[Albion] Aaron Connolly - joining Hull permanently

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Shock.

Another step on the road to banging the goals in for Galway United.

I still think the Albion have some blame in this. I don’t think he was handled well at all, and he should definitely have had a Championship loan before being thrown in at the deep end and given a big contract. I hope we’ve learn from it. I think we have.
An interesting comparison with Gyökeres and Toney. We gave up on the first too soon and Newcastle gave up on the later gambling he wouldn’t be a late developer. Both were.

But with Connolly, he was scoring for fun in the EPL2. I suspect he didn’t need to apply himself that much as it was ridiculous natural talent bagging him the goals. But when things got serious and professional, suggestions were made about curtailing his Shoosh lifestyle, that’s when the challenge kicked in. He just couldn’t grab it. Maybe football is not his all?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
OK. Maybe. I feel that were he capable of amounting to anything, he would have done. The fact (if it is a fact) he has 'people' suggests that he has created his own path. The only question for me is whether he was ever sufficiently competent to be allowed to set his own path. I'm not prepared to throw him in the sea for the occasional acts of bell-endery, but that still doesn't mean he is, or would ever be, any good. On that basis I don't consider that a lack of early loan period is responsible for his downfall.

Edit: but it could be though. We will never know.
You’ve hit on the single biggest problem with Connorly. He was never that good, in particular technically.
Hopefully he will get a shot somewhere else. Maybe abroad?

Zeus

Jan 10, 2022
You’ve hit on the single biggest problem with Connorly. He was never that good, in particular technically.
He really did only ever really look good in his debut. He worked hard in a couple of games after that and then it was pretty much down hill accelerated by his massive bellendry. I still have an inkling that Connollys debut performance rushed the club into awarding a big contract ultimately at the expense of giving Gykores more time as Aarron was prioritised. I hope we have learnt lessons.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He’s tried abroad already, that didn’t go too well either did it (half a season, 5 apps, no goals)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He really did only ever really look good in his debut. He worked hard in a couple of games after that and then it was pretty much down hill accelerated by his massive bellendry. I still have an inkling that Connollys debut performance rushed the club into awarding a big contract ultimately at the expense of giving Gykores more time as Aarron was prioritised. I hope we have learnt lessons.
Oh come on! He looked really bloody good in PL2 as well. Player of the season; not just Brighton's PL2 player of the season, but the whole of PL2's player of the season. You don't get that for being sh1te, and there's plenty of competition.
I still believe it was a mistake not to send him out on loan sooner than we did. He didn't wany to go? Tough sh1te sonny, you're a teenager earning huge amounts of money compared to nearly all other teenagers, so just f***in' pack your bags and head off to Bolton/Sheffield/Walsall/ wherever!

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Quite possibly. Although Gykores didn’t look like a special talent at the Albion.
Maybe leaving the club was the making of him.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
By then he'd got the big Premier League contract though, the wages and the hangers on.
True. But that doesn’t mean the situation is irretrievable, in fact he said he’d learnt and ditched the hangers on when he went to Boro.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
True. But that doesn’t mean the situation is irretrievable, in fact he said he’d learnt and ditched the hangers on when he went to Boro.
Yep, although that was a lie, as he was frequently making visits back down here to hang out in Sussex with the same crowd he was semi frequently getting in nightclub bother with.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It’ll be interesting to see what Hull do next season - by my count they’ve lost about 30 goals from Aaron + their loaned players which seems a big gap to fill just to stand still.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
When Connolly broke into the team against Spurs and scored 2, lots of people were questioning why Hughton hadn't played hi previously. Little did we know that was going to be his highlight with us.

I do hope he gets his career on track (there were early signs pre injury at hull, that he was getting there)

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
He was doing well enough early season with Hull that perhaps a Championship team might take a gamble, but otherwise you'd expect him to land in League 1, or SPL as an outside shout.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Wasn't it the pizza-bothering, dope-smoking Swede formerly of this parish who had a real bee in his Ikea bonnet about Conolly and the stick that he got from certain sections of NSC?

A Krona for his thoughts on young Aaron now...

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
There seems to be a lot mud throwing at the club over Aarons career, I think a lot of this is unfair, he was maybe rushed through due to our lack of options at the time, he went on loan, he also turned down loan deals, players tried to mentor him, I remember watching the last game of the season before he fecked off, and no team mates went near him, they all wondered around the Amex pitch with families and friends and team mates laughing and joking etc, Aaron wondered around on his own, that spoke volumes to me, he burnt his own bridges, made his own bad mistakes, I feel the club did everything they could help at the time for Aaron and in the end he blew it.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
When Connolly broke into the team against Spurs and scored 2, lots of people were questioning why Hughton hadn't played hi previously. Little did we know that was going to be his highlight with us.

I do hope he gets his career on track (there were early signs pre injury at hull, that he was getting there)
Interesting that CH had planned to bring VG into the first team the following season and not AC. Source CH himself.

Ike and Tina Burner

Mar 22, 2019
It seems he did OK at Hull and you never know if he'll re-sign for them later in the summer. Maybe looking at his options for now. Who knows where he'll end up. A pure guess would be Portsmouth.
If he isn't completely crocked and can pass a medical, he has enough credit in the bank for a lower championship or promotion chasing league 1 club to take a punt on him. Portsmouth or Derby I reckon.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
As I said - by not making the playoffs given the investment he had, especially in January Hull under performed. Liam Rosenior sacked by Hull

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports