Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] A thread full of now defunct Tour Operators/Airline that you travelled with

SockMonster

Oct 12, 2007
Brighton
Anyone remember Peoples Express? Flew withem to New York in early 80's i think. Flew Dan Air as an 8 year old on a Comet. Something broke soon after take off and we had to go back to airport. Remember being equal measures excited and scared

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
No idea on the costs as I was just a wee bairn, but went on hols to Mallorca in the early 80s with my mum and dad on Laker Airways. Good old Freddie.

I did the same with my Mum & Dad as a teenager. On the return journey we were diverted from Gatwick to Manchester due to fog. We then were driven by coach back to Gatwick but when coming down the M6 one of the group announced that a coach locker had opened and that suitcases were falling out. The coach pulled up on the hard shoulder while the driver and a helpers walked back to retrieve them.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A Vingresor family package holiday to Fuengirola in 1978, the flight was in a Dan Air de Havilland Comet. We asked to meet the pilots and were allowed into the cockpit, which was common then!

Laker flights in a wide bodied DC10 to NYC in 1979.

Then a Tjaereborg package to Magaluff in 1980, on a family holiday. Little did I know that I’d be back with mates in the mid-80’s.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Spantax to Majorca on what must have been one of the last 707’s.

Yoda

English & European
Flew on one of these once for a holiday
80853_1484410703.jpg

A beauty of an aircraft. Ahead of it's time when it came out from what I understand.
Caledonian were a joy to fly with too.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Did you get to meet Charles Lindbergh?

I did think Ben’s Grandad as I posted :lolol:

I’ve also flown on this airline on a Dakota like in the photo. It was the aircraft that put me off flying when I was about 8, I still don’t like it. Having a fire engine running alongside on the runway will do it!

71D9245C-B4B9-4210-930F-5975853F4864.jpeg

Last edited:

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
JMC which became Thomas Cook Air to Santorini.

Panorama holidays to Sfax in Tunisia with Air Nouveau in a plane that I thought was going to break apart on take off. Think it was an MD-80.

Dan Air and Monarch to various places.

Air Europe - fabulous white and orange livery.

BCal to many places in the 80’s but most notably to Murcia which back then was just a Spanish Air Force base that rented out slots in the summer to an enterprising British independent travel agent to service a large stock of villas he had. Was if memory serves one of their DC-10s in its fantastic half aluminium half blue and yellow liveries. Notable for the fact that the travel agent knocked on our villa door and offered us a third week free as he’d over booked the flight.

Jul 7, 2003
TWA to the US. In a short space I flew to Florida three times with different now defunct airlines - Laker, Travel City Direct and ATA (American Trans Air).

Air Europe flights and Horizon holidays and also back then flew with British Airtours and British Caledonian..

Used to fly to Newcastle regularly on all these airlines that are no longer around - started off with Dan Air (great service), CityFlyer Express, Gill Air (regional airline using 33 seater Shorts Skyvans) and most recently FlyBe.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
A couple of years back, me and a mate, both newly retired and with a combined age well into treble figures, booked a bargain last minute deal to Kardamena in Kos in September over tinternet. Flights, transfers, accommodation all included. Cheap as chips. Duly presented ourselves to the rep on arrival in Greece. At which point she gave us the strangest of looks, triple checked her list, consulted with her colleague and pointed us in the general direction of our coach - which had Club 18-30 stickers plastered all over it :eek:

Have to say we had a great time tho. Rarely saw any of the other guests during the hours of daylight, pool entirely to ourselves, and only the occasional glimpse of a bare bum pumping up and down energetically on top of a squealing giggling teen from Bolton in the shrubbery late at night. Only apartment I ever stayed in that had a list of sliding scale of charges for breakages on the back of the bedroom door where the fire drill instructions would normally be :lol:

Last edited:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Flew on one of these once for a holiday
80853_1484410703.jpg

A beauty of an aircraft. Ahead of it's time when it came out from what I understand.
Caledonian were a joy to fly with too.

I think G-BBAJ was still flying when I worked for Cale, I can remember the day our new DC-10 flew in to Gatwick for the first time and we all piled on to the tarmac to watch it fly in, absolutely wouldn’t happen now but back then it was just open the back door of the office and wander out airside

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here