Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A word on Brighton's "Budget"

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Utter gash from the OP. No one has a clue what our budget Is except TB. I can guarantee he hasn't bought a stadium for 128m to let is languish in the lower leagues. Our squad should have got auto promotion this season. We are 3 players short.
I haven't said I know what the budget is. What i said was Poyet kept bleating on about the budget, and I am saying whilst it may not be the highest budget, there are plenty of clubs with a higher budget, but far less money to spend on players. And I agree, with the squad we have, we should have done better this season. Although not sure how you can say we should have got automatic promotion, but we are 3 players short, unless of course you are including the loanees???

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Just saying exactly what the Brighton FD said to me in a presentation.

Financial Fair Play in the Championship will see the introduction of a breakeven model based on UEFA Financial Fair Play Regulations. It will require clubs to stay within pre-defined limits on losses and shareholder equity investment that will reduce significantly over the next five seasons.

The SCMP broadly limits spending on total player wages to a proportion of each club's turnover, with clubs providing budgetary information to The League at the beginning of the season that is updated as the campaign progresses

http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/FLExplainedDetail/0,,10794~2748246,00.html

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
Feel free to shoot me down, I can take it

But I keep reading on here about our budget or lack of it. Budget is a very misleading term in this case.

Our budget may be mid tableish in the division. Our spending power is not.

Wolves, Birmingham, Blackburn, Bolton, Blackpool all have huge budgets compared to us, backed by parachute payments. It hasn't done them much good has it?

Any decent premiership class player that gets relegated, will move to another premiership team, leaving the average players behind in the championship on their premiership wages. These players demand huge wages which is why those teams that come down, in general struggle to sign players. West Ham went for broke and got lucky. Others have struggled. Look at Birmingham, Zigic is still on a contract worth north of 50k a week. O'Hara at Wolves rumoured to be on 30k a week.
O
As I say, shoot me down if you want, but our top earner is on around 12k. Last season we had a CMS, Vicente, Bridcutt, Kuscaczak and still had a lot of change out of what Birmingham pay Zigic.

So whilst out "budget" is far less than those, our spending power isn't.

I expect Wigan, Reading and QPR to struggle next season as well.

So please stop attacking/defending Bloom, Barber, or Poyet on size of budget. Its a very misleading phrase.

You remind me of meg Griffin from Family Guy except you're a JCL.

So, shut up JCL!

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
From now on it's all about the Financial Fair Play regulations which is why the budget has been tightly controlled. Gus appeared not to agree with working within these parameters. A lot of clubs who don't adhere are going to come unstuck in the next couple of years.

And this ladies and gentlemen is the correct answer

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
And with our gates being 2000 higher than anyone in the division (they three down and three up are hardly going to challenge that fact) and with new sponsorship deals starting, I would suggest with FFP we should have one of the most competetive budgets in the championship. I generally cannot wait for next season to start.

2000 extra on the gate don't mean that much even with FFP as whilst it helps its EXPENDITURE that is important. Pay players too much in wages and then have them not perform is the double whammy of failure. TB bringing Paul Barber in shows that running the Amex needs someone who cam control budgets and bring in ADDITIONAL income, PB won't have come cheap (look at his CV) and for the Amex to be reducing expenditure so soon after opening and with increased gates shows that something needed to change even allowing for FFP

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
I'm not sure I understand the aggressive responses to the initial post. Surely all the OP was trying to point out is that teams that have a bigger wage budget than us are not necessarily in a better position than us. In particular teams relegated from the Premier League might be stuck with crap highly paid players whose wages take up a large proportion of their higher budget. Seems like a reasonable observation.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Can we actually build and run a promotion winning team on gate receipts and other commercially generated income alone, or do we need to be subsidised by a rich owner?

Bloom may be rich but he can't afford everything.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Exactly the subject I was discussing with a current Reading coach over a couple of bottles of red last night OP, don't let the moaners get you down.

Yes 'made up / guessed' figures aren't going to be spot on but the gist is correct and roughly portray the point. If OP hadn't put figures in people would moan they can't understand the point trying to be made.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Are some getting confused with budget and wage structure? For me, the understanding is that budget is the total amount that is available to spend on players over the year which incorporates both wages, transfer fees, agents fees and signing on fees. However just because you might save on a fee by signing out of contract players that doesn't mean you are going to spunk what could have been a fee as wages as that will upset the applecart!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Bottom line = Gus needs to stop moaning about budget. Actually, too late you egotistical big-mouthed idiot.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
You remind me of meg Griffin from Family Guy except you're a JCL.

So, shut up JCL!
:facepalm:

JCL!! If your best Albion experiences are the Play-Off Final and Beating Man City, then its highly likely I was watching the Albion before you were an itch in your daddys pants! :thumbsup:

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
I'm not sure I understand the aggressive responses to the initial post. Surely all the OP was trying to point out is that teams that have a bigger wage budget than us are not necessarily in a better position than us. In particular teams relegated from the Premier League might be stuck with crap highly paid players whose wages take up a large proportion of their higher budget. Seems like a reasonable observation.

Exactly the subject I was discussing with a current Reading coach over a couple of bottles of red last night OP, don't let the moaners get you down.

Yes 'made up / guessed' figures aren't going to be spot on but the gist is correct and roughly portray the point. If OP hadn't put figures in people would moan they can't understand the point trying to be made.

Glad someone can see through the smoke screen. The word budget is misleading in the way Gus has tried to use it.

Oh, and the moaners don't get me down. I find them quite amusing in a sad sort of way :lol:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Doesn't the board decide on the budget ? They have all the figures and projections and tell the manager what the playing budget is for the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here