Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] A thread for all the seagulls looking down on us today

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
Thread of the year. Thank you.

The whole Chuter family and also a nod to Keith Gumbrell who will be sitting somewhere with a cigar saying he does not what the fuss is about, whilst blowing smoke at an irate neighbour in the stand.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
36 years ago this week (19th to be exact) my late dad and I walked all the way from Moulsecoomb to the Goldstone for my first match, a 3-1 win vs Sunderland.

Tonight I'll be walking the opposite direction, Preston Park to The Amex, thinking of dad and others who have shared our crazy journey from the bottom to the top of football. Unbelievable.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
IMG_0457.jpeg
Tony would have loved today

HangletonGull

Apr 10, 2023
When I was about 6/7 and used to stay at my nan and grandads house on a Friday , Saturday morning grandad used to have a bath get ready and leave about 12 ish for the legion club on Shirley street then up to the goldstone last thing he would put on was his blue and white scarf I wish I could of gone with him (ended up going to my 1st game couple of later) was so jealous watching grandstand with my nan watching the scores come in, 7-55 tonight even tho he died over 20 years ago he will be with me as I hold that scarf up he wore this ones for you fella

Last edited:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
My (younger) brother Joe who sat next to me at the Amex in the Upper West. We started going to the Goldstone as schoolboys when Pat Sayward was in charge.

His last game was the 1-0 win against Man U. The one where the ref judged the ball to have gone over the line (aided by technology) just over 5 years ago. Sadly he was not with us for the next win over United a few months later.

His son, my nephew, now proudly sits in his place.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
As we’re at it, my dad past away last June after a long few years being ill and having a stroke.
He managed to see us get into the premier league after years of struggle which he played his part.
For many years he campaigned through the medium of cartoons for fanzines, On the Up, Seaside Saga etc.

The reason why I support Brighton, I’ll raising a glass to him tonight, would’ve been there together, but will be in spirit(s).
IMG_0029.jpeg
IMG_0030.jpeg
IMG_0031.jpeg
IMG_0032.jpeg
IMG_0033.jpeg

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Jez Cooper of the Fly Kicking Badgers, like most of us would find it all surreal now. He took is own life over 20 years ago and I still think of him at games.
Also the legend that is crazy Mick Dawes of Bognor. I first met him in a pub in Soho, he'd travelled up with an ex girlfriend of mine from Southampton. I lived on Green Street at the time and we were off to see the Albion at the Boleyn. Many years older than me, I had left it up to him as to when we should leave. I saw the time - 2:30. Then it dawned on me, he had already emptied the bar on the train to London, then I saw him down endless pints and spirits, shared several spliffs with me and offered me coke in the toilets. Unsurprisingly we arrived at the game 5 minutes before kick off and Mick drank himself to death last year.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Received a call from my friend's son this afternoon to say his dad died early this morning. John started watching Brighton in the 60's but stopped going in the 80's. I first met John in the Post Office he owned in Sedlescombe, I had just bought The Queens Head next door. We started talking football. Having 3 ST's for the family when one couldn't go John would. He caught the bug again and bought a st at Withdean next to me. For the last 20 years, he only missed periods when he was sadly diagnosed with cancer. He overcame it twice but days before our first home game this season he became unwell and so the bastard disease finally got him this morning.

We will remember him tonight, and raise a glass.

John Mainwood RIP, a true "gentle" man.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Dad for the first Goldstone trip. Cliff Goddard colleague who worked for Star Brewery Eastbourne left the chicken run before the first sortie into the first div. wow what a time ago, RIP.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here