Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A thread of "When the FA Cup was good"

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
It will never get back to where it once was.
The most important day in the football calendar, when families would gather round the set, friends would come round and most of the country stopped for the FA Cup Final. When excited schoolboys would grab the Radio Times to see when the days events would start ( 10.30-11.00 usually ) " How the teams got there "..." The teams at their pre-match hotels " "...Meet the players "..."Its a Cup Final knockout "..." Celebrity fans "...." Community singing "
For the players it was the most treasured medal. To play in a Wembley Cup Final was the highlight of their careers. It was five or six hours that you set aside. Nothing got in the way. Even if you were playing school sport in the morning, you rushed back to view it.
It was still very special in 83 but its lost its glamour now. Sad but thats the way football has gone, with games now shown, morning ,noon and night. Even the players don't rate it that highly anymore.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I was going to try and add to this thread with a Youtube clip of Keith Houchen's goal in the 1987 final for Coventry, a true classic.

But I can't. Because the FA rights department have removed all of them.

Which is kind of a symbolic development, if you're talking nostalgia.

LA1972

May 20, 2009
West Sussex
I was going to try and add to this thread with a Youtube clip of Keith Houchen's goal in the 1987 final for Coventry, a true classic.

Coventry played Leeds in the semi final remember watching it on TV......what an atmosphere that was! If you get the chance the highlights are on youtube

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
10 Th Jan 1987 4th Div Aldershot v Oxford then Lge Cup holders ,prices put up from £3 to £9 cue a boycott attendance of 1964.John Aldridge's last game before signing for Liverpool and Oxford played him .Martin Foyle was moving to Oxford we didn't Play him .Score? 3 0 Aldershot oh the joys of The Cup love it.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK

Via the sort of means that get fans very het up when discussing Cup Final tickets - my equally not Coventry-supporting brother won tickets at his work - I was at that game and that classic diving header happened right in front of our perch on the terraces.

I'd arguably put that down as one of the last great traditional Cup Finals: David vs Goliath upset, 100,000 crowd at the old Wembley. Fantastic stuff.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
10 Th Jan 1987 4th Div Aldershot v Oxford then Lge Cup holders ,prices put up from £3 to £9 cue a boycott attendance of 1964.John Aldridge's last game before signing for Liverpool and Oxford played him .Martin Foyle was moving to Oxford we didn't Play him .Score? 3 0 Aldershot oh the joys of The Cup love it.

And an example of the disappearing magic of the cup - winning 6-2 away at Aldershot - everyone happy, then before we had left the ground the draw was announced - Scunthorpe Away. It was like Andy Flowers had just arrived.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
And an example of the disappearing magic of the cup - winning 6-2 away at Aldershot - everyone happy, then before we had left the ground the draw was announced - Scunthorpe Away. It was like Andy Flowers had just arrived.
Yep we got to the 3rd Round 06/07 as a non league side and drew 3rd tier Blackpool away:facepalm:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The increasing lack of interest in the F.A Cup started with Man Utd's decision not to compete in the 99-00 competition in favour of the World Team Championship which clashed with the third round ties. I seem to remember that they initially requested a bye and the FA told them to sod off.

It was a bit harsh because, as I remember it, the FA were keen for Man Utd to appease FIFA due the them trying for 2006 world cup.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
At home to Norwich in 83 was the first time I had not been able to get in at the Goldstone, sold out, couldn't believe how it happened........JCLs!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
It will never get back to where it once was.
The most important day in the football calendar, when families would gather round the set, friends would come round and most of the country stopped for the FA Cup Final. When excited schoolboys would grab the Radio Times to see when the days events would start ( 10.30-11.00 usually ) " How the teams got there "..." The teams at their pre-match hotels " "...Meet the players "..."Its a Cup Final knockout "..." Celebrity fans "...." Community singing "
For the players it was the most treasured medal. To play in a Wembley Cup Final was the highlight of their careers. It was five or six hours that you set aside. Nothing got in the way. Even if you were playing school sport in the morning, you rushed back to view it.
It was still very special in 83 but its lost its glamour now. Sad but thats the way football has gone, with games now shown, morning ,noon and night. Even the players don't rate it that highly anymore.

I'll add to that decision to not make it the season finale.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Your memories of when the FA Cup actually meant something, when they actually stopped the nation (be they 1983 or otherwise).

This one had it all. Drama, victory for the massive underdogs, and Jimmy Greaves looking like he'd got dressed in the dark. Textbook.

Wimbledon finished seventh in the league. In what conceivable way were they massive underdogs?

An equivalent from last season would be Man Utd beating Man City.

People always talk about it as a great giantkilling, but it really wasn't. And Wimbledon were one of the most detested teams at the time because of their long-ball tactics and their thuggish style of play. Personally, I was gutted Liverpool didn't thrash them.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Sunderland beating Leeds 73

Southampton beating Man Utd 76

magic!

scouse finals were good too

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I often used to ask people when the first final they remembered was. In most cases it seems to be the one when a person was 7 years old.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I often used to ask people when the first final they remembered was. In most cases it seems to be the one when a person was 7 years old.

correct!

arsenal-liverpool 71

watched it at my nan's house because she had a coloured tele

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
The thread is not complete until it has a tin foil FA cup.

However I am on an iPad and can't do it.

That said I found a picture of our very own media whore, Mr Mendoza, is actually no. 3 on the Google image search for "Tin Foil FA cup". Please, if anyone puts a picture up, not that one!!!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Beyond 1983.

When think FA Cup, I think Peterborough away in the snow.

Happy dayz.
This. It was FREEZING COLD that day. And their goalkeeper had a strange twitch.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The thread is not complete until it has a tin foil FA cup.

However I am on an iPad and can't do it.

That said I found a picture of our very own media whore, Mr Mendoza, is actually no. 3 on the Google image search for "Tin Foil FA cup". Please, if anyone puts a picture up, not that one!!!

download.jpg

Pour vous...

Jello Biafra

Aug 8, 2011
As a 14-year old, meeting Stuart Hall briefly in Peter Robinson's office after the Anfield game in 1983 was a highlight for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here