Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A story about our Chairman

Del of Albion

Jul 15, 2009
East Sussex
I was told a tale about Tony Bloom which made me smile. I hope is true, what do you think?

When the Chairman of the Buckingham group broke the earth on the first day of starting work on building the stadium he turned to Martin Perry and said it is usual for a sum of money be paid to us prior to work starting. A token amount would be good say £5000. The next day a sum of £45 million was paid into their account.

Wow!

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Doubt it's true. Bloom would have paid in installments while Perry kept an eye on things.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Even if if not I truly like to beleive it is and from now on it is fact to me

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
Funnily enough I heard the same story a while back and dismissed it as bollocks so you never know!

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Ernest, my love. You really are a silly old SAUSAGE. :wink:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'm pretty sure Bloom wouldn't just pay them that much more than was needed, else he'd be pretty naive right ?

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
If this wee anecdote is true, I think I'll hand young Mr B a spade with my bank details sellotaped to the handle.

Luvverly jubbly. :thumbsup:

macky

Dec 28, 2004
It's bolox no business man would pay anything before he has to
Thinko about it why would he give all that interest away Some people are very gullible

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
It's bolox no business man would pay anything before he has to
Thinko about it why would he give all that interest away Some people are very gullible
Exactly and not forgetting if Buckingham went bust after a few months etc.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I can't believe it is a true story because if it was, it would be a sad reflection on TB's business acumen and that wouldn't bode well for the future.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Wasn't Dick Tight STILL in charge when the BUILDING started ? So I'd say the potless pillock put 45p in Buckinghams account

He was a Marmite type of Chairman, you ether like him or not ! and during his tenure had some very hard decisions to make so wasn't everyone's cup of tea

However for some reason I find this post quite offensive though. The guy saved us from the brink and I remember when we played Plymouth at Home Park to gain promotion, both myself and my son were in the Directors Box (as was Micheal Foot). He's a good man and made a point of talking with my lad during the game and as shown, a good businessman. Don't let your memories be too short, without him we would have gone to the wall.

We all know he doesn't have the financial resources of TB but his efforts of steadying the ship and ultimately bringing "OUR" club home were absolutely priceless and that for me makes him a man that should go into Albions folklore

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
So with all his experience in construction Martin Perry needed to be told to pay money into Buckingham's account. surely stuff like payment would be managed to a strict plan, just like everything else on a big project. It just doesn't sound right.

SeagullEd

Jan 18, 2008
So with all his experience in construction Martin Perry needed to be told to pay money into Buckingham's account. surely stuff like payment would be managed to a strict plan, just like everything else on a big project. It just doesn't sound right.

Exactly, it's absolute rubbish. They'll have had a strict schedule of payment for a contract like that, not just £45 million flying around.

Fergus96

Oct 20, 2004
Hove
He was a Marmite type of Chairman, you ether like him or not ! and during his tenure had some very hard decisions to make so wasn't everyone's cup of tea

However for some reason I find this post quite offensive though. The guy saved us from the brink and I remember when we played Plymouth at Home Park to gain promotion, both myself and my son were in the Directors Box (as was Micheal Foot). He's a good man and made a point of talking with my lad during the game and as shown, a good businessman. Don't let your memories be too short, without him we would have gone to the wall.

We all know he doesn't have the financial resources of TB but his efforts of steadying the ship and ultimately bringing "OUR" club home were absolutely priceless and that for me makes him a man that should go into Albions folklore

Totally Agree with your statement - I found that post offensive, given everything Mr Knight did for this club

macky

Dec 28, 2004
The MAJORITY of TRUE fans CELEBRATE the day Dick Tight was KICKED out of the club, if that TINPOT dictator was still CLINGING on we would be in the Blue SQUARE league with that CLOWN Salde as manager.

KNIGHT OUT

SACK THE BOARD

i think im a true fan and i was'nt celebrating far from it In fact i think something should be named ofter him at Falmer

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here