Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A Very Real Problem: Lack of Sports Facilities in Brighton & Hove

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
NSC should be a good platform for sport aspirations of the city, but it needs to be a thread that is sticky and does not fizzle out.
Why don't we do what any good lobby group would do. Have a discussion on what we want, where we want it - have a poll - and then all back whatever it is that we've voted for. There's a lot of us here, and we could form a massive group if we also get Seagulls Chat involved.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
This maybe true, but they tend to spend all their time working on projects that fail, in fact all failure means to them is more work on the next failed project.

Failure and dragging things out always seems to be a good option for job security.

If we are claiming to be a city we need to have a sports centre to match.

The 'Commissioner: Sports & Leisure' has nothing to do with the Planning department. He works on, among other thing, outdoor events with the Culture, Recreation & Tourism department.

Which 'failed projects' are you talking about?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Why don't we do what any good lobby group would do. Have a discussion on what we want, where we want it - have a poll - and then all back whatever it is that we've voted for. There's a lot of us here, and we could form a massive group if we also get Seagulls Chat involved.

Agree, we would need to get the mods to agree to highlighting a debate thread, because these discussions have come up often but quickly fall into the NSC abyss.

Bringing back the Brighton Tigers is not that dissimilar to saving the Albion, but an ice rink also reaches out to a wider community participation in its own right. An ice rink is all inclusive and for all abilities on a sport and social side of things.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Bringing back the Brighton Tigers is not that dissimilar to saving the Albion, but an ice rink also reaches out to a wider community participation in its own right. An ice rink is all inclusive and for all abilities on a sport and social side of things.

Agree. An ice rink ticks all the boxes for the council and wider government's agenda to get the general populace up and active. And a town this size should really have an ice hockey team, it would be an attractive alternative to the Albion, particularly seeing as how it would be in the middle of town with all the transport advantages that the Albion don't have, plus the dates wouldn't generally clash. Perfect wholesome family entertainment. Not a single downside to the thing. Maybe one for Tony Bloom to consider investing in?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The 'Commissioner: Sports & Leisure' has nothing to do with the Planning department. He works on, among other thing, outdoor events with the Culture, Recreation & Tourism department.

Which 'failed projects' are you talking about?

Black Rock ice rink, which there were plans for two rinks. This included around 200 residential properties, doomed to failure before it began because of the chosen location in the armpit of the marina without a viable transport system. No projects like this are ever even considered more than 10 mins walk from a railway station.

The KA Gehry project with a token gesture leisure centre included 750 residential units and shops was never affordable and if they had started to build it they would have run out of money regardless of the recession.

These projects were doomed before they started, and the i360 has been dragging on for a decade, and so far this has failed to be delivered because the figure don't add up.

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
Agree. An ice rink ticks all the boxes for the council and wider government's agenda to get the general populace up and active. And a town this size should really have an ice hockey team, it would be an attractive alternative to the Albion, particularly seeing as how it would be in the middle of town with all the transport advantages that the Albion don't have, plus the dates wouldn't generally clash. Perfect wholesome family entertainment. Not a single downside to the thing. Maybe one for Tony Bloom to consider investing in?

I like your thinking my man, a basketball team wouldn't go amiss either.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Black Rock ice rink, which there were plans for two rinks. This included around 200 residential properties, doomed to failure before it began because of the chosen location in the armpit of the marina without a viable transport system. No projects like this are ever even considered more than 10 mins walk from a railway station.

The KA Gehry project with a token gesture leisure centre included 750 residential units and shops was never affordable and if they had started to build it they would have run out of money regardless of the recession.

These projects were doomed before they started, and the i360 has been dragging on for a decade, and so far this has failed to be delivered because the figure don't add up.

As I've said twice already, the Commissioner: Sport & Leisure has nothing to do with those projects. It's not his job.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

I think the King Alfred is the natural location to serve the community and the site should specifically be dedicated to sport and leisure.

My post earlier #58 shows the space required with room to spare.

This is the King Alfred site at the moment:

View attachment 50428

This is the space needed for a 50m pool with diving, a childrens pool, and full sized ice rink:

View attachment 50430

This is a video

This is the website

http://kingalfredarena.com/siteview.html

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink.

The King Alfred will just become a development of 450 residential units with a token gesture 25m pool.

Last edited:

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
I think the King Alfred is the natural location to serve the community and the site should specifically be dedicated to sport and leisure.

My post earlier shows the space required with room to spare.

That looks really good.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
we would need to get the mods to agree to highlighting a debate thread, because these discussions have come up often but quickly fall into the NSC abyss.
Mods, could we have this please?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Why do we want i360 , does B&H want to look like Portsmouth with their Spinnaker tower ? New leisure centre/ice rink on the King Alfred site and a monorail along the seafront is what we need.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Why do we want i360 , does B&H want to look like Portsmouth with their Spinnaker tower ? New leisure centre/ice rink on the King Alfred site and a monorail along the seafront is what we need.

Agree. Monorail in both directions, to the King Alfred one way and to the Marina the other way, with a Monorail terminus right outside the Palace Pier and the car traffic being diverted somewhere (anywhere) else. If they can dispel the traffic from outside East Croydon station then its a no-brainer to do it on Brighton seafront. Then start expanding the monorail til it displaces the buses as primary mode of transport in and around town, with the ultimate goal of it stretching all the way to the Uni and the Amex.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
To be fair - at least there are things to see from the Spinnaker. Is there going to be much worth seeing from the i360 ?

A view from 130ft higher than Sussex Heights is pretty giddy, I'd imagine. It's about the same level as the General Hospital on top of Elm Grove.

A 50-mile view of the coast I'd say is one answer. On a good day, you might even see the Spinnaker.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here