Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A View From The Burnley End

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Why would Keane who is trying to get a bit of space pull Dunk by his arm 'towards' himself? It makes no sense.

The problem that all us football fans have with it, is that referee's aren't consistent with it.

I mean that one today is quite an extreme case because Dunk was nearly wearing Keane's shirt, but the pulling of shirts and grabbing happens at every corner in every game.

You come on our board and spout rational ideas like there is no tomorrow. Just stop it will you

Jan 10, 2014
You come on our board and spout rational ideas like there is no tomorrow. Just stop it will you

I think inconsistent refereeing, Sky and pundits/commentators have lolled us into a false sense of what a foul inside the box actually is.

Any where else on the pitch and it's given as a foul 100 times out of 100. Inside the box it's given 1 time out of a 100.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I thought the 4-4-2 was a failure for both sides. Each side had a winger underutilised. Burnley suffered more than Brighton. If any of the other clubs are more sophisticated tactically they would take small advantages. Not sure if any of the other clubs are?

Right near the end we made mistakes and a good side would have scored, or of it was Cairney or Lualua instead of Arfield. He hit the last shot with his left foot.

Unless either side improves we might meet in the play-offs. We have still got to play Boro (H) and Derby (A) so I still don't know how we stand?

I thought Mee and Jones were the best performers from Burnley but nothing special.

Still a bit underwhelmed by the Albion performance on Sunday. We can play better.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Why would Keane who is trying to get a bit of space pull Dunk by his arm 'towards' himself? It makes no sense.

The problem that all us football fans have with it, is that referee's aren't consistent with it.

I mean that one today is quite an extreme case because Dunk was nearly wearing Keane's shirt, but the pulling of shirts and grabbing happens at every corner in every game.

He was pulling Dunk away from the flight if the ball so that Dunk couldn't win the header to clear it.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Of course it wasn't a clear penalty. Do you really think both of the sky commentators would have said "that was a very tough decision for the ref" if it was? I can see why it was given but was a free kick to us IMHO.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Yes and you can also buy a centre back for £35,000 to keep a million pound Israeli international quiet. :wink:

There's a certain irony to that comment considering one of your players cost more than our entire 18 man squad yesterday.

Also, it was not a clear penalty. Whether you think it or not, Dunk was clearly having his arm pulled out of its socket by your player. It was 50/50 but Hooper is a terrible referee.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It was a penalty because the referee saw it, Dunk should have been more subtle in his shirt pulling.

I thought Burnley were the best side I've seen this season, both their full backs were excellent, Boyd may look like a hippy but he worked harder than I've ever seen him play before, They have a centre forward who was quiet at times, slippery as an eel at others, and somewhere in between most of the time, so it is fair to say we saw Fifty Shades of Grey.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
As Burnley fan I was grateful for the penalty, though I can only echo what others have said about 12 of those a game given. Worth noting that all the pulling which goes on prior to the corner kick being taken is allowed - the ball isn't in play so you can do that without being penalised. The minute it's kicked the same action will result in a foul. I only say that as a lot of the pulling and shoving occurs openly prior to the kick being taken.

Anyway, most here had predicted a draw, I was glad to see Long get some game time, Everton fans really rated him. Arfield spent the entire game cutting in from the left and using his right foot. A couple of times he got down the left flank and, guess what? That's right he turns back on his right thus giving the defence time to form up. Dyche's system involves getting him into space just outside the box so he can hit one (much like his goal versus Blackburn). No luck this time, though I seem to remember him having one chance which looked ok on the telly (until the replays showed that it was never on target).

Ironically his best chance saw him use his left foot as opposed to his right which I thought would be easier. Even if he had beaten Stockdale Bruno was on the line.

Anyway, neither manager wanted to lose. Dyche's mentality is about keeping the points ticking along. I genuinely sense Brighton will be there at the end of the season though.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It was a clear penalty but the thing is that there should be many given like that in every game every week.

I can see why you've drawn quite a few games lately and also why you are at the top. You remind me a bit of us in our promotion season (solid and well drilled) apart from you playing a more possession game and not having an Ings type up front.

We could and probably should have won it near the end, but we didn't and on the balance of play a draw was a fair result.

Bruno and Kayal were the best two Brighton players.

Not convinced it was a clear penalty or, perhaps more accurately, it could easily be given as a foul against Keane (who was engaging in more fouling at the point the ball was closest to the players).
Bruno and Kayal have probably been our best two players this season, too, although one or two others have done well too (Stephens, all our centre backs, Stockdale). All that indicates that our best players play in the back five or central midfield. Gray looked like your best player. We could do with a striker of that quality.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I thought it was one of the most evenly matched games I’ve seen in ages and 1-1 was about right in my opinion. I didn’t think it was a penalty, because Dunk was fouled first, but I can see why it was given as the Burnley lads shirt was up his back. I thought Burnley had a great chance at the end when their lad put it wide, but apart from that both teams really only had half chances. From a Brighton point of view 60% possession was great, and we bossed the midfield against side who were playing premier league football last year. Kayal was brilliant again. What I love about Stephens is he has such subtle game, in that he does a lot of work making vital tackles and making simple passes that go unnoticed but are crucial in getting our moves going. I thought the pair of them were fantastic yesterday.
Despite being happy with how we played, I thought Burnley were always a danger. I never felt comfortable, and always felt like Burnley were one good counter away from scoring. All in all though very happy with a draw. I think if either team had nicked it with a last minute goal, the losing side would justifiably have felt hard done by.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I thought it was one of the most evenly matched games I’ve seen in ages and 1-1 was about right in my opinion. I didn’t think it was a penalty, because Dunk was fouled first, but I can see why it was given as the Burnley lads shirt was up his back. I thought Burnley had a great chance at the end when their lad put it wide, but apart from that both teams really only had half chances. From a Brighton point of view 60% possession was great, and we bossed the midfield against side who were playing premier league football last year. Kayal was brilliant again. What I love about Stephens is he has such subtle game, in that he does a lot of work making vital tackles and making simple passes that go unnoticed but are crucial in getting our moves going. I thought the pair of them were fantastic yesterday.
Despite being happy with how we played, I thought Burnley were always a danger. I never felt comfortable, and always felt like Burnley were one good counter away from scoring. All in all though very happy with a draw. I think if either team had nicked it with a last minute goal, the losing side would justifiably have felt hard done by.

My thoughts entirely

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Yes why would he? But he clearly did

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here