[Albion] Aaron Connolly - joining Hull permanently

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If (hypothetically) we received near to £1m for Gyokores, what would you take for Connolly?

I still think we’d look for something similar plus add-ons.

I can honestly see another loan. Much as with Locadia and Andone we'll give him a last, last chance. Will he have the intelligence to take it? Tone will want to see some kind of ROI even if it's just on the wages we've paid him and chances we've given.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I can honestly see another loan. Much as with Locadia and Andone we'll give him a last, last chance. Will he have the intelligence to take it? Tone will want to see some kind of ROI even if it's just on the wages we've paid him and chances we've given.

Possibly. I just wonder whether for the good of his career and whilst there is value, whether the club will try and off-load. I think Connolly will probably be relieved to get away permanently.

I wonder if he'll end up at one of the relegated teams or whether someone like Reading or Bristol City will have a punt on him.

Edit - or Nathan Jones at Luton.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Possibly. I just wonder whether for the good of his career and whilst there is value, whether the club will try and off-load. I think Connolly will probably be relieved to get away permanently.

I wonder if he'll end up at one of the relegated teams or whether someone like Reading or Bristol City will have a punt on him.

Jones is a good shout, so long as he was playing with a big man up top as they're quite industrial.

"Value" is absolutely key. I agree. It's whether our gambler Chairman sees that the value will be higher after another, hopefully successful, loan or after a mixed stay at Boro. The risk being weighted up, of course, being that two poor loan spells in a row leave him almost unsellable for anything other than peanuts.

I've no doubt he wants away, not sure he'll be bothered if it's a year loan with option to buy or a permanent transfer, but I suspect only the loan will keep his wage packet where it is now.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Not sure how likely a Luton move is, they could well be in the Premier League next season, would they want him?

On top of that they’ve never worked together before, Jones had left us before Connolly joined and he wasn’t the Luton manager for the brief spell Aaron spent on loan there either.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The add ons are the key. £1 million basic would be a decent fee.

Really ? Brewster - £22M , 0 PL goals. Solanke 1 PL goal - £20M ….

Even Gyokeres who was never near our Championship squad let alone a PL one went to a skint Coventry for £1M.

Even Balogun also at Boro who some Arsenal fans wanted in their PL squad this season nearly went to Brentford for £8M , and he has 0 PL goals and 3 at Boro so far …

Bloom would take a decent amount for him - £5M+ or be another loan I reckon is more likely

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am actually past caring, I don’t think he has the character for the Albion squad and he’s got more attitude than desire imo

I hope we offload him, although I wish him no ill. I hope he can turn it around somewhere else. Millwall? :wink:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Just checking - are we applying the same metrics / rule to all of our U23s on loan ? If so there are a lot of shit Brighton players out there not going to make it if we look on social media from fans of the clubs their on loan at

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The much discussed Championship loan hasn’t worked out. Where next for Arron?
The League 1 loan that he should have been on last season - whether he wanted one or not. Athough he doesn't help himself, I think we have also mis-managed his development.

His contract with us doesn’t expire until 2024, so I think it’ll likely be another loan out. Don’t think another championship club would be interested in him, so probably SPL next. Probably Hibernian,
I think the much vaunted link up with Hibs is dead in the water (it is according to Hibs apparantly, anyway) - and this season's record with loans to the SPL has been patchy, to say the least. But yes, a loan somewhere almost certainly I think.

No - he's contracted until 2024 (and isn't that on the nice shiny new contract he got soon after the Spurs match?) so he won't want to be taking a pay cut to Reading or Bristol city wages. Not that I'm saying we should offload him - but even if we did want to, it might not be that easy!

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Even Gyokeres who was never near our Championship squad let alone a PL one went to a skint Coventry for £1M.

Even Balogun also at Boro who some Arsenal fans wanted in their PL squad this season nearly went to Brentford for £8M , and he has 0 PL goals and 3 at Boro so far …

Bloom would take a decent amount for him - £5M+ or be another loan I reckon is more likely

In terms of strikers, players coming through the Liverpool / Arsenal academy, and coming through the Brighton academy are entirely different things in terms of setting a fee. Brewster and Solanke have proved to be truly SHOCKING bits of business for the buying clubs - but they came at a premium because of who they'd played for. The same does not apply to BHA.

If anyone offered £5m for Connolly then Bloom will have truly won the lottery. Like you though, I think another loan is on the cards. BHA have never produced a striker of any note in our history, and Connolly is not going to the one to buck that trend, sadly,

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
In terms of strikers, players coming through the Liverpool / Arsenal academy, and coming through the Brighton academy are entirely different things in terms of setting a fee. Brewster and Solanke have proved to be truly SHOCKING bits of business for the buying clubs - but they came at a premium because of who they'd played for. The same does not apply to BHA.

To be fair Solanke does have 26 goals for Bournemouth this season

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
To be fair Solanke does have 26 goals for Bournemouth this season

That is very fair, to be fair. However I was judging him by his PL return after signing for Plucky, which was a rather anaemic 3 goals in 42 games. Thats Connolly-esque.

