. No idea what happened but the rumours of a training ground bust up on Thursday and then not travelling with the squad when fit suggest things have reached a head. I hope AC takes the opportunity to take stock of where things appear to be headed right now, makes whatever changes he and only he can make and knuckles down. He has undoubted ability but if that isn’t matched by the right attitude then the outcome is clear.

Nobody wins if this doesn’t get resolved so I really hope this is a watershed and he is able to draw a line under the past 12 months and use it to motivate himself positively. Nobody ever improved without setbacks to overcome.

Anyone who's been a line manager will know that if things aren't going well at home, performance at work can suffer. Having read a little about his ex or not ex girlfriend, I can't help thinking that's where his problems lie. I'm sure the club is aware and will try to help, if that's the case.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Anyone who's been a line manager will know that if things aren't going well at home, performance at work can suffer. Having read a little about his ex or not ex girlfriend, I can't help thinking that's where his problems lie. I'm sure the club is aware and will try to help, if that's the case.

This. Don't know the woman and never seen Love Island, but it's all about sex / flirting or bitching from what I understand, so to have your woman (or ex) on prime TV throwing it about must be hard.

She does seem like an attention seeking tart tbh.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
I’m of the opinion we should loan him to Bristol City

Do him good in the championship and if he throws another tantrum just think what Nigel Pearson will do to him

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Send him to Crawley
Not far enough away! His loan spell is not just about playing football, it is also to make a break from his present lifestyle, circle of friends, haunts, hangouts, etc. In other words a complete break for a season, then re-assess.
And if he finds a better girlfriend while oop north or wherever, so much the better!

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Sometimes you can't manage someone to be better, you just have to manage them out the door - before they corrupt the team dynamics too much.

I hope this isn't the case and Connolly can come good for us, but....

I do wonder what we might get for him in this window. I mean he's a full international now.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Maybe it's time the club hired him a Nanny? What's Mary Poppins up to these days?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Hibs is my preferred destination for the boy who needs to turn into a man:

“STRIKER HUNT
Hibs boss Jack Ross will step up his bid to land a new striker after Christian Doidge was ruled out for three months”

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Hibs is my preferred destination for the boy who needs to turn into a man:

“STRIKER HUNT
Hibs boss Jack Ross will step up his bid to land a new striker after Christian Doidge was ruled out for three months”

I don't think asking them to solve our problems is part of the deal! Anyway, the nightlife in Edinburgh is far too attractive fr us to send young hedonist Connolly there (I have first hand experience).
Carlisle is far enough away!... or Barrow even (culturally) further!

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
the nightlife in Edinburgh is far too attractive for us to send young hedonist Connolly there (I have first hand experience).

Didn’t think of that, back to the drawing board!

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
He has scored at every level he has played at, we have stuck with him, he is stlll young and has the best years ahead of him, Potter is all about developing players, Andone is in the squad again, I would not be surprised to see him start and score in on of the coming games.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I don't think asking them to solve our problems is part of the deal! Anyway, the nightlife in Edinburgh is far too attractive fr us to send young hedonist Connolly there (I have first hand experience).

Hey - my wife is from Barrow, what are you saying??

I agree though.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Just that it's a long way from anywhere ............................ except Workington, of course!

Last time I was in Workington of an evening, I had to cross the street to avoid some very frightening lasses. I think maybe that is just the place for our Aaron!

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
He has scored at every level he has played at, we have stuck with him, he is stlll young and has the best years ahead of him, Potter is all about developing players, Andone is in the squad again, I would not be surprised to see him start and score in on of the coming games.
Of the players he inherited from CH, Potter has improved Burn, March and Bissouma - arguably Dunk too.Sanchez and White have cole through the ranks brilliantly, Alzate to a lesser extent too.

But let's not forget he's shipped out Bernado, Murray, Andone, Duffy, Stephens Propper, Locadia, Jahanbasksh, Ryan, Schelotto and Montoya with no improvement at all, just regression. To say he's 'all about' developing players is definitely stretching it. The forwards went backwards last year. The club really need to get a grip on the Connolly situation before his enormous potential is wasted - a loan spell might be the way to go.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Of the players he inherited from CH, Potter has improved Burn, March and Bissouma - arguably Dunk too.Sanchez and White have cole through the ranks brilliantly, Alzate to a lesser extent too.

But let's not forget he's shipped out Bernado, Murray, Andone, Duffy, Stephens Propper, Locadia, Jahanbasksh, Ryan, Schelotto and Montoya with no improvement at all, just regression. To say he's 'all about' developing players is definitely stretching it. The forwards went backwards last year. The club really need to get a grip on the Connolly situation before his enormous potential is wasted - a loan spell might be the way to go.

He shipped them out because they weren't good enough to move us on, FFS - even if Duffy seems to have got a bit of a second chance. There's a few more we need to move on too.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

The players shipped out were done so for many reasons, not just because Potter couldn't improve them. When a player has reached the limit of what he can do for the team and it's just not enough, it's best to call it a day. Every player reaches their Sell By date. Also if another player is just better, the same applies. The other reason is that some players are set in their ways which they regard as their strengths. Not every player can be noticeably coached to the system used by the coach. I'm not buying that the natural progression, of the players you listed,through the club is any evidence at all that Potter isn't all about developing players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports