Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A272

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I don't really care how pretty the roads are,the A272, A303, A27, A259, A30 and A35 are all a pain in the arse.
Travelling east to west and vice versa in southern England is shocking.
I would rather drive past eyesores if it meant I can travel at a constant reasonable speed and get to my destination in a reasonable time.
When I make that journey now I usually do it at night especially in the summer.
Dover to Exeter should have been made a motorway decades ago.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
And before someone says M20, M26, M25, M4 & M5 I am talking about the A roads in the Deep South becoming motorway.
I know it's tricky and it means ripping up some nice countryside but the A roads cannot cope with the traffic and dangerous also traffic including trucks going through the towns and villages.
Time to put a motorway right through.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Obviously you don't have to drive regularly along it! Yes a lovely country road it may be, but all too often for much of the day, a lot of it is clogged up with traffic.
I don't drive ,I just love the occasional trip down it . Yes i understand if your around it all the time .It's a bit like the old buses in Malta ,great as a tourist a pain in the arse as a commuter.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
As i came eastbound from Buck Barn at 5:15 last night, the mobile home had just been loaded onto a recovery truck looking like it had rolled 3-4 times, there were 2 people standing on the verge on the westbound carriageway with their belongings and by the side of them a microlight aircraft minus its wings, i assumed the microlite had collided with the mobile home.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Dover to Exeter should have been made a motorway decades ago.
''That was the plan Folkestone to Honiton. Houses were compulsory purchased and the start of the Arun bridge approach road was started (Crossbush) but the government changed and the plan was put on hold. By the time the Tory government had got back in_the increased plan and cost was no longer viable so the plans were scrapped.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Obviously you don't have to drive regularly along it! Yes a lovely country road it may be, but all too often for much of the day, a lot of it is clogged up with traffic.

Cowfold could do with a bypass, ideally starting before the Oakendene Industrial Estate and stretching to eliminate the Camellia Botnar nursery crossroads, i.e. perhaps coming out after the old Little Chef. In fact, the whole bit between Buck Barn and Cuckfield could do with improving. I think there is a plan to divert it down the A23 and A2300 to Burgess Hill, but that will mean improving Isaac's Lane.

We sometimes use it going west when the A27 looks a nightmare. Interesting drive.

If coming from the M27, the A3 and A272 make a very pleasant alternative route.

I was just about to grumble about it's A road status as it would be a cracking cyclists road.
The little 'needs must' sections I ride are always good rolling roads, wherever I happen to be..

Apart from Buck Barn to Cuckfield, it must be pretty okay anyway, isn't it? Another route that must be cracking for cycling is the B2139 from Coolham to Storrington. It's almost completely straight, apart from the last section, and there is very little traffic on it, even during the rush hour.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Apart from Buck Barn to Cuckfield, it must be pretty okay anyway, isn't it? Another route that must be cracking for cycling is the B2139 from Coolham to Storrington. It's almost completely straight, apart from the last section, and there is very little traffic on it, even during the rush hour.
Yeah in the grand scheme of things it's pretty good, but with all the great B roads north and south I think it should only be used as a 'needs must'. It's not fair on the cars & lorries.
The section from Petworth to Midhurst is a particular favourite.

I've only ridden the Coolham road a couple of times (if that) as I/we tend to either go through Storrington or loop round it.

The B2133, Ashington to Wisborough Green is a firm favourite 'normal' road for me and probably [MENTION=22214]banjo[/MENTION] too.
From W/Green there are so many quiet road looping options all the way up Guildford Dortking and the Surrey hills.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here