Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A truly EPIC fail from Theresa May...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
15th September 2010

Theresa May: We can cut police budget without risking violent unrest | UK news | guardian.co.uk

The home secretary, Theresa May, has dismissed fears that deep spending cuts could undermine the ability of the police to tackle possible civil unrest, and insisted the British did not respond to austerity by rioting on the streets.

May told the police superintendents' annual conference that it was "ridiculous" to suggest savings could not be made in policing, and went on to challenge the political orthodoxy that fewer officers would inevitably mean more crime. The home secretary pointed out that around the world significant falls in crime had happened alongside stable or even falling police numbers.

May was responding to a warning from the Superintendents' Association president, Derek Barnett, that severe spending cuts could undermine their ability to cope with rising social and industrial tensions as a result of the government's austerity package. Her speech also follows alarming predictions from the Police Federation that up to 40,000 police staff jobs could be lost as a result of a 25% cut, opening the way for a "Christmas for criminals".

May told the police: "The British public don't simply resort to violent unrest in the face of challenging economic circumstances. We must have a rational and reasonable debate about policing. Your association has a long and proud history of constructive and sensible contributions to policing policy-making – long may it continue."

Is there a facepalm quite big enough to cover this ?

Wowzer.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Come on Easy - give us the stats.

How many police were there?

How many police are there?

Would the difference, if there is any, really change what is happening now?

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
agree easy 10 but the last goverment is to blame as well for spending money the country did not have.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

Looking at it I don't think it would make a difference if they had 10 times the number of coppers on the streets, the scum are one step ahead and know if they caught nothing will happen to them

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

I'm not the home secretary, I don't have the stats.

But given what is going on this evening, the fact that the police are already too thinly spread to cope right now with emboldened thugs who know they can do whatever they want tonight without consequence, further reductions in the police force is not something thats going to help. I wouldn't have thought.

Its just an indication of how blase, detached and out of touch our politicians are with the impoverished people in this country now.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Also the closing of the prisons, where are they going to put all these wankers they're nicking ?

There must be a few uninhabited islands off the coast of Scotland where we can put all of these cunts (I make no apologies for use of that word). Put them on there with absolutely f*** all in the way of shelter and a week's worth of basic provisions. If they die from hypothermia or starvation-result. I don't want scum like these people in a society that I live in.

Here's Johnny!

All work and no play.....
Nov 27, 2008
Worthing

The numbers may not have made a difference but the well publicised cuts gives groups like this confidence they can get away with these things. We told people we were pulling our top up and are now shocked their looking at our titties.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I'm not a political animal because I find them all as bad as each other. But from looking on the tv there is a serious shortage of manpower on the streets tonight, and a lot of very frightened people.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
There must be a few uninhabited islands off the coast of Scotland where we can put all of these ***** (I make no apologies for use of that word). Put them on there with absolutely f*** all in the way of shelter and a week's worth of basic provisions. If they die from hypothermia or starvation-result. I don't want scum like these people in a society that I live in.

I wonder how many are asylum seekers and illegals ? Will be interesting to find out

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
agree easy 10 but the last goverment is to blame as well for spending money the country did not have.

I worked at the Ministry of Justice HQ under the old regime and they were cutting swathes then... hence all as bad as each other and just constant finger waving and point scoring without any real meat in the policies.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Have to say that Theresa May did not exactly inspire me with confidence with her appearance on the news tonight.

And I thought that our deputy Prime Minister was out of his depth when talking to people who had lost their homes/business's in Tottenham on Saturday.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Police on duty for royal wedding: 5000

Tonight: 1400

Well, according to someone on Twitter.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Easy, you know I love to have a go at the Tories but I think this transcends party politics. Whilst there may be some who feel they have a gripe about cuts to youth services, I don't believe that this is driven by that agenda. Also the police cuts Havnt happened yet. This is just plain thuggery and not political protest. The police reaction whilst poor so far needs to improve.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here