Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

a well needed dent to the gus ego........

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
......after talking last week about being a premiership manager like it is set in stone or something.

also dunk and bridders will have been scrapped from anyones wish list.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You almost sound delighted we lost.

Have to say I'm happy that the hype in the media about Gus will be put on hold whilst not being totally gutted that we lost, just a bit upset about the scoreline. We all know that the team playing yesterday is not our 1st choice team and that was a one off.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I have to say that the reason why we lost do heavily was Gus' fault as he made a massive mistake in taking off Buckley.

Everytime we got the ball to Will he had two or three players marking him. This allowed Kaz on the other wing to run into the space left from the centre midfielders like Adam and Gerrard.

When Buckley was taken off, you could see after 5 minutes that it was a mistake as Liverpool were able to free up Charlie Adam who became more influential in the second half and this is why we barely had a shot on goal.

So, it's ok blaming the defence as many are doing but the threat- or complete lack of it- was nullified in the second half when one of our best players was replaced, regardless of the how he played in the first half.

Sent from my iPhone using the power of Greyskull

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I have to say that the reason why we lost do heavily was Gus' fault as he made a massive mistake in taking off Buckley.

Everytime we got the ball to Will he had two or three players marking him. This allowed Kaz on the other wing to run into the space left from the centre midfielders like Adam and Gerrard.

When Buckley was taken off, you could see after 5 minutes that it was a mistake as Liverpool were able to free up Charlie Adam who became more influential in the second half and this is why we barely had a shot on goal.

So, it's ok blaming the defence as many are doing but the threat- or complete lack of it- was nullified in the second half when one of our best players was replaced, regardless of the how he played in the first half.

I agree with this, maybe the only initial change should've been CMS for Barnes?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

Assume he was injured (tightened hamstring), so Gus had no choice.

The mistake was taking El-Abd off...

I agree with this, maybe the only initial change should've been CMS for Barnes?

Gus NEVER takes off Barnes.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
......after talking last week about being a premiership manager like it is set in stone or something.

also dunk and bridders will have been scrapped from anyones wish list.

What a strange post ! Firstly of course Gus aspires to manage in the Premiership - he's played at the highest level so clearly his target is to manage there as well. Most people aspire to get to the highest point in their career they can - nothing to do with an ego, more to do with bettering ones self. I don't blame Bridcutt for either of his two own goals - the threat should have been dealt with by the defence and keeper long before Liam managed to knock it in the back of the net.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
I think I know what you mean. We got a reality check. Obvs, the score line wasn't great but we were almost certainly going to lose against a very strong Liverpool team.

I doubt you're pleased at the result (as someone suggested) but it will be a great character builder for the squad and Gus.

A bit of humble pie for those "fairweather fans" that seem so confident all the time. Didn't see much facebook banter from one individual last night.

Chill out, we've had a great season. :guitar:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Gus is making a lot of mistakes as a manager and thats because he is still learning and thats why he is a long way from being a top manager. He is serving his apprenticeship, he is gambling and tinkering a lot with selections and formations. He is an emotional, ' seat of the pants ' type not your Coppell / McDermott type..ie quiet and complative. He cocked up Tuesday night and he is cocking up showing too much loyalty to players patently not good enough ( Barnes and Brezovan )
But a dent to the ego is the wrong expression. Gus is confident and ambitious and we have to have patience as he cuts his teeth with us. Yes, there will be lots of mistakes but it will be fun while it lasts.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Assume he was injured (tightened hamstring), so Gus had no choice.

The mistake was taking El-Abd off...

Gus NEVER takes off Barnes.

Gus said post match that Buckley change was 'purely tactical' but obviously that could mean he is injured just didn't want to alert Hull!

D

Deleted member 18477

Seeing as half our team is still league 1 at best who gives a shit! Christ can't people stop slagging their own team off after a defeat to one of the best and most followed teams in the world!

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
It was a cathartic learning experience for us all yesterday:

- for Gus. Despite what he is saying about having stated we werent good enough to go up, the manner of the individual errors and also his tactical naivety yesterday will have hurt him

- for the fans. I think we all got a bit carried away about how we play. Dont get me wrong, this has been a fantastic season and when is the last time we played 4 competitive matches against top division opposition in the same season? and had an average crowd of 20k? It's got to be 1980ish when both happened.

