Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A thread dedicated to the person who first introduced you to the Albion

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
On the 23/04/71 , my Dad decided it was time for me to visit the Goldstone and take in my first Albion match. I was 10 years old ,
It was against Halifax Town, it was in the third division . It was a 4000 crowd and we lost 1.0.

Regardless of the result , I was hooked. I will always remember first stepping over the top of the terrace and see the pitch for the first time . I had never seen anything so green . I know grass is green , but this was super green.

He took me to every home game up until 1976/77,when I think he felt his job was done and I started going with my mates .
If it was not for him , I could have been a Leeds fan or an Arsenal fan or any other team doing well at the time .Because of him , I am a Brighton fan as are my children.

My Dad sadly passed away on Sunday, in my life he did many great things for me , but ensuring I am an Albion fan has to be at the top.

This thread is dedicated to him and all others like him who first introduced us to the Albion.

RIP Dad x

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
My stepdad. I was 9 and it was 1979. No idea who we played or the score, but I remember watching from the West stand

Uncle Cyril:)
ADDED BIRDMANS THREAD BELOW

My Uncle Cyril had a green grocers in the Lewes Road I would travel by bus from Seaford and work in the morning in his shop and he would then take me to the game in the afternoon, I believe the first game was 1964 I remember Norman Wisdom on the pitch signing Sussex By The Sea. He watched the Albion before the war and after he also played for several Brihgton cricket teams. He also took me to watch Sussex CCC 1966 when they beat the West Indies. My Nephew organised the memorial stone outside the ground in his memory. He was very upset when we lost the Goldstone .

Attachments

• DSCF7112.JPG
    DSCF7112.JPG
    535.6 KB · Views: 150
  • scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    519.8 KB · Views: 176
  • scan0040.jpg
    scan0040.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Similar to the OP, but early 1970 v Bradford City. Alan Duffy's debut. We won 2-1. I was 7.

My dad died 15 years ago this month. RIP Dad. :angel: :bowdown:

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
My Uncle Cyril had a green grocers in the Lewes Road I would travel by bus from Seaford and work in the morning in his shop and he would then take me to the game in the afternoon, I believe the first game was 1964 I remember Norman Wisdom on the pitch signing Sussex By The Sea. He watched the Albion before the war and after he also played for several Brihgton cricket teams. He also took me to watch Sussex CCC 1966 when they beat the West Indies. My Nephew organised the memorial stone outside the ground in his memory. He was very upset when we lost the Goldstone .

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Don't have a complete recollection of my first game. I am very impressed with anyone who can remember so vividly.

I know it was with the school because Steve Penney had paid a visit the Wednesday before and had scored the night before or at the previous weekend, so we had some freebies. I was around 9/10 so it was 1985ish, and either early or late in the season. They picked someone from our school to be mascot for the game and I remember being very jealous that it wasn't me. We sat in the South Stand.

Beyond that I have no idea who it was against, what the score was, who played etc..

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
My Dad took me to my first Albion match in 1985 when I was about 10, though I can't recall who it was against. These days I take him to matches... though I stop short of buying him a Wagon Wheel from the West Stand kiosk - mainly 'cos they don't sell 'em!

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
On the 23/04/71 , my Dad decided it was time for me to visit the Goldstone and take in my first Albion match. I was 10 years old ,
It was against Halifax Town, it was in the third division . It was a 4000 crowd and we lost 1.0.

Regardless of the result , I was hooked. I will always remember first stepping over the top of the terrace and see the pitch for the first time . I had never seen anything so green . I know grass is green , but this was super green.

He took me to every home game up until 1976/77,when I think he felt his job was done and I started going with my mates .
If it was not for him , I could have been a Leeds fan or an Arsenal fan or any other team doing well at the time .Because of him , I am a Brighton fan as are my children.

My Dad sadly passed away on Sunday, in my life he did many great things for me , but ensuring I am an Albion fan has to be at the top.

This thread is dedicated to him and all others like him who first introduced us to the Albion.

RIP Dad x

That's a lovely little tale. Sorry for your loss. Like most of us our dads took us to our first games, your post has made me feel very emotional.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
The year was 1974, my first Albion game, a pre-season friendly in August, I was 11,... my first competitive game, League Cup evening game home to Millwall 1977. My sponsor was my late Grandfather, a teacher at Shoreham Grammer, and close friend of Denis Foreman, two hundred games for the Albion and 15 years for Sussex CC. We used to sit at my grandfathers house on shoreham beach, chatting about sport, the three of us,.... this led to my love of all things sport, but the Albion in particular.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
[MENTION=14747]redneb[/MENTION] took me to my first game when I was about 6 (even thought he's a Saints fan) so I guess he introduced me to the Albion. I think [MENTION=159]Stumpy Tim[/MENTION] and [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] could lay claim to getting me to support them though.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
My stepdad. I was 9 and it was 1979. No idea who we played or the score, but I remember watching from the West stand
Similar story here. I supported Albion on the telly but my stepdad took me to see them win against Huddersfield in the league cup in 1981 (I was 10). I went again that season (dad took me this time) to see Albion draw 1-1 with Kevin Keegan's Southampton.

Potters mate

Jan 22, 2004
Lewes
My sympathies to you and your family.

My first game was with my Dad also. cant remember the year, mid-late 80s, boxing day, we lost one nil to bristol rovers and it TIPPED it down. Been hooked ever since!

He wouldve been 60 today, I will be raising a glass or 6 tonight.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
My mate Richard told me to come with him to Ipswich, thirty years ago yesterday the game was, we lost 2-0 John Wark scoring both I think.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
My Dad. March 1976 v Peterborough and we won 5-0. I thought it would always be that easy! I remember wondering why there wasn't any commentary.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here