Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] AA membership renewal - anything cheaper out there?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
When any renewal comes up I tend to ring the organisation up and try and get a better price …did this last year with RAC ….or if they cant offer a better price i would have gone to the AA via a CASHBACK website …i use TOPCASHBACK for a lot of insurance purchases (and other internet buys)….i see RAC via that site are offering UP TO 60% cash back (offer expires in 4 hours)..…other CASHBACK sites are available

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Dear hive mind,

Before I send Mrs T on a price comparison safari....

"You have been with us a number of years. You may be able to get the breakdown cover you want at a better price if you shop around."

Are they taking the piss or what? Do they crank up the price more if you're a loyal customer? Or just getting old?

Last year the amount was the same but was discounted £75. That has now been removed. Is this because I'll be 65 shortly?

Roadside Assistance
£127.83​
National Recovery
£120.17​
At Home
£114.77​
Onward Travel
£0.00​
Total renewal cost:
£362.77
Try Axa, my renewal this week was surprisingly exactly the same as last year at £75 for everything you are covered for Plus European cover.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If you don't want to be ripped off get quotes for every type of insurance every renewal. Most lines of insurance go in pricing cycles over a number of years, so don't assume that because it hasn't gone up much you are getting a good deal. The comparison sites are good at keeping all the details once you've put them in. And breakdown cover is often far cheaper if taken as an optional extra on your car insurance.

You have not been charged for this information :thumbsup:

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Dear hive mind,

"You have been with us a number of years. You may be able to get the breakdown cover you want at a better price if you shop around."

Are they taking the piss or what? Do they crank up the price more if you're a loyal customer? Or just getting old?

Last year the amount was the same but was discounted £75. That has now been removed. Is this because I'll be 65 shortly?

Roadside Assistance
£127.83​
National Recovery
£120.17​
At Home
£114.77​
Onward Travel
£0.00​
Total renewal cost:
£362.77
My yearly subscription for 3 cars with a similar level of cover was £288 last November.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Dear hive mind,

Roadside Assistance
£127.83​
National Recovery
£120.17​
At Home
£114.77​
Onward Travel
£0.00​
Total renewal cost:
£362.77
Do you have Tesco Clubcard vouchers?

We used vouchers to purchase our RAC membership last couple of years. You get 3 x the value of the vouchers towards cost of membership.

And there's a 50% off special offer at the moment if the cover works for you ...

"FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY!

Use your RAC code and buy breakdown cover before 7am on the 31st January to get 50% off vehicle or personal breakdown cover.*

*Single vehicle & single personal Standard and Complete cover. Ends 31/01/23, 7am"

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I was with AA for twenty years before I had no more urine to give ....
So about 2 years ago we switched to Auto Aid - no breakdowns since - so they are clearly very good ....

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Dear hive mind,

Roadside Assistance
£127.83​
National Recovery
£120.17​
At Home
£114.77​
Onward Travel
£0.00​
Total renewal cost:
£362.77
what a rip off, outrageous piss taking!

Last year i did it via moneysupermarket, got it with Britannia Rescue (5 star rated) and part of LV (who my car insurance is with). Everything yours has plus full european breakdown and personal for any motor Im driving, to add Mrs on personal was about another £20ish. Has a £40 excess, but thats ok if I need it. £63 or almost £300 cheaper than your rip off.

Personal Cover: Yes
Premium Details Nationwide with Home Start, Recovery & European Assistance
Cost: £50.10
Personal Cover Cost: £13.00
Total Amount Paid: (includes Insurance Premium Tax) £63.10
Excess: Payable each time you break down £40.00

go through price comparison site like moneysupermarket rather than direct.

Good luck HWT

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
I’ve just gone back to the AA as they gave me a great quote of £144 to cover the four of us in our family, wherever in the UK we are and in anyone’s car, including home start. I rate them very highly but I know that at renewal they will hike the price right up. I normally then leave for a competitor as £350-£400 is too steep. We just keep going through this cycle which is annoying as I’d rather stay with them. I’ll try haggling next time, a bit like coming to the end of your sky contract I guess.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I've got the Nationwide Flexplus bank account (£13 month) which gives me full AA breakdown cover home or away including Europe.
At the time I even got £200 to move my money over as well!

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007

I keep forgetting that these people cheat you. I was blithely paying £1100 home insurance more than 10 years ago and realized something was up when they tried to up it another £200. I must have saved more than £6000 in the ensuing years. Initially via.....the AA.

I find all this stuff incredibly stressful. I can't imaging how people with even softer heads than mine are being soaked. 😒
Buy a brand new Mercedes, it will come with breakdown cover. Anyone dumb enough to have been paying £1,100 for home insurance more than10 years ago must have money to burn.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Another vote for Start. Got to us within the hour and nice. I got fed up with ringing the AA every year to get a decent price but Start were cheaper than their best price.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here