- The players. I get the feeling that some of them were a bit starstruck yesterday (noone maybe). I dont want self-flagellation but some of them should be more down about the day than they seem to be.

However the pundits were quite right to point out our one paced approach and that is where the players have to learn how to react in 1 on 1 situations. When to inject pace etc

In terms of specifics. I think we look a stronger defensive unit with el abd in the side. Millwall showed that and I would rest Dunk for now and play a back 4 of reyes, greer, el abd and mattock.

Brezovan has had a good spell but against Millwall and yesterday he looked very flappy. Can he recover? yes he can in my view - I dont think we have an option given that Gonzalez hasnt even been on the bench yet.

The holding midfield two have had a good run but the return on Sparrow and the two new Man C players will I think mean a rest for either/both of them.

If Buckley sub was tactical then it was a poor decision given the number of players he was tying up. But I think it is more likely to be the hamstring.

Barnes and Vokes against Millwall looked to be developing a good understanding. But is CMS really a supersub or does he deserve a place? I think unless we are going to put balls behind defenders (and Vicente is the man to do it) then he looks unlikely to regain a starting place.

I'm not trying to be defeatist and thisis allbeing written with 20/20 hindsight. I am so pleased at how we are performing generally BUT if we want to progress (and Bloom and Poyet certainly do) then yesterday is a pointer to what changes are likely to happen.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

- for Gus. Despite what he is saying about having stated we werent good enough to go up, the manner of the individual errors and also his tactical naivety yesterday will have hurt him

- for the fans. I think we all got a bit carried away about how we play. Dont get me wrong, this has been a fantastic season and when is the last time we played 4 competitive matches against top division opposition in the same season? and had an average crowd of 20k? It's got to be 1980ish when both happened.

- The players. I get the feeling that some of them were a bit starstruck yesterday (noone maybe). I dont want self-flagellation but some of them should be more down about the day than they seem to be.

However the pundits were quite right to point out our one paced approach and that is where the players have to learn how to react in 1 on 1 situations. When to inject pace etc

In terms of specifics. I think we look a stronger defensive unit with el abd in the side. Millwall showed that and I would rest Dunk for now and play a back 4 of reyes, greer, el abd and mattock.

Brezovan has had a good spell but against Millwall and yesterday he looked very flappy. Can he recover? yes he can in my view - I dont think we have an option given that Gonzalez hasnt even been on the bench yet.

The holding midfield two have had a good run but the return on Sparrow and the two new Man C players will I think mean a rest for either/both of them.

If Buckley sub was tactical then it was a poor decision given the number of players he was tying up. But I think it is more likely to be the hamstring.

Barnes and Vokes against Millwall looked to be developing a good understanding. But is CMS really a supersub or does he deserve a place? I think unless we are going to put balls behind defenders (and Vicente is the man to do it) then he looks unlikely to regain a starting place.

I'm not trying to be defeatist and thisis allbeing written with 20/20 hindsight. I am so pleased at how we are performing generally BUT if we want to progress (and Bloom and Poyet certainly do) then yesterday is a pointer to what changes are likely to happen.

Good post, hard to argue with any of that

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
There are four,possibly five teams who are better than Liverpool,and Liverpool would have wiped the floor with two of those yesterday.

My wife doesn't watch much football,but we settled to ESPN for the game.I told her "He cost £35m,he cost £20m,he cost £15m,he cost £10m".

She asked what the Liverpool players had cost.She couldn't understand the manager's English.I explained that Dalglish is Scottish.

At the end she was pleased that we had scored 4 and they'd only got 3. Will you be going to the Stoke game again ?

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011

this, he said he would play his best team he lied,in the 2nd half Noone came on just so he can say he has played at anfield ,noone is not half the player that Buckley is and did not deserve to be on the pitch, 2 lads from city in the dressing room Gus has got sentimental

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Basically agree except for the Buckley substitution. He only tied up two or three Liverpool players when he was given the ball. Once they (easily) got it off him, they didn't need to worry. Creatively, he was a spent force in no time at all.

I'm not blaming Buckley - he was given very little support, but Liverpool did a number on him and it was highly effective.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here