Maybe he'll tear it up next season though.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just checking - are we applying the same metrics / rule to all of our U23s on loan ? If so there are a lot of shit Brighton players out there not going to make it if we look on social media from fans of the clubs their on loan at

Really?

Blackburn delighted with Van Hecke and Khadra and would like to keep them. West Brom. very happy with Clarke, a bit iffy about Molumby, but not shit. Stoke were delighted at first with Ostigard (even had a song for him) but he was oddly dropped and trasnsferred elsewhere - and Stoke have slipped back since he stopped playing for them. The only reason they don't like Sima is because he's never fit to play!

Cochrane has been a regular first team choice at Hearts, with a Scottish Cup Final to look forward to. Rushworth is virtually an ever present at Walsall, and is considered one of the best GKs they've ever had.

That leaves Jenks at Aberdeen - a thoroughly miserable experience, hated by the fans from day one. Weir at Cambridge - not really a vacancy to fill in a fairly settled team, but was getting some game time until injured. Tolaj also at Cambridge, and Richards at Birmingham have hardly had a look in yet, and finally there was Dendoncker's not very successful loan at St. Johnstone (they were pretty unhappy with most of their early part of the season loanees, but at least reckoned that Dendoncker was the best of a bad bunch!)

Not exactly a lot of shit there, would you say? I don't follow the European leagues much, but I believe the prospective Champions of Belgium have got three of our's doing rather well for them?

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

If anyone offered £5m for Connolly then Bloom will have truly won the lottery. Like you though, I think another loan is on the cards. BHA have never produced a striker of any note in our history, and Connolly is not going to the one to buck that trend, sadly,

Plus Brewster and Solanke didn't leave their home club with derisive fans proclaiming how crap they were all over t'internet...........................

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No - he's contracted until 2024 (and isn't that on the nice shiny new contract he got soon after the Spurs match?) so he won't want to be taking a pay cut to Reading or Bristol city wages. Not that I'm saying we should offload him - but even if we did want to, it might not be that easy!

Clubs do subsidise wages to offload players, so it really depends on our position.

If we want rid, and there is a taker, actually it’s quite possible.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto

Brewster scored 1 goal in every 2 games for Swansea in the Championship and both he + Solanke were prolific at youth level for England prior to those moves.

You can see how clubs could get lured into paying big money for those two.

Who would pay £5M+ for Connoly at the moment?

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
Clubs do subsidise wages to offload players, so it really depends on our position.

If we want rid, and there is a taker, actually it’s quite possible.

Always have, when Bamber broke up the Div 1 team we sold Foster to Villa for around £450k but Villa only offered him a 3 year contract, he had 7 to run on his BHAFC contract so we had to pay him up the other 4 years . We sold him at a loss with all the Villa money plus some going to him.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Connolly isn't worth much more than £1m @ the moment, assuming there's any interest from anyone, he'll be gone over the summer.. . . Getting him off our books will probably be the priority.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Brewster scored 1 goal in every 2 games for Swansea in the Championship and both he + Solanke were prolific at youth level for England prior to those moves.

You can see how clubs could get lured into paying big money for those two.

Who would pay £5M+ for Connoly at the moment?

No one would.

Best option is to loan him out again next season and hope it goes well.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Really?

Blackburn delighted with Van Hecke and Khadra and would like to keep them. West Brom. very happy with Clarke, a bit iffy about Molumby, but not shit. Stike were delighted at first with Ostigard (even had a song for him) but he was oddly dropped and trasnsferred elsewhere - and Stoke have slipped back since he stopped playing for them. The only reason they don't like Sima is because he's never fit to play!

Cochrane has been a regular first team choice at Hearts, with a Scottish Cup Final to look forward to. Rushworth is virtually an ever present at Walsall, and is considered one of the best GKs they've ever had.

That leaves Jenks at Aberdeen - a thoroughly miserable experience, hated by the fans from day one. Weir at Cambridge - not really a vacancy to fill in a fairly settled team, but was getting some game time until injured. Tolaj also at Cambridge, and Richards at Birmingham have hardly had a look in yet, and finally there was Dendoncker's not very successful loan at St. Johnstone (they were pretty unhappy with most of their early part of the season loanees, but at least reckoned that Dendoncker was the best of a bad bunch!)

Not exactly a lot of shit there, would you say? I don't follow the European leagues much, but I believe the prospective Champions of Belgium have got three of our's doing rather well for them?

Blackburn journalist apparently rates Van Hecke extremely highly.

A work colleague and mate of mine is a WBA STH and says Clarke has been a stand out in a poor season.

Meanwhile, we've mostly had Shane Duffy as our back up centre back.

It does bear the question of whether these players are only good against Championship opponents or whether we've been letting someone else have the next Ben White while we've had Webster out, Dunk out of form and Burn sold.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports