[Albion] Aaron Connolly - joining Hull permanently

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I really struggle to understand the mentality of fans who can’t wait to jump on their keyboards and slag our own players off, whatever the situation. There is nothing positive for the club in Connolly being a failure at any level. The better we get, the worse it gets.

I do get it to an extent.

I realise you’re at every game, but if you read the match day thread, the comments are often borne out of extreme frustration. I’d imagine I’ve been guilty as well in the past…… and passion is an essential ingredient.

I think people not rating a player is one thing and them saying so, but taking satisfaction in failure is different and all a bit pointless IMO.

As for fronting up players on social media, just feel it’s all a bit pathetic. Perhaps I’m old and don’t get it, but they still don’t do it deliberately, I’m sure Connolly would like the Tottenham adulation every week….. so why go after him directly?

So glad I came off Twitter….

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Maybe failing at Middlesbrough is what he needs. Help him realise he isn't prime Henry and actually help him improve as a person and a footballer

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Showing my age (or something) here… who or what is a Prime Henry?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i believe the thread on fb was started by a boro fan who was genuinely questioning if he was missing something with connolly because he has done nothing at all......we all want him to improve but i personally think he needs a massive boot up the arse.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just had a look at that page. I'm no Connolly fan, but some of the disgusting comments on there say more about the posters than him. I'll put in something a bit more positive, too.

It was seeing that page that prompted me to post here last night. It’s pretty shameful, and a bit sad really.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I really struggle to understand the mentality of fans who can’t wait to jump on their keyboards and slag our own players off, whatever the situation. There is nothing positive for the club in Connolly being a failure at any level. The better we get, the worse it gets.

With my amateurish psychologist hat on I suspect there's a bit of bitterness behind it all amplified by Connolly having a perceived arrogance. People can hate it when they think someone rates themselves higher than whatever they think is acceptable, especially when there's an emotional investment.

I used to work with a bloke who knew David Haye, and he said what always amazed him was how Haye was utterly confident he'd win and was the best. Never even had a shred of doubt however much things were stacked against him or if he was behind in a fight: he'd literally removed defeat as a potential reality from his mind so it was as impossible as, say, growing wings and flying. Defeat was just as impossible as that. Haye told him he wouldn't be able to get in the ring any other way because defeat as a boxer is potentially fatal. It wasn't arrogance, it was self-protection just to do his job.

Football isn't boxing, but I can see players needing some of that same mentality to go week in, week out and believe they can do it regardless of whatever the data and 30,000 fans tell them. Strikers and goalkeepers particularly must have to have off the scale self-belief. I'd not be surprised at all if Connolly was plagued by enormous self-doubt though and struggling to convince himself let alone anyone else that he's any good. That tattoo seems a classic memory trigger device to remind himself of his talent in moments of doubt. Then a poor match makes both any on-field and off-field reaction from him more extreme too because they're compensating for how what he's telling himself is incongruous with his reality. Every now and then his reality and his mental image of himself click, but then they separate again. What he needs to do is find out why.

I don't think I've seen enough to show he's good enough for the Premier League, but I suspect with the right support fixing his mentality he'll be a significantly better player than he is now. I'm also sure he's been offered support, because our club seems like the kind that would, and I hope he has the mindset to make the most of it, whatever level his career takes him to. I don't think he needs a kick up the backside though, I think he needs compassion - that's not necessarily soft, it's recognising that an ego needs to be kept in check, but also not stifled or mocked until reality can't grow towards meeting it.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
With my amateurish psychologist hat on I suspect there's a bit of bitterness behind it all amplified by Connolly having a perceived arrogance. People can hate it when they think someone rates themselves higher than whatever they think is acceptable, especially when there's an emotional investment.

I used to work with a bloke who knew David Haye, and he said what always amazed him was how Haye was utterly confident he'd win and was the best. Never even had a shred of doubt however much things were stacked against him or if he was behind in a fight: he'd literally removed defeat as a potential reality from his mind so it was as impossible as, say, growing wings and flying. Defeat was just as impossible as that. Haye told him he wouldn't be able to get in the ring any other way because defeat as a boxer is potentially fatal. It wasn't arrogance, it was self-protection just to do his job.

Football isn't boxing, but I can see players needing some of that same mentality to go week in, week out and believe they can do it regardless of whatever the data and 30,000 fans tell them. Strikers and goalkeepers particularly must have to have off the scale self-belief. I'd not be surprised at all if Connolly was plagued by enormous self-doubt though and struggling to convince himself let alone anyone else that he's any good. That tattoo seems a classic memory trigger device to remind himself of his talent in moments of doubt. Then a poor match makes both any on-field and off-field reaction from him more extreme too because they're compensating for how what he's telling himself is incongruous with his reality. Every now and then his reality and his mental image of himself click, but then they separate again. What he needs to do is find out why.

I don't think I've seen enough to show he's good enough for the Premier League, but I suspect with the right support fixing his mentality he'll be a significantly better player than he is now. I'm also sure he's been offered support, because our club seems like the kind that would, and I hope he has the mindset to make the most of it, whatever level his career takes him to. I don't think he needs a kick up the backside though, I think he needs compassion - that's not necessarily soft, it's recognising that an ego needs to be kept in check, but also not stifled or mocked until reality can't grow towards meeting it.

Very articulately put. Cristiano Ronaldo is another. His "arrogance" is what has driven him from a spotty, wiry, light-weight winger to an absolute beast. A person can't do that without the insane self-belief it takes to put aside any doubt (and doubters) and achieve. I think it's oft forgotten that to even get to the level he's at, Connolly has succeeded where literally millions have failed. It'd say in the last 25 years, there have been less that 10,000 people that have made it into the main 3 strikers at a Premier League club?

Connolly needs something, I don't know what, but abuse is unlikely going to be it.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Really hoping things do work out for AC at Boro, or elsewhere, cant be easy with the fans on your back & them almost willing you to fail. After those Swansea goal I thought there'd at least be a Championship level striker in there who with a loan could develop and come back to us a better player. I think we forget sometimes that he is only 22. Hopefully a couple of goals soon changes the scipt.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Initially looked a good move but then suddenly he was up against it with Balogun going there at the same time and his instant impact yesterday is going to raise expectations he starts the next game.

Being hooked off by the manager on 56min is likely to have hurt as well. This is going to be a tough loan for him but he is going to need to knuckle down and find some form to become a regular starter.

Be interesting to see if he gets a run out in cup on Friday

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Very articulately put. Cristiano Ronaldo is another. His "arrogance" is what has driven him from a spotty, wiry, light-weight winger to an absolute beast. A person can't do that without the insane self-belief it takes to put aside any doubt (and doubters) and achieve. I think it's oft forgotten that to even get to the level he's at, Connolly has succeeded where literally millions have failed. It'd say in the last 25 years, there have been less that 10,000 people that have made it into the main 3 strikers at a Premier League club?

Connolly needs something, I don't know what, but abuse is unlikely going to be it.

I think your number of 10,000 is way too high! On your numbers:
With 20 teams, having 3 strikers that's 60 strikers a season.
Over 25 years that only gets 1500 even if every team changes their strikers every season, which of course they don't!

I am sure someone could look up the actual figures, but even assuming a squad of 5 strikers per team, I doubt there have have been more than 500 - 750 premier league strikers over that period.(depending on people's definition of strikers).

How many "strikers" have we played in the PL in 5 seasons? I reckon 7 or 8.

Which of course actually makes your point even more valid.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I think your number of 10,000 is way too high! On your numbers:
With 20 teams, having 3 strikers that's 60 strikers a season.
Over 25 years that only gets 1500 even if every team changes their strikers every season, which of course they don't!

I am sure someone could look up the actual figures, but even assuming a squad of 5 strikers per team, I doubt there have have been more than 500 - 750 premier league strikers over that period.(depending on people's definition of strikers).

