Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A24 Accident

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Punishments are to weak in this country.

Now you see, here's the thing. People want outcomes to be stiffer on these matters, until the time comes when it involves them. Then they don't. In the same way that people complain regularly about speeding motorists in the vicinity of their home environments, and demand a police presence or cameras. The same people then get caught speeding elsewhere and complain that it's not fair and unnecessary.

Anyway- fines for getting caught using a mobile phone, or failing to wear your seatbelt, or forgetting to get the car MOTd etc are all going up from £60 to a hundred quid apiece from the end of this week. So, if you're going to do it, make sure it's before Friday :thumbsup:

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Anyway- fines for getting caught using a mobile phone, or failing to wear your seatbelt, or forgetting to get the car MOTd etc are all going up from £60 to a hundred quid apiece from the end of this week. So, if you're going to do it, make sure it's before Friday :thumbsup:

Can't see a £40 increase being much of a deterrent. It should be a straight up ban for anyone using a mobile phone in my opinion. It may seem harsh, but would send a serious message out. Not sure on the figures and purely guessing here, but would imagine the death rate from mobile phone distractions must be fairly similar to drink driving related deaths? (If not higher)

Can't see a £40 increase being much of a deterrent. It should be a straight up ban for anyone using a mobile phone in my opinion. It may seem harsh, but would send a serious message out. Not sure on the figures and purely guessing here, but would imagine the death rate from mobile phone distractions must be fairly similar to drink driving related deaths? (If not higher)

Spot on, 1 year ban and car confiscated

helipilot

Jan 20, 2010
Hi Edna, maybe not the best thread to ask this question but I was wondering on your views on the difference between someone holding a mobile in their hand whilst making a call compared to someone using a handsfree but changing gear, or adjusting the volume etc. Both require you to listen, talk and only have one hand on the wheel. I am a military helicopter pilot and am frequently flying low level and doing other things with my hands rather than keeping both on the controls, things that need to be done such as changing radio frequencies, updating routes etc and this is expected.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Hi Edna, maybe not the best thread to ask this question but I was wondering on your views on the difference between someone holding a mobile in their hand whilst making a call compared to someone using a handsfree but changing gear, or adjusting the volume etc. Both require you to listen, talk and only have one hand on the wheel. I am a military helicopter pilot and am frequently flying low level and doing other things with my hands rather than keeping both on the controls, things that need to be done such as changing radio frequencies, updating routes etc and this is expected.

Dont get many pedestrians stepping out in front of you, or someone in front braking sharply though:smile:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I don't use my mobile whilst driving. It's too difficult to heavy breathe and ask what women are wearing whilst driving with my kecks round my ankles.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Isn't the difference the fact you are highly trained to do those things, a normal everyday motorist isn't.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
It annoys me just how often you see punters speeding through road works, even when there are average speed cameras supposedly in use. Worse still compounded by punters tailgating or not concentrating and drifting across adjoining lanes. Ok you often see miles of road works with little or no work actually taking place which no doubt tempts punters into putting their foot down, but you can't be certain there isn't activity just around the next curve.

But at least on motorways workers often get the benefit of temporary barriers to protect them however on A and B roads it is often just a few warning signs, some cones, hi-vis clothing and a service vehicle fending off the traffic at the start of the restriction. It only takes a brief loss of concentration from a passing punter and the poor worker is toast.

Maybe we should follow the example of other countries where conspicuous signs state that speeding through road works 'when workers are present' attract double punishments. It won't cure the problem but might focus a few more minds. However I suspect there will always be those ignorant / arrogant drivers who don't care, it's the world we live in.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Dont get many pedestrians stepping out in front of you, or someone in front braking sharply though:smile:

No, very true, but at low-level, hills, trees, pylons and other fixed objects come into play, sometimes quite quickly. The most dangerous is cumulo-granite, as pilots refer to ground of a mountainous nature [found in the air] ....

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Thee was a silly bint in an amg merc on the a23 this morning in the outside lane doing 40 mph...people were undertaking her and as I got behind her, I dived into the inside lane and the maniac was TEXTING on her phone using both hands...I kid you not...she must have been steering with her knees! There was no-one in front of her for about a mile.

It was so dangerous you just wanted a cop to be there!!!!! Edna?

Did you take the reg? if so you report it here as anti social driving
http://www.operationcrackdown.org/

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
He was too busy undertaking her to get out his smart phone to go to that website

Yes , me and the 200 other cars, trucks , busses etc that did the same.

No GF...all I remember was it was a black AMG Merc driven by an elderly woman.

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing

???

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
View attachment 46034View attachment 46037

Yep, it happenes right infront of me it was due to the work being carried out despite the warnings

It was BECAUSE of the warnings more likely...as per your photo the signage indicated the outside lane was blocked off but at 10am the huge yellow arrow lorry was stationary in the inside lane causing everyone who rounded the bend at 50/60 mpg, having all moved to the inside lane to have to swerve into the outside lane with 100 yards notice.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It was BECAUSE of the warnings more likely...as per your photo the signage indicated the outside lane was blocked off but at 10am the huge yellow arrow lorry was stationary in the inside lane causing everyone who rounded the bend at 50/60 mpg, having all moved to the inside lane to have to swerve into the outside lane with 100 yards notice.

With all due respect, chaps, unless you directly witnessed it, I would suggest you don't know what you're talking about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here