Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A simple solution to reduce queues for catering at the Amex.

Dandare70

Jan 21, 2010
Surely this method has been considered and there must be a reason why it is not being used?...

youtube.com/watch?v=F5Ri_HhziI0

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
The only flaw I can see with that system at the ground is the prohibitive length of the concourses (in relation to the length of the queue). So, we're gonna need longer stands then innit.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I think using any model other than a venue where the trading peak times is so condensed is foolish, if your going to compare it to a similar environment compare it to Mcdonalds/KFC/Burgerking who all themselves struggle at peak times.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
The only flaw I can see with that system at the ground is the prohibitive length of the concourses (in relation to the length of the queue). So, we're gonna need longer stands then innit.

Disagree, I think that would be ideal at the Amex, the concourses are long and narrow so by implimenting a 'zig/zag, barriered queueing system (as at theme parks/post offices/banks etc.) running parrallel to the kiosks the benefits are,

1. Stops the concourses being blocked by up to 6 seperate queues (it took us about 10 mins to fight our way through the concourse crowds yesterday to get from one end of the WSU to the other).

2. Should stop people queue jumping and pushing in.

3. Less stress on the people serving in the kiosks by not having a heaving mass of people in their faces all the time.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Disagree, I think that would be ideal at the Amex, the concourses are long and narrow so by implimenting a 'zig/zag, barriered queueing system (as at theme parks/post offices/banks etc.) running parrallel to the kiosks the benefits are,

1. Stops the concourses being blocked by up to 6 seperate queues (it took us about 10 mins to fight our way through the concourse crowds yesterday to get from one end of the WSU to the other).

2. Should stop people queue jumping and pushing in.

3. Less stress on the people serving in the kiosks by not having a heaving mass of people in their faces all the time.

You may well be right BB. I certainly think it's gotta be worth a go - bearing in mind the shambolic state of affairs at present.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
If you go in the club shop on match days you will see this exact system in place, and it does work very well, ably assisted by a member of staff at the front of the Q who directs you to the next available till.

If this can't be done then they should try out having separate Q's for smart cards only, cash only, beer only etc etc and particulary hot drinks only. Not picking on hot drinks but they are by far the slowest thing to serve up as they have to be made fresh each time, yesterday my Q moved me 5 places to the front while next door didn't move while 3 bovrils & a coffee were being done. Or perhaps have someone making them as they are ordered so the cashier can serve the next person while they wait.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
How annoying is it when queuing for 20mins and the guy it front gets to the till, and suddenly he and the people he is with haven't even discussed what they're going to order and spend another 5mins sorting their order out! Total idiots people that do that...

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Have you never been in a post office, or the club shop on match day even

Well yes, but I have never thought about the queue system in that much depth. I always thought it was a fairer way of queuing, but it never occured to me that it increased the throughflow of customers.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Put mobile drink and food sellers in the stands at half time and allow people to eat and drink in their seats its 2012 for gods sake! also extend half time to 30 minutes and have some entertainment. Everyone would be served, happy and back in their seats ready for the 2nd half.

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
Thinking about it, this is how common check-in at airports work too - when all check-in desks check-in for all flights at the same time. Same for security at an airport. Would love to see this trialled.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Cardiff have this and it worked a treat - but they have a MASSIVE concourse area.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
That video takes me back to my early days at BTI when the Bulk Traffic Records & Traffic Distribution Records were all recorded in Erlangs and I had to write down all the figures captured by a machine at the end of the switchroom , take the form down to the Traffic Office so they could analyse it. This would be the basis for a draft staffing rota which the union would disagree with. The union then drew up their own proposals for a new rota which management would accept and any grief from the staff after it was implemented was then directed back at the union.

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
It has taken me a while to work out how the queues are so tragically awful at the Amex and yet in German with 60000 there is no problem. And finally I have grasped it, and sorry it is not this queue business, although it does seem logical.

Answer - Not being able to take beer into the stand.

In germany you can drink in the stadium itself. Thus you do not get 10,000 people leg it out to neck a beer at half time. They take carriers of 2 / 4 or 6 pints in and people come round and top up if necc without the need to leave your seat or terracing. Thus leaving zero queues for people who need a pie or hotdog etc. SIMPLES. Get the rules re beer changed and problem solved. BUT as that is not going to happen we will all just have to deal with it.

Blackcap

Nov 6, 2011
Shoreham by Sea
If you have 1 queue for 8 tills, the throughflow may be better overall but the queue is 8 times longer when you join it, so the benefit is not as great as the video makes out. However it does avoid the situation where you get stuck behind 1 person ordering for 12 people.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here