A23 tomorrow morning

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

D

Deleted member 22389

sod that im using the balcombe road for the next 2 years

Are you talking about the road widening at Handcross. They don't appear to have done anything apart from remove the trees. Its been on for about 6 months now.

D

Deleted member 22389

I drove up to Gatwick earlier and there are a load of cones out. Roadworks until August 2014. Sigh

This is what makes me laugh in this country. August 2014. I think the French built their high speed line from the Channel Tunnel to Paris in this time.

gully07

Sep 26, 2010
hassocks
i have to drive to crawley daily and went down 23 from hickstead saturday morning at 5am and had to detour through cowfold mannings heath and handcross due to the night closures that are operating from june 28th til 3rd july not going to make that mistake again think it reopens from 6am not sure though

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Is the road still closed from 10 - 4 or has it changed ?

Full carriageway closures:

The A23 will be closed overnight between M23 junction 11 Pease Pottage and A23/A272 Bolney junction as follows:

Thursday 28 June 2012 The southbound carriageway will be closed
Friday 29 June 2012 The northbound and southbound carriageways will be closed
Saturday 30 June The northbound and southbound carriageways will be closed
Sunday 1 July The southbound carriageway will be closed
Monday 2 July The northbound and southbound carriageways will be closed
Tuesday 3 July The northbound carriageway will be closed
Closures are scheduled to take place between 2000 hrs on the dates stated and 0600 hrs the following morning. The actual closure time will be determined by monitoring the traffic flows to ensure these have reduced to an appropriate level.

Lane closures only:

Overnight lane closures are scheduled to take place between 2000 hrs and 0600 hrs as follows:

Monday 25 June to Friday 29 June 2012 - there will be northbound and southbound lane 1 or lane 2 closures.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
40 mph speed limits start tomorrow cameras up both sides now going to be a frigging nightmare

I used it yesterday and the 40 mph limit has started and the cameras are up and running. They are average speed cameras too .so keep your speed constant people.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Will be interesting once it settles down. During the morning rush hour I rarely get above 40 anyway and if it stops the stop / start nonsense that happens going northbound then it might actually be better. Alternatively I am trying to be supremely optimistic about my journey to work and it will be horrible for the next two and half years.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The speed limit might actually smooth your journeys, seeing as most of the delays on Handcross Hill are caused by people driving too fast, and up the arse of the car in front, meaning they have to brake every 20 yards, and causing a chain reaction from every other vehicle in the queue.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I've been using the balcome road rather than the A23 for the last two years as it's about 4 miles shorter and roughly the same journey time to Haywards or Burgess, so this is going to cock me right up as everyone else will now do the same thing :nono:

I came back from gatwick at about 22:45 on saturday night and it was proper busy, cuckfield was gridlocked with all the traffic trying to squeeze through that gap where the parked cars only allow one direction to go at once.

That said, handcross hill needs to be done. I just accept that for the next two years this is a big shit sandwich - and we're all gonna have to take a bite!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
This is what makes me laugh in this country. August 2014. I think the French built their high speed line from the Channel Tunnel to Paris in this time.

Compared to the 6 months plus it took to put a bike lane on the Old Shoreham Road (and ruin it in the process), 2 years for this project is fast as lightning!

D

Deleted member 18477

The speed limit might actually smooth your journeys, seeing as most of the delays on Handcross Hill are caused by people driving too fast, and up the arse of the car in front, meaning they have to brake every 20 yards, and causing a chain reaction from every other vehicle in the queue.

This!

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada

This. Plus whenever you head Northbound, there's always someone going 40-50mph in the fast lane going up the hill anyway, so the 40mph speed limit won't be as bad as people might think.

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
Arrived in Creepy Crawley from brighton about 10 minutes ago, and albeit a touch slower than normal, it flowed quite well. However it is catching some people out as you are going up towards warninglid turn off. 3 in to 2 earlier and they are still trying to fly by in the fast lane and then a massive show of brake lights. There will be some accidents there i bet.

anyway all was well then, safe travels people. :)

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Arrived in Creepy Crawley from brighton about 10 minutes ago, and albeit a touch slower than normal, it flowed quite well. However it is catching some people out as you are going up towards warninglid turn off. 3 in to 2 earlier and they are still trying to fly by in the fast lane and then a massive show of brake lights. There will be some accidents there i bet.

Much the same, the journey only took 5mins longer than normal, but as I left 15mins earlier I have arrived 10 mins earlier than I normally would.....

I have no idea why people are being caught out, the signs start 3miles from the roadworks!!! Just trying to get those last few yards of 80mph! Hopefully after a week or so everyone will know what is happening and it will all sort itself out.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

There was a thread about filtering in a while ago and most people seemed to say that whacking down the fast lane to the front of the queue, slamming on your breaks and cutting in front of the poor bugger who's being nice and kind and polite by joining the line a mile or so back was perfectly all right, not to say highly desirable. In fact, people who join queues on roads (as against queues in post offices presumably) were seen as pathetic wimps.

There is sometimes a good case for the authorities putting up "filter in turn' signs where two lanes are filtering into one but in the absence of this, and certainly where it's three lanes into two, the quickest and most civilised way is for everyone to join the queue at the back, filtering naturally at that point and then proceeding in the order they arrived. It's what you tell your children to do at an ice cream van.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Are you talking about the road widening at Handcross. They don't appear to have done anything apart from remove the trees. Its been on for about 6 months now.

Is it just me, or did the removal of the trees make that stretch of road - especially southbound - feel a lot safer already? Part of the problem was surely that section with the downhill curve and very little view ahead thanks to the trees.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Is it just me, or did the removal of the trees make that stretch of road - especially southbound - feel a lot safer already? Part of the problem was surely that section with the downhill curve and very little view ahead thanks to the trees.

The problem, as always, was and is individuals driving too fast and too close to the vehicle in front.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports