A Southampton view on the Albion

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

pyi

Jul 24, 2007
Southampton - Season 2010/11 Rivals - Brighton
Last season they started slowly and saw the arrival of Gus Poyet as a replacement for deposed Russell Slade.

Slade was sacked on November 1st with Poyet taking over officially on November 10th. Sadly Poyet's first game in charge was at St Mary's and Brighton ran out 3-1 winners.

The Club gradually climbed up the league and were confirmed as safe on April 24th when they had a dramatic last minute win over Bristol Rovers.

So after suffering from the new manager's first game syndrome we go to Brighton on the run-in and draw. Many believe we were lucky to get a point that day and I go along with that view.

So what do we expect to see this season from the club that started in 1901 and played at the Goldstone ground from 1902.

The club that came close to oblivion itself after the ground was sold and they ended up playing at Gillingham's Priestfield Stadium for two years. They returned to Brighton in 1999, renting the Withdean.

The club that in 2004 had £9.5 million debt to worry about. The debt caused partly by the Public enquiry into their application for a new ground, rent paid on the Withdean Stadium and the fees paid to use Gillingham's stadium. That allied to the smallness of the Withdean meant a shortfall on income.

£7m of this debt was paid by the board of directors with the remainder paid by the operation of the club and the 'Alive and Kicking' fund.

They had a fundraising hit record 'Tom Hark(We Want Falmer). There was also nude Xmas cards featuring the players made in their bid to help raise funds.

Soon they will be leaving the Withdean and moving to their new ground. The building of the 22,500 seater Falmer Stadium is expected to be completed in time for the 2011/12 season.

Even after planning permission had been granted there was an appeal caused by the wording of John Prescott's decision to allow the ground. This appeal cost more money and delayed the building by a year.

So how will they fare this season? With Poyet they seem to have a manager that is helping Brighton to move forward. I know that they would love to be able to celebrate the move next year to Falmer with a promotion.

Can they achieve it this season? I am not sure that they will be strong enough to compete over a full season. They have retained Calderon and added to their playing strength, but I have a feeling that this season will be as tough as last season was.

I can not see them turning us over as they did last season at St Mary's. Yes I expect them to perform better than last season but no I do not yet see them as a real threat.

Read more: Southampton - Southampton - Season 2010/11 Rivals - Brighton

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
To be fair, I'd imagine pretty much most league one fans will have the same opinion of our team.

The only team who stand out as promotion candidates are Southampton and that's because of the money they have spunked.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Yeh, I read that this morning. It's all a bit vague and not particularly well written so I wouldn't pay much notice to it. Only player/signing he bothered to mention was Calderon.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Seems pretty fair and balanced to be honest. Especially the admission that they were lucky to get a single point off us last year.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
İbrahim Tatlıses;3597895 said:
It would have been nice to know why he thinks that we will struggle again this season. This could well be the strongest side we have ever had at Withdean once finalised.

Operative word being COULD be the strongest side. I doubt it will be compared to the team that almost stayed in the then division one under Coppell, and whilst I think we could do very well a lot of our players are unproven at even a high level in this division - in fact you'd probably say most of them.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
There is clumsy execution in the way it tries to provide a historical context and look to the future at the same time.

So what do we expect to see this season from the club that started in 1901 and played at the Goldstone ground from 1902.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
To be fair, I'd imagine pretty much most league one fans will have the same opinion of our team.

The only team who stand out as promotion candidates are Southampton and that's because of the money they have spunked.

Huddersfield? They've made fantastic signings.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Personally, I want everyone to understate our chances and talk us down. I don't want to be seen as promotion candidates until at least March when hopefully we will be.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
i don't care what southampton think of us tbh, look at how we performed the second half of the season and add the new faces (hand picked by gus) and a full pre-season - i think we will be in or around playoffs at least, and oh how would i love to increase our points tally over southampton to 6 next season :thumbsup:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Worrying that so many fans really do see us as promotion candidates when we only avoided relegation late in the season. Most teams who do that show promotion form in that escape run, so I wouldn't read too much into our late season form.

Over expectation turns Withdean into a vile place when we lose a few, so hope we can start well and avoid the inevitable call for heads if we don't.

No reason why Southampton should see us as a threat at the moment imo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports