Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Connolly - joining Hull permanently

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Indeed.

I hope he hasn't singed for Liam because he thinks he's Irish, though....

My best wishes to him and I expect to see a blossoming.
Interestingly - Rosenior has a relationship with the FAI - he was approached about getting involved with the Irish underage set-up when he working with the Brighton U-23s. Since then he has had contact with both the FAI and the IFA over coaching education. Rumour is he is on the short-list with Lee Carsley to replace Kenny when he gets sacked (I doubt he would take the job because he will get a lot of attention from PL clubs in the next couple of years).

On the club side - there is an Irish kid at Hull who I think will make a much bigger impact this season than Connolly - Harry Vaughan.

By the way - here is a good one for you - by the time Harry Kane goes to Bayern (assuming he does this summer) - the top five most expensive English footballers of all time - Bellingham, Rice, Grealish, Maguire and Kane - all hold Irish passports.

Last edited:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I see it is a one year deal. Just what he needs as he will have to prove himself. His long contract was the ruin of him here same as long contract Knockhaert got at Fulham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Interestingly - Rosenior has a relationship with the FAI - he was approached about getting involved with the Irish underage set-up when he working with the Brighton U-23s. Since then he has had contact with both the FAI and the IFA over coaching education. Rumour is he is on the short-list with Lee Carsley to replace Kenny when he gets sacked (I doubt he would take the job because he will get a lot of attention from PL clubs in the next couple of years).

On the club side - there is an Irish kid at Hull who I think will make a much bigger impact this season than Connolly - Harry Vaughan.
Interesting. I was mucking about over the name 'Liam' of course, but perhaps he has Irish heritage, so I shall get my coat wrt that.

Interesting (Vaughan). I love the Championship and like to see players flower and kick on.

Love your insights. :thumbsup:

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Interesting. I was mucking about over the name 'Liam' of course, but perhaps he has Irish heritage, so I shall get my coat wrt that.

Interesting (Vaughan). I love the Championship and like to see players flower and kick on.

Love your insights. :thumbsup:
Don't think Liam has any Irish connections - his dad played for Sierra Leone - and his mother's side were from Yorkshire I think (remember seeing the name Mills).

I think that Liam Rosenior is going to make a big impact as a manager (I think he was the real brains behind Derby when Rooney was put in charge). Worth noting that he names Chris Hughton as a key inspiration that led him down the road of management.

As for Championship players - Brighton should spent £20million on Andrew Omobamidele - he is still only 21 (and lost a year of development to injury) but the type of defender he is would make him ideal for Brighton's style of play. AC Milan and Crystal Palace are reported to be after him. At 20 years old he was Norwich's captain. He reminds me of Paul McGrath - he has got great vision and sees situations developing faster than other players on the pitch - and I think that 2-3 years of top level football will make him outstanding. Another very mature kid, cool, level headed and hard working.

This is a documentary about him - and shows what he is about - it really is worth the watch

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Don't think Liam has any Irish connections - his dad played for Sierra Leone - and his mother's side were from Yorkshire I think (remember seeing the name Mills).

I think that Liam Rosenior is going to make a big impact as a manager (I think he was the real brains behind Derby when Rooney was put in charge). Worth noting that he names Chris Hughton as a key inspiration that led him down the road of management.

As for Championship players - Brighton should spent £20million on Andrew Omobamidele - he is still only 21 (and lost a year of development to injury) but the type of defender he is would make him ideal for Brighton's style of play. AC Milan and Crystal Palace are reported to be after him. At 20 years old he was Norwich's captain. He reminds me of Paul McGrath - he has got great vision and sees situations developing faster than other players on the pitch - and I think that 2-3 years of top level football will make him outstanding. Another very mature kid, cool, level headed and hard working.

This is a documentary about him - and shows what he is about - it really is worth the watch

I’d definitely take Omobamidele. Top player.

Randomly, I spent a few nights in Leixlip two weeks ago. It was the closest place to where I was working, that I could get a hotel for less than a million euros.