How many "strikers" have we played in the PL in 5 seasons? I reckon 7 or 8.

Which of course actually makes your point even more valid.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Haha, funnily enough I was originally going to go with about 1,500 based on 3 strikers but knew someone would come back with "some clubs have 5 or 6 strikers" and my point would be lost in that pointless part of my post so went with a higher number!

You are of course, quite right. It's a staggeringly low number given that there are currently 4,000 pro footballers active in the UK this season alone.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Probably right but I can’t help feel his problem isn’t aptitude but attitude. That’s the signal he sends whether it’s right or wrong, hence frustration all round. And it’s a quick descent if the former isn’t sorted, hence predictions he’ll be playing in League of Ireland quicker than you can say Battle of Longford.

I don't think anyone will deny he has been an idiot off the pitch but he is being slaughtered for being absolutely crap when then is not absolutely true, he has a particular style and that does not suit the way Brighton play , to be fir to him a quick ball over the top is sometimes needed e.g. Maupay goal against Palace.... He had a similar chance against early in the game and missed it and then people were straight on his back. see plenty of more experienced strikers miss similar opportunities in the PL and get away with it.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Initially looked a good move but then suddenly he was up against it with Balogun going there at the same time and his instant impact yesterday is going to raise expectations he starts the next game.

Being hooked off by the manager on 56min is likely to have hurt as well. This is going to be a tough loan for him but he is going to need to knuckle down and find some form to become a regular starter.

Be interesting to see if he gets a run out in cup on Friday

Hindsight is a wonderful thing - but this isn't hindsight - I'm beginning to think I might have had a point when suggesting (here on NSC) that he should go on loan to League1 - or even League2 - NOT because that's his level, but because at the moment the important thing is to get him back scoring goals again - lots of them. The level to which he goes to do this would be immaterial; he definatley had something in PL2, but curretly he's lost that, whatever it was, and needs to rediscover it.

I must admit I had concerns about this loan the minute they signed Balogun; predictably, 'Boro fans started salivating over this great prospect from the mighty Arsenal, and wondering why they needed a kid from Brighton who had been having a lean spell in front of goal lately.. Doubled the difficuty for him overnight.

Really hope he starts banging them in soon.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I don't think anyone will deny he has been an idiot off the pitch but he is being slaughtered for being absolutely crap when then is not absolutely true, he has a particular style and that does not suit the way Brighton play , to be fir to him a quick ball over the top is sometimes needed e.g. Maupay goal against Palace.... He had a similar chance against early in the game and missed it and then people were straight on his back. see plenty of more experienced strikers miss similar opportunities in the PL and get away with it.

I agree about other players missing similar or easier chances but then he’s part of that joke aspect Brighton are currently tagged with. He’s had some bloody awful misses, easier to score type chances. Perception has become reality. Anyway, he has a great opportunity to prove doubters like me wrong so let’s hope he takes it. I feel my money is safe though. Remember being slated for saying Locadia’s not a footballer after couple viewings. No one ever comes back with a belated apology though. Funny that eh?! :)

South west gull

Nov 3, 2021
Hindsight is a wonderful thing - but this isn't hindsight - I'm beginning to think I might have had a point when suggesting (here on NSC) that he should go on loan to League1 - or even League2 - NOT because that's his level, but because at the moment the important thing is to get him back scoring goals again - lots of them. The level to which he goes to do this would be immaterial; he definatley had something in PL2, but curretly he's lost that, whatever it was, and needs to rediscover it.

I must admit I had concerns about this loan the minute they signed Balogun; predictably, 'Boro fans started salivating over this great prospect from the mighty Arsenal, and wondering why they needed a kid from Brighton who had been having a lean spell in front of goal lately.. Doubled the difficuty for him overnight.

Really hope he starts banging them in soon.
How long is his Brighton contract ?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
No idea, sorry - but I think he got a nice shiny new one fairly soon after that Tottenham match, so I'd guess there would be a year or two left.

He got it 9 months after the Spurs game ...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports