Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A thread full of palace v Brighton pictures

Can't find the picture but when them Pikey bastards broke Gerry Ryan's leg ....
A PALACE MEMORY:rolleyes:
With the return of the Palace Brighton grudge match, it got me thinking about all the games i've been to against them. One of the most controversial had to be the home game in 1985 when Henry Hughton ended Gerry Ryan's career, breaking his leg(s?) with an over the top tackle.

It was never on film and i've never seen any pictures of the incident but here is my recollection of it - for any of you that were there that night at Selhurst too, is it similar to yours or is my memory failing me?

It was an evening game that ended in a 1-1 draw. Brighton were attacking the Whitehorse End and Ryan was on the right wing by the Arthur Waite just inside our half. Hughton - like a raging bull - went diving into the tackle very high and took him out completely. All hell then broke loose. I recall at least 3 Brighton players actually physically assaulting Hughton out of indignant rage over the tackle. I have a memory of Neil Smilie (for them) literally jumping into Hughton studs up. Wasn't big Frank Worthington around too?

I don't remember Hughton reacting to the outbursts, and to me seemed embarrassed by the tackle. I'm sure he was then sent off, but checking my programmes and Palace complete record a sending off isn't noted???

I remember there being quite a fall out in the days after the game with their manager Chris Cattlin saying it was the worse challenge he'd seen in football. Didn't Ryan break both his legs or was that the legend that grew over the years? I remember he tried to recover but in the end called it a day and so Hughton was responsible for ending the career of Brighton's longest serving player at the club at that time..........stop sniggering at the back;)

I was at the training ground a couple of days later and a reporter was sniffing about. We had a chat with him and he said he was there because of the Hughton incident and said what a nasty challenge it was. Not sure if he was from Brighton but he didn't seem too enamoured about our Henry. Looking back, Hughton seemed to me very quiet at that training session and i think was trying to avoid the reporter.

Not sure Coppell was too impressed either because he only played a handful of games after that and was sold to Brentford a year later.

This incident has always been mentioned over the years but i'm sure i've never really heard or seen anyone go into detail about it on here or Hol.

Anyone? In true Crimewatch fashion, this might jog a few memories, and our line up that evening was: Wood, Hughton, Sparrow, Finnigan, Droy, Cannon, Taylor, Stebbing, Aylott, Gray, Lindsay

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
With the return of the Palace Brighton grudge match, it got me thinking about all the games i've been to against them. One of the most controversial had to be the home game in 1985 when Henry Hughton ended Gerry Ryan's career, breaking his leg(s?) with an over the top tackle.

It was never on film and i've never seen any pictures of the incident but here is my recollection of it - for any of you that were there that night at Selhurst too, is it similar to yours or is my memory failing me?

It was an evening game that ended in a 1-1 draw. Brighton were attacking the Whitehorse End and Ryan was on the right wing by the Arthur Waite just inside our half. Hughton - like a raging bull - went diving into the tackle very high and took him out completely. All hell then broke loose. I recall at least 3 Brighton players actually physically assaulting Hughton out of indignant rage over the tackle. I have a memory of Neil Smilie (for them) literally jumping into Hughton studs up. Wasn't big Frank Worthington around too?

I don't remember Hughton reacting to the outbursts, and to me seemed embarrassed by the tackle. I'm sure he was then sent off, but checking my programmes and Palace complete record a sending off isn't noted???

I remember there being quite a fall out in the days after the game with their manager Chris Cattlin saying it was the worse challenge he'd seen in football. Didn't Ryan break both his legs or was that the legend that grew over the years? I remember he tried to recover but in the end called it a day and so Hughton was responsible for ending the career of Brighton's longest serving player at the club at that time..........stop sniggering at the back;)

I was at the training ground a couple of days later and a reporter was sniffing about. We had a chat with him and he said he was there because of the Hughton incident and said what a nasty challenge it was. Not sure if he was from Brighton but he didn't seem too enamoured about our Henry. Looking back, Hughton seemed to me very quiet at that training session and i think was trying to avoid the reporter.

Not sure Coppell was too impressed either because he only played a handful of games after that and was sold to Brentford a year later.

This incident has always been mentioned over the years but i'm sure i've never really heard or seen anyone go into detail about it on here or Hol.

Anyone? In true Crimewatch fashion, this might jog a few memories, and our line up that evening was: Wood, Hughton, Sparrow, Finnigan, Droy, Cannon, Taylor, Stebbing, Aylott, Gray, Lindsay

I was there but I don't remember any of the detail - you have a much beter memory than me. I do remembr reading somewhere (I think) that Ryan and Hughton were good mates of the pitch and that might explain Hughton's chastened reaction.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
I was there but I don't remember any of the detail - you have a much beter memory than me. I do remembr reading somewhere (I think) that Ryan and Hughton were good mates of the pitch and that might explain Hughton's chastened reaction.

Just to add, they were both Rep of Ireland players and that is probably where the friendship stems from.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost

I DON'T LEAVE THINGS HALF DONE.
freedmanact_237548_2409951a.jpg

Less than a week later

article-0-15BF19D2000005DC-975_634x399.jpg

+ Referral to the charming Palace fan's comment that got rewarded with my signature.

i was there but i don't remember any of the detail - you have a much beter memory than me. I do remembr reading somewhere (i think) that ryan and hughton were good mates of the pitch and that might explain hughton's chastened reaction.

the above is from a palace fans memory,i think i might have left for the early train by then:rolleyes:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Best thread in ages.

289690header.jpg

Can anyone find a picture of Chippy with a headband on after RUNNING the Brighton midfield in the 0-1 win?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Just caught the end of Championship round up predictions thingey on Talkshit with some guy who I presume was from a betting company, who said, and I quote "No one I know thinks that Palace have got a team to last the distance." Later in the same piece they went on to say that "Gus Poyet knows what he's doing" and were larging up the tippy-tappy master.

Salad days NSC, salad days indeed. :clap:

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Just caught the end of Championship round up predictions thingey on Talkshit with some guy who I presume was from a betting company, who said, and I quote "No one I know thinks that Palace have got a team to last the distance." Later in the same piece they went on to say that "Gus Poyet knows what he's doing" and were larging up the tippy-tappy master.

Salad days NSC, salad days indeed. :clap:

Yep, as you said, Talkshit

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

My memory is similar.

Ryan's leg was broken in 2 places, I think, not both legs.

I don't recall Hughton even getting booked. Pretty certain he wasn't sent off.

The rest of the game was just a blur as I was in a rage about the challenge and couldn't stop re-running it in my head.

I think there was a photo of Ryan on the ground after the challenge in yesterday's programme (didn't buy it myself), and it said that Ryan has forgiven Hughton. This makes him a bigger man than me, as I'll never forgive him!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here