Tiny place - did well to produce Omobamidele AND Nathan Collins. Must be a little artisan centre back workshop in someone’s back garden.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't know how to post the Tweet, but Aaron posted a gracious goodbye. More gracious than some of our fans deserve. I wish him well and hope he gets his career back on track with Liam and Hull.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
By the way - here is a good one for you - by the time Harry Kane goes to Bayern (assuming he does this summer) - the top five most expensive English footballers of all time - Bellingham, Rice, Grealish, Maguire and Kane - all hold Irish passports.
If these players do indeed have Irish passports, my guess is it’s for the same reason Farage’s family have EU passports which is nothing to do with caring about heritage and all to do with being able to take advantage of the astonishing benefits one gives an Englishman now.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Good luck to him. Easy to forget what it’s like to be young. Hopefully he settles down somewhere and gets a new home from home. Quite an extreme to go from Venice to Hull. He can say he’s seen it all.

Must be really bewildering to have the hype, little to no family and friends close by and the people that are around you all have an agenda one way or another, like with Dele.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
If these players do indeed have Irish passports, my guess is it’s for the same reason Farage’s family have EU passports which is nothing to do with caring about heritage and all to do with being able to take advantage of the astonishing benefits one gives an Englishman now.
I'm sure that's the case for some of them, but Grealish famously played for Ireland up to and including U21 level, and was the subject of a bit of a tussle between the Irish and English FAs when it came to his first senior call-up.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Now confirmed by the club and Aaron has left a nice goodbye message on his Instagram.

It's a lovely message.

I'd be amazed if he wrote it himself. Did he make that video too?

Anyway, good luck to him. There is a professional footballer in there somewhere.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Good Luck to him, he should have learned a lot about himself and where his head needs to be at to succeed, I hope he has and does. I will remember the two against Spurs, and also the nearly goal away at Newcastle I think, hooked off the line. He has got the ability.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It’s been reported as £1.2M plus a 20% sell on, which is strange considering it’s a 1 year deal.
That is odd.

This all seems a bit ‘last chance’ for Connolly. He must have a good season or it’s down another league or two for him. I do believe Rosenior will fix him though, he is a deeply impressive and inspiring person.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Isn't there some rule that to play for any country you have to hold a valid passport for that country even if you aren't born there? I know Tariq Lampety got a Ghanaian passport before he made the switch.

I'm sure that's the case for some of them, but Grealish famously played for Ireland up to and including U21 level, and was the subject of a bit of a tussle between the Irish and English FAs when it came to his first senior call-up.

Same applies to Declan Rice who actually made 3 senior appearances for Republic of Ireland before switching to England. He spent about 6 months deciding what to do and while he was considering it all Martin O'Neill and then Mick McCarthy couldn't pick him in any ROI squads.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Thanks!

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
It’s been reported as £1.2M plus a 20% sell on, which is strange considering it’s a 1 year deal.

Doesn't seem so strange really.

They would be mad to offer him a long contract, it would literally be the same mistake we made.

But at the same time, £1.2m could be a steal if he ends up scoring 15+ goals.

Best case scenario for us, is that he turns it around and has a good season and they tie him down on a longer contract, then we get a piece of the pie when he becomes the £5m+ player that he has the potential to be.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Good luck to him. I really hope he can sort his head out and actually focus on making the most of his career, as he clearly has talent. Such a shame he has pretty much wasted it until now. Aaron couldn't have a better mentor than Liam so the opportunity to make something of himself is definitely there.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Doesn't seem so strange really.

They would be mad to offer him a long contract, it would literally be the same mistake we made.

But at the same time, £1.2m could be a steal if he ends up scoring 15+ goals.

Best case scenario for us, is that he turns it around and has a good season and they tie him down on a longer contract, then we get a piece of the pie when he becomes the £5m+ player that he has the potential to be.
Agree, I meant more strange on the 20% sell on, if the contract is only 1 year

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Good Luck to him, he should have learned a lot about himself and where his head needs to be at to succeed, I hope he has and does. I will remember the two against Spurs, and also the nearly goal away at Newcastle I think, hooked off the line. He has got the ability.
He scored at Newcastle

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here