Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"A ticketing scheme fit for the Premiership"

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Surely If the fans had shown up earlier to collect their tickets there wouldn't have been a problem

My friend arrived at the AMEX at 11am, queued for 30 mins and then they took 30 mins to print the damned tickets.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This, serves them right, they were told many different ways to get their early if they had tickets to collect.

11am was pretty early no?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The madness of closing the queens rd ticket office

What a load of tosh. As fans come from all over Sussex and beyond I can hardly see that a ticket office in the centre of a very inaccessible city is going to make a jot of difference. What would is those needing to collect their tickets bothering to plan to get at the stadium with some time on their hands.

Smeagull

Mar 20, 2012
My friend arrived at the AMEX at 11am, queued for 30 mins and then they took 30 mins to print the damned tickets.

Yep same thing happened to me. But then when we tried to get in last night two of our four tickets wouldn't scan. It looked like the ink was low and one of the lines in the barcode didn't print. We then had to go queue up again for fecking half an hour. I wasn't exactly happy.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What a load of tosh. As fans come from all over Sussex and beyond I can hardly see that a ticket office in the centre of a very inaccessible city is going to make a jot of difference. What would is those needing to collect their tickets bothering to plan to get at the stadium with some time on their hands.

It is not inaccessible for those based or working in and around Brighton. It would have taken a lot of the strain out of yesterday's queues. And the AMEX is way more inaccessible. It's short-sighted to close the Queen Rd shop IMHO.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

You don't know what you're talking about.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
You don't know what you're talking about.

Really? If the club believed it offered such a good service it would still be there. Added to that many supporters as I say do not live in Brighton and do not have access to the restricted city centre. So I do know what I'm talking about.

This and Norwich, two games requiring all to purchase their tickets and not being able to use their smart cards. The only such games of the whole season.

If you disagree with my post regarding the demographics of our supporter base please enlighten me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Really? If the club believed it offered such a good service it would still be there.

Not necessarily; businessses do make wrong decisions.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Not necessarily; businessses do make wrong decisions.

With such a small amount of tickets available game by game it is not necessary to duplicate staff and ticketing systems, simple as. Most people would book on line or by phone. If you're going to a theatre/concert/fun park do you go to the venue in advance and buy your tickets or do you buy them over the internet/phone? The vast majority use the latter, I rest my case.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
With such a small amount of tickets available game by game it is not necessary to duplicate staff and ticketing systems, simple as. Most people would book on line or by phone. If you're going to a theatre/concert/fun park do you go to the venue in advance and buy your tickets or do you buy them over the internet/phone? The vast majority use the latter, I rest my case.

My view is that, if you want to sell games out, you need to make the football as accessible as possible to attract new or infrequent fans. Ticket outlets across the city achieve this. They also help with club awareness and goodwill which are two very valuable commodities. An extra few computer terminals and staff with training is a small financial price to pay for this; how much can some computer hardware and some Queens Rd staff training cost in terms of match day tickets? I prefer my club to be "reaching out", and closing the Queens Rd ticket office does the opposite.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The club did tell people to get there as early as possible because they knew there would be queues.

Appreciate that was not idea for those people who couldn't get there any earlier but at least they delayed kick off for people.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
My view is that, if you want to sell games out, you need to make the football as accessible as possible to attract new or infrequent fans. Ticket outlets across the city achieve this. They also help with club awareness and goodwill which are two very valuable commodities. An extra few computer terminals and staff with training is a small financial price to pay for this; how much can some computer hardware and some Queens Rd staff training cost in terms of match day tickets? I prefer my club to be "reaching out", and closing the Queens Rd ticket office does the opposite.

I would imagine that the club has all the figures in front of them in regards to sales of tickets via direct contact at the outlets and those sold over other mediums. Their analysis would have determined their decision. Perhaps a free hotline phone located in the shop with direct access to the ticket line would suffice. Ticket collection prior to the game is not usually a problem. Though a ST holder I've done it on a number of occasions for friends etc and waited no longer than a few minutes.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Really? If the club believed it offered such a good service it would still be there. Added to that many supporters as I say do not live in Brighton and do not have access to the restricted city centre. So I do know what I'm talking about.

This and Norwich, two games requiring all to purchase their tickets and not being able to use their smart cards. The only such games of the whole season.

If you disagree with my post regarding the demographics of our supporter base please enlighten me.

I used my smart card to get into the game last night, as did other people I knew. The only ones who needed paper tickets were those who sat in a different seat to their usual one, and non season ticket holders. The same applies to the Norwich game.
As I saw many people on Nsc talking about paper tickets, I was unsure, so I rang the ticket line at lunchtime on Friday, using most of my lunch break waiting in the queue to have it confirmed that I could use my card. I have better things to do than queue for nearly half an hour.

Many people can get to the centre of Brighton, either because they live there, or have a reasonably good bus service. It's a lot easier to go into town from Portslade by bus, for example than to drive over to the Amex. I have heard lots of people commenting on the lack of a ticket office in the centre shop.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I used my smart card to get into the game last night, as did other people I knew. The only ones who needed paper tickets were those who sat in a different seat to their usual one, and non season ticket holders. The same applies to the Norwich game.
As I saw many people on Nsc talking about paper tickets, I was unsure, so I rang the ticket line at lunchtime on Friday, using most of my lunch break waiting in the queue to have it confirmed that I could use my card. I have better things to do than queue for nearly half an hour.

Many people can get to the centre of Brighton, either because they live there, or have a reasonably good bus service. It's a lot easier to go into town from Portslade by bus, for example than to drive over to the Amex. I have heard lots of people commenting on the lack of a ticket office in the centre shop.

So all supporters live in Portslade? No. Brighton have always (since the 70's when I've been going anyway) had a fanbase from all over Sussex and further afield. The fact that when they first opened the shop in the centre actually caused a lot of problems for those of us that didn't fancy the horrendous trip into such an car unfriendly centre. So guess what I used to use the internet and the phone.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The goldstone had a couple of dozen ticket offices called turnstiles. The Amex creates its own bottle neck in the name of profit, sorry, I meant progress.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Did someone on here mention there was a self-print ticket option? Or have I imagined this?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So all supporters live in Portslade? No. Brighton have always (since the 70's when I've been going anyway) had a fanbase from all over Sussex and further afield. The fact that when they first opened the shop in the centre actually caused a lot of problems for those of us that didn't fancy the horrendous trip into such an car unfriendly centre. So guess what I used to use the internet and the phone.

Portslade was just an example. Many of our supporters do use the internet, and we have a big season ticket base, but we also want to attract the casual supporter and visitors. The club shop is far more visible to these people than the Amex.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Portslade was just an example. Many of our supporters do use the internet, and we have a big season ticket base, but we also want to attract the casual supporter and visitors. The club shop is far more visible to these people than the Amex.

Agree. Very important.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Slightly o/t but in the days of the travel vouchers I popped into the town centre shop to get some for some upcoming games. There was a sign up saying there was no tickets available for upcoming games but noticed there was two people still sitting behind the ticket counter talking to each other so went to enquire if I could have some travel vouchers to be told they didn't have any either.

So in summary there were two people being paid to sit there doing nothing.

Looking back, Paul Barber was somewhat inevitable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here